why pre-order?

CTU_Agent24

May 21, 2008
Why do people bother pre-ordering a game? This year i have been really let down by about half the games tat have been relesed. You see trailers and game play clips and you think, man that looks awesome. Then it is relesed and you relieve... wow, this blows. (mainly Alone in the dark, and mercenariness 2 (to a lesser extent))
After this year so far... Why bother pre-ordering a game? Why not just wait until the game is released, get some reviews then go buy a copy? (which the shop will have plenty of)

P.S
How could they have stuffed up "Alon in the Dark' All they had to do as copy Resident Evil 4, it wasn't that hard but somehow they managed t blow it. Who was the publisher?

MisterDevil

Sep 6, 2008
Pre-oredering has good parts, i got Warhammer on`line and i don`t regret it. i regret nothing !!

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Because I'm bored of the games I have and don't want to wait around a few weeks to get a new one?

Actually I was trying to think up some witty counter question like "why don't you sell your graphics card for an older model" but couldn't word it properly. Gamers are a lot like gadget geeks - sure it'll cost less later on but they have to have it now.

Besides which, if you haven't played the bad ones, how can you tell what the good ones are?

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
Sometimes preorders come with extra stuff, which is always good.

Apart from that preordering ensures (if it is a particularly popular game E.g. GTA IV) you get a copy on release, and in a way confirms to yourself your 'loyalty' and excitement for a particular game/franchise.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
Preorders sometimes having extra stuff is one reason
Also, preordering guarantees that you'll get the game in question, since they'll keep one reserved for you, so you don't walk in to find that it's sold out

DeadlyFred

Aug 13, 2008
Graustein post=9.71646.732257 said:
Also, preordering guarantees that you'll get the game in question, since they'll keep one reserved for you, so you don't walk in to find that it's sold out
I think the point is... what if the game ends up sucking? Despite all the nifty little nick-nacks you get for pre-ordering, is that really worth having a $60 piece of crap? I'm totally wishing I would've waited on Soul Calibur 4, I could've bought 2-3 other games for 60 bucks. I never pre-order and that reminded me why: if I'm gonna spend that kind of money, it better not suck.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
I pre-ordered 1 game in my life: halo 2.
I ended up hating the game and never played it again after finishing it.
This was also the only game I ever bought without researching it first.(before I buy any game, I watch gameplay videos of it, ask some questions on a gaming forum and read the negative reviews)

#edit
I understand some people want to pre-order when the game comes with extras, I wouldn't because of obvious reasons. But it's like most games, pre-orders are not for the casual gamers and people just trying to find a game they enjoy, they're for fans of the series that could give you a plot analysis, optimal character builds and a complete start-to-end guide without errors.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
DeadlyFred post=9.71646.732274 said:
Graustein post=9.71646.732257 said:
I think the point is... what if the game ends up sucking? Despite all the nifty little nick-nacks you get for pre-ordering, is that really worth having a $60 piece of crap? I'm totally wishing I would've waited on Soul Calibur 4, I could've bought 2-3 other games for 60 bucks. I never pre-order and that reminded me why: if I'm gonna spend that kind of money, it better not suck.
That's why you do the research first. The only game I've ever preordered is Brawl, and I don't regret it one bit.

FuzziBunni

Jun 11, 2008
The free stuff is always nice. Even if it isn't supposed to come. When my boyfriend and I go to the EB Games we always get our games and pre orders from, they sometimes have extra stuff that they were giving away. The know we are always there and have a history with the store, so they like giving it away to us. Even if it's something like a poster, it's better than nothing.

Another reason to pre order is that you can pay off the game slowly instead of one huge chunk of money gone. With a minimum of $5 usually, then stopping in every other week putting down money on it, by the time the game comes out its either paid off or almost there. It's like game lay away! ^_^

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
FuzziBunni> well that last point makes sense to me, even if it's the same price in the end, it's cool to be able to spread the payment over a period of time.

Freebies are nice, but I already have two dozens of gaming, animu and music posters I did not pin to any wall, so more freebies only means more junk in my drawers.

Promo plushies and all are fun, but things like point-of-sale display cardboard giant N64 boxes are cumbersome and I have no idea what to do with them.
Well maybe sell'em on eBay, there are retards ready to pay tens of bucks for that (no offense meant, but more than 0 for this stuff feels retarded to me).

Hell, I have found Wario Land stickers dating back to 1993/94 while cleaning the cabinets under my bookshelf, they were gifts in a magazine along with a Wario lapel pin for the release of Wario Land on the Game Boy (now where is my lapel pin collection is beyond me, I can't remember), an old Genesis Jurassic Park poster, a Mortal Kombat II poster and my Dreamcast KoF'00 advert poster I got with my copy at the game shop.

I know me, freebies end up collecting dust or stuffed in a closet I'll forget to reopen, which means I'll have to throw them with a lot of trash, cause I doubt I'll ever need it.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I pre-oredered a game once. turns out I didn't have to I walk in to see the shelves still stacked with the game in question, that moment kind of removed the I got it reserved so I get a copy before you feeling.

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
I only do it for the exclusive and free stuff that comes with some pre-ordered games,
I have seen very few occasions where one of my local game retailers have sold out all their copies of a new release.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
I pre-order only if it's for a collectors edition.
Only time you actually need to, other than that they usually release enough of a game for you to easily find a copy.

Pre-ordered Fable 2 collectors and Saints Row 2 Initiation pack a couple of days ago.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Wait till the game has been out for a little while; wait till they take it off the machines in store. I went to but CoD4, and I took it to the counter. The guy said 'you know, we've finished with the promotional version that they sent us, you can have it for free'. I said yes please. And loved the game. But it wouldn't matter if I didn't. Because it was FREE.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
CTU_Agent24 post=9.71646.732224 said:
Why do people bother pre-ordering a game? This year i have been really let down by about half the games tat have been relesed. You see trailers and game play clips and you think, man that looks awesome. Then it is relesed and you relieve... wow, this blows. (mainly Alone in the dark, and mercenariness 2 (to a lesser extent))
After this year so far... Why bother pre-ordering a game? Why not just wait until the game is released, get some reviews then go buy a copy? (which the shop will have plenty of)

P.S
How could they have stuffed up "Alon in the Dark' All they had to do as copy Resident Evil 4, it wasn't that hard but somehow they managed t blow it. Who was the publisher?
Some of us live life on the edge.

We are the early adopters-- the innovators.

We are the people that write the reviews that you base your decisions on.

We are the ones who camp outside in the rain and snow just to say "I got it before you."

We are enticed by limited edition pre-order gifts, like art-books and little figurines and other useless shit.

We are too hardcore for you kids, go to bed.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
War Online is the only game I've ever preordered. I just wanted to be there from the start, when everything still fresh and new to everyone and there aren't as many exploiters, farmers and generally jerks. Something I missed out on with WoW.