Why People Love Atreus - God of War - Spoilers

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR POTENTIALLY EVERY LEVEL OF GOD OF WAR.

So, felt like kind of putting this down after several different GoW discussions and videos that I've watched, and what it helped to sort of solidify in my head.

I know not everyone likes Atreus, I'm not trying to convince you you're wrong if you don't like him. I'm just putting down what I think is the reason, a lot of people, myself included, DO love him.

This will be mostly just thematic and emotional beats, and have less to do with the game itself.

So, for the most part, he is written like a regular kid, and most of us can empathize with being a kid, perhaps with a fractured home life, and a parent that we don't know how to interact with. Atreus is still young enough to love his father, but old enough to start pushing at the binds of obedience all children are expected to follow without question. The fact that he asks questions all the time, is the most common point of contention between him and Kratos. He is being dragged along on this journey, with someone who does nothing but growl at him, hinting at bigger things, that peak Atreus' interest, but then he is denied any explanation. Kratos just shuts up, growls "Boooooy!", and Atreus goes silent, but clearly frustrated. We all know this feeling. That boundary between childhood innocence and naivety, and the harsh knowledge of adulthood. But having your parents shut you down, "you're too young, you wouldn't understand."

This is of course compounded by the fact that Atreus will make decisions, and because of his lack of information, they are often wrong ones, and Kratos becomes angry at him for not seeing the right solution, when he has been intentionally kept in the dark. Further frustrating Atreus, and driving that rift deeper. But, he still loves his father, and he is still young enough, to likely see his father as a superhero, the strongest man in the world, a god in his eyes. It just so happens that he IS a god, and this just reinforces the hero worship he has for Kratos, and so he, naturally wants to emulate him. You this in lots of ways, from how eager he is to go on this adventure, once he gets a slightly bigger picture of what's going on. It's not just "going to scatter mom's ashes." He's literally being pitted against a pantheon of gods, and various mystical beasts, and realms he's only heard of in legend. This is literally a child's dream come true. To go off with their beloved parent, that the idolize, and live out the various battles and adventures he grew up on. We see him, in the first frame of Atreus, playing with action figures, playing out some epic battle of mythology. So it's something fun to him. How he gleefully hurls himself, literally, into ridiculous danger, because his father is doing it, says HE can do it too, and he wants to trust his father, and he just wants to do that stuff. To live out his fantasies is a dream come true.

This of course terrifies Kratos, because he knows the horrible things he's done, and so he's conflicted with simultaneously having to make his son as strong as a god, but also trying to keep him from knowing that fact.

But, by the end, when Atreus and Kratos are working in tandem, no more conflict, just supporting and helping each other, it's very satisfying. We get to see Atreus, actually do the things he is capable of. We get to vicariously thrill at seeing an ACTUAL CHILD, being strong, being powerful, being a force to be reckoned with, just like we all imagined we were, when we would play in our backyard, and pretend to be Superman or Wonder Woman. And the fact that, in a lot of let's plays of that game that I've watched, in the final fight with Baldur, when they let Atreus off the leash, and he becomes this little fucking badass, you can clearly see so many of them just light up with glee at the scene. They fucking love it. And I did too when it happened. He became an avatar, or spirit totem, for every kid, that leapt off a playground swing, and imagined it was a building. For every kid that played with their dog in the back yard, and pretended he was a mighty steed, or a fearsome dragon that needed to be slain. And it's great. It's so cathartic and appealing, and the fact that Atreus genuinely is a likeable kid (minus his obligatory angsty period), that is usually framed as the one in the moral right. He's the one that wants peace, he doesn't want conflict, he doesn't like learning of people killing each other.

And so we root for Atreus. We want him to get over his emotional instability, partly from his father, and partly simply because he's a kid, and doesn't know any better yet. We cheer when he acts like a Big Damn Hero, and actually has the skills and power to back it up. It's not some kid standing in front of Rhino, with a Spiderman pajama outfit on. No, this is a fucking god, a child yes, but still a god. With power and strength beyond mortal kin. We want him to grow up and be a good person, the same thing his father wants. We want to see him become something that we all still secretly wish for, in our little kid soul, to be a hero.

