Why not own the console you WANT!

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I own all 3 consoles and a gaming PC, but I wait until there are enough unique games that I'm interested in (minimum of 5) and for a price drop before buying. The exception was the Wii because I REALLY wanted Twilight Princess. I bought my 360 around the beginning of 2009 and didn't get a PS3 until November.

Onyx Oblivion said:
When I get my PS3, it will collect more dust than the average Wii, though. Why? Because I only really want Ratchet & Clank. I'd play the 2 full games, the downloadable one, and be done. My Wii get used a bit more than the average one, though. Thanks, Gamecube games!
Trust me, they are worth the price of the console. Don't think I've ever laughed so much while playing a game

Darkhill

May 17, 2008
Don't listen to these people, Vanitygirl! They-a have a no passion! Mamma Mia! They do not love videogames, they should be shunned to the casual crowd! They don't even understand the joys of out-of-control spending, they hate capitalism! Enjoy your PCs, Comrades!

I own not only all 3, but all 3 last gens, N64, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive, NES and Master System! Plus a few handhelds. I'm out of room, so I have to stop for now. I have so many games to get through, waiting for releases is no problem. I never played the FF games back in the day, so I'm on catch up. FFVIII demands so much! But it is my passion! I'll never stop!

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Well at one point I actually had all consoles.

I got tired of the 360's bullshit failure rate, so I got rid of it. That's the only reason I don't have an Xbox.

That and how I don't really like their exclusive games.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
In my opinion, the Wii is a total piece of shit and there is nothing on the 360 I want that isn't on the PS3.

TheEngineer

Feb 17, 2010
I have a gaming PC and an xbox 360 and thats all i need to get my Fallout1,2,3 and my Halo on =D

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Ever seen any people complain about games not being released on their gaming platform of choice? Of course you have.

The way to end the console war is simple, buy ALL consoles.

Now, a lot of you will probably quit reading there, quote me and says "But teh money!"

Ah yes, the money involved in owning all three consoles (and a decent gaming computer). It seems like a lot doesn't it? Well actually, not anymore.

You see, the great thing about the consoles being out for a few years means that they are CHEAP (for their modern hardware). I bought a second Wii for $150!

Let's get down to the nitty gritty, the cost of owning all 3 consoles. Chances are, you already own at least one console (unless you're a computer gamer).
If you own a PS3 (about $200-300 depending on how new and where you buy), then you'll be spending anywhere from $350-500 on the Wii and 360 (if you get the 360elite, you'll be spending $300).

Who says you have to buy a console new anyways?! I bought my Wii used with a couple of games, for only $150 as mentioned earlier.

Now, let's think about how much you spend on games. If you're a person who likes to dabble in games and will just buy a game or two with each paycheck, then owning alll consoles is a real possibility for you.

A new game usually runs at about $65.
Three new games will cost you $195, which is close to the price of a new console.
Between gaming droughts in which nothing good is coming out, it would be pretty easy for you to save the money to buy a new console.
And of course, if you buy consoles from friends, you'll get them far cheaper than buying from stores.

Please give me your thoughts.
hmm Well I'm 2/3 there (console wise, 3/4 by platforms).

The problem is I do find myself using my PS3 much more than my 360, though I did get the ultra-cheap Arcade version.

I just can't justify buying a Wii at the moment, the price is as high as an Xbox Arcade yet less games I am interested in and lower graphical standards.

Yes, graphics don't make good games, but neither does money. Both are separate from the art and together. I will pay top dorrah for good graphics, lower graphics I will not be as willing to fork over the cash. Money = graphics. And Wii is only as powerful as my old Gamecube which I still have not had all my fill with and I got that for £30 over 5 years ago.

Wii was a good price in 2006 but times have changed, I still can't find a Wii for under £100 which is still more than I consider the system worth.

Overall, the best system to have is a capable PC for gaming first, then a PS3 because it's also handy as a blu-ray/PVR/media-player. 360 third as it's got at least 10 good exclusive titles and I guess Wii last on your list of priorities.

You know the thing that annoys me the most? It's that the dolphin emulator runs Wii games just fine, better than fine, it runs them at 720p with anti-aliasing yet it is illegal and piracy... :(

Ah, role on E3, I shall make my decision there.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Julianking93 said:

I got tired of the 360's bullshit failure rate, so I got rid of it. That's the only reason I don't have an Xbox.

how many fails and in what context? Replacements? Refurbishments? What kinda usage? Also your Bank Account Details? :)

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
"But it doesn't cost THAT much!"

Yes. Yes it bloody does. Maybe in the land of milk and honey you can get games for $65, but where I'm from new games run at $110 Australian.

I also owe a lot of money in car stuff, and I'm saving to go overseas. I can't afford a new pair of shoes right now, not to mention 2 new consoles and a gaming PC. Then $110 games.

If your solution was so obvious and simple, there wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
FireballKatomi said:
Gaming droughts? If you honestly need to buy a new game each month (or every few months for that matter), then I suggest picking up a hobby. You'll spend around the same money.
Uh... gaming is a hobby. So I guess you'd spend exactly the same money.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Deiphagia said:
Because usually gamers don't have that much money to basically throw away. Almost all good games come out on PC anyway, so just get a PC and there you go.
And the ones that don't come out on the PC aren't that hard to run on an emulator.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Well i don't have the time to play that many games in teh first place, and iwth my PC, PS3 and Wii i'm already missing out on good games i'd have acces too due to lakc of time, so i don't really see the need to buy a 360 since theres already more than enough games for my current systems.

I am thinking about buying a gaming labtop though, cause then i'd be able to game and do homework (3d stuff) while at work (yeah i don't have to do much, one of my co-workers spends most of his worktime raiding in WoW)

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Treblaine said:
Julianking93 said:

how many fails and in what context? Replacements? Refurbishments? What kinda usage? Also your Bank Account Details? :)
9 fails in total, 6 replacements, I had to buy the other 3, used about 2 - 3 hours every couple of days in a 65F degree room, stored in a case that left it with room to breathe just as instructed and my Visa card number is 409- HEY, wait a second

AndyboyH

May 19, 2010
I own all three. I tend to use the PS3 more for Blu Ray and the odd exclusive (Heavy Rain, Katamari Forever) and to be honest I don't touch the Wii as much as I used to. I'll still keep it for the odd game that interests me, but it doesn't have the same pull it once did. There's definitely too many games to play at the moment, and I do give preference to the 360 titles...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
To this all I can say is, I'd LOVE to have an extra $500-700. But I don't. I can't even afford a Wii. Glad you can. Good for you. Now bugger off...

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
VanityGirl said:
You see, the great thing about the consoles being out for a few years means that they are CHEAP.
For who?
I have my own college debt, my wife's university debt, our car payments, insurance, rent, and living expenses.
It would cost me about $500 to own the other two consoles (I already have a 360), not including extra controllers or any games. If I had $500 laying around, I would put it to better use...like bills and debt, or toward saving up for a down payment for a house.

I love gaming, and I would love to have all three consoles...but it is certainly not cheap, and it's certainly not a high priority. Besides, the only people who get their feathers ruffled in a console war are the insecure wieners who can't just let people enjoy games, regardless of platform.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
There's no good reason not to aside from the Financial Burden, I own every system aside from a decent gaming PC. However the Financial Burden is pretty intense, that's a LOT of money.