Why nerds are unpopular (this is lengthy)

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Well that certainly was lengthy, but at the end, I have only one reaction.

*stands up to applaud*
While I am in the applaude camp I would point out that it isn't a revelation. I once wrote a lengthy, and heavily teacher abusive, comparison between school life and nazi germany if it wasn't allowed to tip over into "Final Solution" territory... good times.

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
That was very long, but a damn good read. I was a nerd in high school, but I was never really bullied (the few times people tried I just walked away to somewhere populated and didn't care)

I agree with the "they aren't popular because they aren't trying to be" idea, I wore the same hoodie pretty much every day (I washed it a lot calm down) and I didn't give a second though to "hey maybe people will like it if I do this."

The only downside is that I didn't have many friends (but a certain awesome online brigade helped a little)

but still, A+ post

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
That was quite interesting, albeit loooooong. It also went a bit off topic around half way as well.
I have never understood the term "popular" though. Judging from American high school TV iv watched, the "popular" group is pretty similar in size to any other. Being "popular" implies you're liked by a lot of people, but that can't be the case if you are disliked by every other social group.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I tend to somewhat disagree with this article. For clarity, I wasn't either nerdy or extremely popular. I had a group of close friends and a lot of acquaintances. In honesty, I was more in the "popular" crowd. What set the difference between the popular and unpopular had almost zero to do with intelligence, rather it was social skills and/or social differences. The "nerds" in my school were very socially awkward and didn't quite grasp human interaction. These type of people get too clingy when someone shows them any attention and don't necessarily say appropriate things. Most "nerds" in my school would be C average students and only perceived to be intelligent due to their interests (and yes, most of them actually tried to do well in school). My friends and I, in fact, shared very similar interests to these "nerds" but due to their social awkwardness, we didn't want to hang out with them. It was more of an indifference.

Although I agree with public school being nothing like the real world, the so-called "nerds", unfortunately don't prosper. It will always be the popular. There are cases, of course, with the very unpopular nerd becoming a huge success. This is a direct correlation to intelligence, not popularity. Unfortunately, it's still the attractive, strong, and well liked people that will go further and become more successful in life.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
wow, long and a good read

anyways, another potential reason is that nerds/smart people don't see the fun in going to the 'secret' parties, or any of the other pointlessly dangerous/stupid events when they have other hobbies...at least this was in part true for me

I was kind of nerd and had a job at a restaurant and volunteered at the county historical society, but had friends in the pot head/drinking party groups. the only problem is kids tend to party at night...the same time i was working, or be getting up early to work at historical society; so i never had the chance to pursue avenues of being popular by doing dangerous/stupid things at parties

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
On the contrary, I know a lot of really smart popular kids.

Most "nerds" choose not to interact with the "popular" kids (this essay seems to illustrate that point pretty well). Many see them as beneath them.
Don't try to deny it! Jocks just end up retaliating by making fun of 'em.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Super good read. I think I started to really get this in 10th grade (now in 12th), and I'm really really excited that I'm almost done with this shit. By the waywhat happend today kiddo? A person couldn't remember the presidents first name. Somehow this wasn't met with revulsion! :D

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
*claps* Never has anyone hit the nail on the head any better. I almost completely agree with you on this. I'm not picked on (My public high school is part of the "rich" district of my suburb, so there's lots of rules and adults with poles shoved up their asses to stop bullying, you know like, there's cameras, and kids who get in fights are immediately expelled...that sort of thing) but I am a background smart nerdy person. I knew I was a step ahead of everyone all along MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ....sorry....

Oh and Huray! 500th Post!

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Where do I fall in then? I'm a B student and wouldn't consider myself intelligent, I have no trouble getting friends but mostly just keep in touch with a select few. I guess I would consider myself a nerd a few years ago but once you learn the inner workings of highschool it become quite easy to make friends. "Popular kids" are interested in social matters much like nerds are interested in books and hobbies. I never much liked talking to people in my age because they always complain about problems that are seriously unworthy of any kind of worry. It just became a game of saying the right things with them and seeming deep and caring. When I really don't care.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I never cared too much about bing popular. I didn't even realize I was part of the "popular" kids until I switched schools and I didn't know anyone.

The schools I went to actually looked down on the "average" kids. True, there were some popular kids that were athletes, but they were roughly the same as the kids that made 4.0s and above. I found myself right about the middle. It's not that my academic performance was bad, in fact, I was in the top 10% or so, but I simpy wasn't as social as the others. I had my group of friends and the others could disappear for all I cared.

I've been popular, I've been unpopular, but I think the best place to be as far as that goes is firmly in the middle. That's middle and highschool though.

Once you get to college, everyone's too busy either partying or studying to care. You'll probably never see them again anyway, so what does it matter if you show them all up or make a fool of yourself? In my psych course in my first term in college, I was a dual enrollment student. I was one of three in the class. The teacher asked after we took out first test if anyone made a 100% and I raised my hand. I got glares from the rest of the students and smirk from the teacher. He went over the answers and asked if I still thought I had a 100%. I said yes, and the next day I had the class, he handed my my paper and said, "Here's your 100%." loud enough for the whole class to hear.

Instead of being looked down upon by the whole class, a group of the students who did well but not quite the 100% (I was the only one to make a 100% on that test) came to me and we formed a study group. I made some friends out of it and didn't get any more dirty looks from the rest of the class.

Once you get more comfortable in your own skin, you'll realize that being popular isn't all you thought it was. This isn't to say that being liked isn't a good thing. On the contrary, it's easier to get things done when people like you and think you're a nice person. I smile and wave or say good morning to people I see on my way to class, and every one of them does the same. They probably all would say, "Oh that guy? He's nice, always has a smile." or something along those lines even though they've never spoken to me other than "Good morning." I'm not popular per se, but a lot of people now have a positive view of me, which makes things easier in the long run. You never know where the connections you make might take you.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
intelligence correlating to unpopularity is bullshit you do realize this... You ought to.

It's really pretty damn easy to find smart, sexy, and cool all in one package.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
rekabdarb said:
o_O WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL OF TEXT. i'll get around to finishing it in a bit, but holy shit why the hell did you put a 2-3 page essay on the fucking escapist
Why not?

A very well written and thought provoking article. It's got me thinking about how my time in school could have been improved with some real world focus and an actual goal to aim for.

OakTaooper

Jul 24, 2010
This obviously doesn't apply to where I went to high school, because we nerds were the TOP of the list. People revered us. This is how we went:
1: We "nerds". I use this collectively to encompass all geeks, computer nerds, and bookworms.
2: Was actually the Science Club, and you didn't have to be a nerd to be in Science Club.
3: Now we get to your athlete/cheerleaders. They weren't that high up, mainly because we sucked at sports. Except golf.
4: This is your druggies.
5: The stereotypical emo/skank level. We hated them. And they hated us. It was mutual.