Reactions: Hades and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know not everyone likes Atreus, I'm not trying to convince you you're wrong if you don't like him.
The only ones I know that dislike Atreus that bad are maybe Gaming Brit and some assholes on GameFAQs. And even then, GB hates the gameplay more than anything else.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The only ones I know that dislike Atreus that bad are maybe Gaming Brit and some assholes on GameFAQs. And even then, GB hates the gameplay more than anything else.
Yeah I mostly just put that there because this is the internet, and if you don't disclaimer the shit out of things, invariably people will be like "I don't like him, I think he sucks, and here's why." And I get tired of those de-railings, so I try and head them off at the pass.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Honestly I'm pretty indifferent about him and only appreciate his presence because I like Kratos (he's a horrible person but a fun character to follow). I wasn't crazy about his personality 180 and back but tolerated them because they advanced Kratos narrative. But he's otherwise he's pretty bland as far as character goes. It sounds like next GoW will have Kratos die and be replaced by Atreus which could work if they give him enough time to develop personality quirk, but I really hope the next game isn't 100% him.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I liked his humorous side, I guess when you learn his other name it makes sense but he always had this prankster kid air of someone who wanted to tease but also not disappoint his dad so he was always playing with the line of being wacky and a prankster but not TOO much and getting yelled at. The balancing act made the interactions fun. Also he's kinda like the eyes you see the world through, his reactions are more colorful than Kratos just grunting and scowling at everything they come across. He basically does the lion's share of the labor in characterizing the world and making it feel compelling so you can't hate him if you liked the game's story and feel.

I didn't much care for the bit where he went all emo, but the parts after it were super good as well.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I liked his humorous side, I guess when you learn his other name it makes sense but he always had this prankster kid air of someone who wanted to tease but also not disappoint his dad so he was always playing with the line of being wacky and a prankster but not TOO much and getting yelled at. The balancing act made the interactions fun. Also he's kinda like the eyes you see the world through, his reactions are more colorful than Kratos just grunting and scowling at everything they come across. He basically does the lion's share of the labor in characterizing the world and making it feel compelling so you can't hate him if you liked the game's story and feel.

I didn't much care for the bit where he went all emo, but the parts after it were super good as well.
Yeah, see even without the "reveal", he just felt like a regular kid to me. Playful, silly, willing to tease his dad when he gets the opportunity, etc. Nothing about it felt like it was simply because he's Loki. He was just...a kid.

And yes, his emo phase was annoying, but that was on point of course. To show you that something was wrong with him. That he wasn't acting like himself, to the point that Kratos....KRATOS...is like "dude, you're being an ass, wtf? That was cold." I also loved how, if you notice, every time he had an outburst in his emo phase, the sky would react to it. Thunder would rumble, the skies would cloud over as well. Like he was unconsciously interacting with the heavens. And the entire time he is unconscious, and Kratos is going to try and find a way to cure him, the skies are in constant storm.

A lot of subtle work went into his presentation.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't know about love but I liked him enough. The emo shift was annoying but that was kind of the point. Mostly I resent the implication that he's gonna replace Kratos, the actual character I wanna play as.

Reactions: MrCalavera

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know about love but I liked him enough. The emo shift was annoying but that was kind of the point. Mostly I resent the implication that he's gonna replace Kratos, the actual character I wanna play as.
If it happens, it happens. Kratos can't carry this franchise forever. Nero is taking over for Dante and everything's turning out just fine.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It sounds like next GoW will have Kratos die and be replaced by Atreus which could work if they give him enough time to develop personality quirk, but I really hope the next game isn't 100% him.
Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I doubt they'd put this much work into reimagining Kratos just to kill him off in the second game. I know the previous game foreshadowed it, but that felt too blatant for it not to turn out to be a fake-out, or used as a reason fight one's fate, a thing Kratos has a knack for. A lesson Atreus might take from his father. But then I also thought Naughty Dog would never go for the incredibly trite decision of killing Joel in TLoU2, so what the fuck do I know.

As for liking Atreus... Yeah I really like him, but that's primarily because of how well he plays off of Kratos. For me a lot if it also has to do with him sounding and acting like a genuine child, because he's played by an actual child -- Can you imagine Atreus being played by a voice acting staple putting on a kid voice? *shudder* Santa Monica Studios took a big gamble casting a real child in such a prominent role and it really payed off.

supernova95

May 21, 2021
Country
United States
i find him pretty annoying, like a spoilt brat, who don't know what to do with a stick, so he just beats the bushes. hopefully, there will be a good character arc in ragnarock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, that's not gonna happen. I doubt they'd put this much work into reimagining Kratos just to kill him off in the second game. I know the previous game foreshadowed it, but that felt too blatant for it not to turn out to be a fake-out, or used as a reason fight one's fate, a thing Kratos has a knack for. A lesson Atreus might take from his father. But then I also thought Naughty Dog would never go for the incredibly trite decision of killing Joel in TLoU2, so what the fuck do I know.

