Why not?

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Most people on forum sites in general will not have a real picture of themselves. I don't see why. It really doesn't bother me its more of just a question as to why do you personally not have a real picture of yourself. I would make a poll but there are so many reasons to not do it. Unless you have a picture of your real self if so uhm...what made you decide to put a real picture of yourself up?
Personally i got tired of trying to find something that would make people laugh when they saw it or be impressed in anyway so i just put me looking, what i consider awesome, in a tux.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I have no problem with it. My profile has a link to my Facebook account. It's just not really the norm and it does seem a bit unusual somehow. My profile pic is my 360 Avatar so I guess that's close...

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Unless I trust the site, I won't post any personal pictures. And also because I think I'm fuck ugly >>

But, I posted a picture of myself a while back, so that means I trust the lot of you at least enough for you to see me ^-^

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
Because anonymity is nice to have sometimes - it allows you to be more honest.

Though I have posted pictures of myself here before, quite a while ago. It was only for a little while (in one of those "Behind the Avatar" threads), then I took them down again when the thread had ran it's course.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
I'm camera shy. I don't actually have any pictures of myself and don't really want to bother to get one.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I don't really put pictures of myself out on the web as a rule. And, though this may sound arrogant, I get enough guys hounding me in real life. I don't need more on the 'net.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Julianking93 said:
Unless I trust the site, I won't post any personal pictures. And also because I think I'm fuck ugly >> Awwww, don't talk like that! You posted a picture of yourself in the last picture thread and everyone was complementing you and stuff!

But, I posted a picture of myself a while back, so that means I trust the lot of you at least enough for you to see me ^-^ Yay!
OT: I don't really have a problem with it. I have a kind of old photo of myself in the "photo" section of my profile, your welcome to see me whenever you want. I can be nervous posting pictures of myself on websites though as I'm pretty self-conscious when it comes to the way I look.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think its cause some people thing that people will steal their identity.

Or they just are confident int heir looks.

I know i posted a reall pic of me here once and i got compared to the ENN cast.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I don't have a fear of people seeing my face, but I use facebook for that.

I use different avatars because they're more distinctive, and I like to have an avatar that is easily associated with my posts in a thread - so I can find where I last posted more easily, as well as develop a visual reputation amongst other users.

The avatar is, naturally, something I assocaite with or enjoy.

Here I am using my Xbox Live avatar because frankly it's a good feature for the boards to have and i'm making use of it.
Likewise, on the Bungie.net forums I use my in-game emblem - which for reference is a crown over a coffee cup, but the crown is coloured orange so it looks like an explosion coming out of the cup. My friends refer to it as a 'cup of blam', which in and of itself is a meta-joke referring to the fact that all swearwords are censored to "-blam-" on the Bungie forums.

Elsewhere where I have the option to pick my own avatar I sometimes use album covers (such as Muse's Absolution or Fear Factory's Deconstruction solely for their visual distinction), or the character art for the Malkavian clan from Vampire: the Masquerade 3rd edition.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
I tend not to because I know of at least half a dozen people who, have in the past and will again, save pictures and use them in online an persona or two for either trolling or impersonating with ill intent.

If I can name that many, then how many more would do that and how many more would do worse.

Is there really a need or a point to share personal things like that with the internet?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Because I have absolutely no clue where a camera is, how to transfer photos onto my computer, am not willing to buy a webcam, or make a Photobucket account for an image no one's probably going to see.

Being technologically lazy saves me time.

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
Mr. Google said:
Most people on forum sites in general will not have a real picture of themselves. I don't see why. It really doesn't bother me its more of just a question as to why do you personally not have a real picture of yourself. I would make a poll but there are so many reasons to not do it. Unless you have a picture of your real self if so uhm...what made you decide to put a real picture of yourself up?
Personally i got tired of trying to find something that would make people laugh when they saw it or be impressed in anyway so i just put me looking, what i consider awesome, in a tux.
because Dr Who is the sex

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
There are countless more ways you can express yourself that a photo cannot (as easily or something). That, and I don't like to frequently present myself to the randomness of the internet and not because I am worried about identity theft or anything like. I'm fairly private and reserved in real life too. Even my Facebook page rarely has an actual/clear picture of me, but that is more for fun than anything.

Double also, I am actually Yoshi :p

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I don't have a picture of myself on this site because I'm too lazy to upload one. I have lots of pictures of myself elsewhere online.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
I like to post artwork i do a lot of the time and this place is not exception, My facebook is a collage of my characters in christmas hats i made, here its papercraft bob-ombs i also made. Beside if i posted my face as my avatar it wouldnt have as much flair, my face wouldnt leave much of an impression.