As for liking Atreus... Yeah I really like him, but that's primarily because of how well he plays off of Kratos. For me a lot if it also has to do with him sounding and acting like a genuine child, because he's played by an actual child -- Can you imagine Atreus being played by a voice acting staple putting on a kid voice? *shudder* Santa Monica Studios took a big gamble casting a real child in such a prominent role and it really payed off.
Well the fact that they foreshadowed it, doesn't mean it will happen next game. It's likely going to be a trilogy of games. So if it happens, it will likely be in the 2nd act of game 3, to build into the final climax. Besides, Kratos dying isn't really a novel thing. It's literally happened to him in like every game.

From the imagery shown in that tapestry, it seems like Kratos dying will be tied to the birth of the World Serpent. The image kind of looks like the snake is coming out of Atreus' screaming mouth as he holds his father's corpse. So perhaps it will be some kind of spirit birth, formed in grief or something? I suspect they are going to do some time travel as well, to let us actually meet the mother in her prime. So we can have a few scenes with both of them, getting a chance to be with her again. Likely also pushing another layer of conflict, in one of them considering abandoning their quest to just stay back then, with her. It might be sort of like a Back to the Future thing, that they reveal they are from the future, which spurs Faye to do the whole "paint the golden path" they follow in the first game, and knowing she will eventually die. I'd actually love to see Atreus with his mother, give them some time on screen together.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I totally didn't see any such implication actually. Not sure where you got that from.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well the fact that they foreshadowed it, doesn't mean it will happen next game. It's likely going to be a trilogy of games. So if it happens, it will likely be in the 2nd act of game 3, to build into the final climax. Besides, Kratos dying isn't really a novel thing. It's literally happened to him in like every game.
I highly doubt he'll "die". If they are setting this up as the Norse mythology trilogy I reckon the upcoming game will feature Thor as the main antagonist, and the next game being all about Odin. And mixed in between we'll get Freya popping in and out to maybe try and kill Kratos, with her eventually letting go of her hate near the end of the third game. And maybe they'll have the second game end with Atreus joining Thor and Odin, him being Loki coming to fruition. That rift between him and Kratos will probably occur, maybe after Atreus finds out the nitty gritty of what happened to Kratos' previous wife and daughter.

From the imagery shown in that tapestry, it seems like Kratos dying will be tied to the birth of the World Serpent. The image kind of looks like the snake is coming out of Atreus' screaming mouth as he holds his father's corpse. So perhaps it will be some kind of spirit birth, formed in grief or something? I suspect they are going to do some time travel as well, to let us actually meet the mother in her prime. So we can have a few scenes with both of them, getting a chance to be with her again. Likely also pushing another layer of conflict, in one of them considering abandoning their quest to just stay back then, with her. It might be sort of like a Back to the Future thing, that they reveal they are from the future, which spurs Faye to do the whole "paint the golden path" they follow in the first game, and knowing she will eventually die. I'd actually love to see Atreus with his mother, give them some time on screen together.
I've heard talks of how the upcoming game might try to show some of how Kratos and Faye met, but I'm a little anxious about that. I loved how the 2018 game gave her a massive presence without ever showing her. It made you feel how important she was to Kratos and Atreus through her absence, so they'd have to handle showing her with tremendous care.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think, like happyninja said, the trilogy with Kratos being killed at the end of 2 and 3rd being Atreus is the most likely outcome, which hopefully will giev enough time for Atreus to grow into a character on his own in the 2nd entry. Even beyond the ending reveal I don't see why they'd go trough so much trouble with Atreus without planning on making him take over the mantle. I could see them making a side game (God of Mischief maybe) with Atreus while keeping Kratos alive in the main line.

I also hope Faye remain unseen, throw some revelation here and there but keep her in the shadow. I do wonder if we'll maybe see like the ghost or something of Kratos first daughter, technically Atreus half-sister.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I highly doubt he'll "die". If they are setting this up as the Norse mythology trilogy I reckon the upcoming game will feature Thor as the main antagonist, and the next game being all about Odin. And mixed in between we'll get Freya popping in and out to maybe try and kill Kratos, with her eventually letting go of her hate near the end of the third game. And maybe they'll have the second game end with Atreus joining Thor and Odin, him being Loki coming to fruition. That rift between him and Kratos will probably occur, maybe after Atreus finds out the nitty gritty of what happened to Kratos' previous wife and daughter.

I've heard talks of how the upcoming game might try to show some of how Kratos and Faye met, but I'm a little anxious about that. I loved how the 2018 game gave her a massive presence without ever showing her. It made you feel how important she was to Kratos and Atreus through her absence, so they'd have to handle showing her with tremendous care.
Idk, that would be a hell of a rug pull if Kratos had to fight his own son. It’d be a pretty unique twist but they’d have to really prepare the audience or it could wind up as another TLoU2 cluster.

The more presumable route I’d always thought would be something like either the end of the next game or somewhere in the third, Kratos would “die” if nothing else than for the sake of transferring gameplay power to Loki. It could be a cool thing where Kratos asks the player to mercy kill him by giving the Loki a blade or something, and that would act as you last gameplay sequence as Kratos and first as Loki.

It’s really up in the air though as it’s tough to really imagine playing as anyone but Kratos in this series.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Idk, that would be a hell of a rug pull if Kratos had to fight his own son. It’d be a pretty unique twist but they’d have to really prepare the audience or it could wind up as another TLoU2 cluster.

The more presumable route I’d always thought would be something like either the end of the next game or somewhere in the third, Kratos would “die” if nothing else than for the sake of transferring gameplay power to Loki. It could be a cool thing where Kratos asks the player to mercy kill him by giving the Loki a blade or something, and that would act as you last gameplay sequence as Kratos and first as Loki.

It’s really up in the air though as it’s tough to really imagine playing as anyone but Kratos in this series.
There's kinda nowhere for Kratos and Atreus' relationship to go but down though. So something will probably happen that tempts or drives Atreus to Odin's side (temporarily). A fight between Kratos and an adult Atreus is an exciting idea if I'm honest -- history repeating itself with children killing their parents. Though obviously with Atreus maybe breaking that cycle.

The 2018 game set up a lot, but I'd be disappointed if Kratos previous wife and daughter's fate didn't come back to truly haunt him and cause a rift between him and Atreus. His son after all still doesn't know his own dad killed them.

I'd be pretty psyched too if maybe some Greek gods came to stir the pot. Aphrodite was never comfirmed dead, though maybe the writers will want to ignore her seeing as she's Kratos' sister and he totally banged her in the third game. Still, can you imagine of they actually brought that up? Good god.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Aphrodite was never comfirmed dead, though maybe the writers will want to ignore her seeing as she's Kratos' sister and he totally banged her in the third game. Still, can you imagine of they actually brought that up? Good god.
It'd be best if they ignored that. Given the new tones for the series, they don't want something like that screwing everything up.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It'd be best if they ignored that. Given the new tones for the series, they don't want something like that screwing everything up.
Probably, but I do want some dirty-ass skeletons to tumble out of the closet. I've said before that I won't be truly satisfied until we get a full-on First Blood level emotional breakdown from Kratos. Him just falling to the floor, blubbering like a child. That'd be way more impactful than him just dying for the umpteenth time.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I know there are some people that don't like Atreus due to his little ''episode'' which always struck me as weird. The kid's got a bad attitude for perhaps five whole minutes before turning into a sweetheart again.

I expect Atreus to become the new main character but only in the third game. I think he'll be playing the damsel in distress for much of the second game due to being Loki who spends a long time chained up in a cave after having killed Baldr, which Atreus had just helped do.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

I suspect, that given Loki's nature as a trickster, he will likely pretend to join the Norse gods, because he sees a way he can stop them, and because he's trying to strike out on his own, not just follow his father's lead (perhaps because of the perceived death of his father, and he tries to avoid it), and the resulting conflict will be Kratos coming up against Atreus and the other Norse, in conflict. Kratos will be all "Turn back Atreus! Don't do this!" thinking his son's gone to the dark side, but it's actually him setting up the Norse for the final destruction. But, if the mural is to be believed, doing so, will mortally wound Kratos, thus bringing about the fate anyway.