Why should I spend a gap year/semester abroad in your native country? Hypothetically speaking

bioshockedcriticjrr

Sep 28, 2009
So I'm a college student of indeterminate nationality (not yours) looking to spend a semester abroad. why should I spend that semester in your country. Give your reasons. Also it doesn't have to be just "your country". It can be the city you live in, general area you live in or any and all of the above.

For example, I'm actually from America, the south to be specific. and the reason you should spend a semester abroad here is because, despite you may see on Deliverance, there's genuinely lots of culture and southern hospitality down here.

jakeblues1295

Jun 6, 2011
bioshockedcriticjrr said:
So I'm a college student of indeterminate nationality (not yours) looking to spend a semester abroad. why should I spend that semester in your country. Give your reasons. Also it doesn't have to be just "your country". It can be the city you live in, general area you live in or any and all of the above.

For example, I'm actually from America, the south to be specific. and the reason you should spend a semester abroad here is because, despite you may see on Deliverance, there's genuinely lots of culture and southern hospitality down here.
Just don't come here to the Appalachian mountains.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
despite you may see on Deliverance, there's genuinely lots of culture and southern hospitality down here.
And a couple of insane hill people that want you to squeel little piggy squeel.

I couldn't resist.

You should come to the UK .... we have glorious weather .... as long as you like it miserable as feth.

Just don't go London. Visit Lancashire, we have Scousers ... everybody loves Scousers.

It's the only place in the world you will have your car tyres stolen .... while doing 30 mile an hour.

bioshockedcriticjrr

Sep 28, 2009
usmarine4160 said:
Go to South Africa! Then go check out the culture in the outlining shanty towns, and experience what it's like to be "necklaced"
I was actually seriously considering going to south africa. also, I don't wanna know what necklaced is, do I?

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Well you could come here to Western Australia. There's lot's of variety tourism wise, we've got beaches, desert and wilderness. And the weather is generally nice if a bit on the hot side. There's things here that are mundane to me, like the native wildlife but foreigners seem to get a kick out of seeing kangaroos and koalas.

That's all I can think of. Guess I'm not really a great spokesman for my home.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Wandering_Hero said:
I never really understood the point of going abroad for a gap year
I am from Minnesota but the best part of my college experience was a semester in New York City. If you enjoy a busy life, don't mind crowds, like cities, and don't mind the very big price tags on things (good God NY is expensive...don't live in NYC, live outside it and train/subway in), I would strongly recommend going to NYC (especially if your major is in entertainment of some kind).

The reason why it's a good idea is that you get a brand new experience. You're not a tourist, you are actually living there. While both Minnesota and New York are in the same country, it is a world of a difference. Also, due to the costs, it was the kick in the ass I needed to start working much harder in college.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Lizardon said:
There's things here that are mundane to me, like the native wildlife but foreigners seem to get a kick out of seeing kangaroos and koalas.

That's all I can think of. Guess I'm not really a great spokesman for my home.
Don't forget the excitement of Perth.

I don't really get the idea of gap year. The biggest draw of the U.S. is the quantity I guess. Quite large, lots of monuments.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
there's genuinely lots of culture and southern hospitality down here.
Okay, before I read through the rest, I'm going to have to ask you what you mean by "southern hospitality." I was gone from my small hometown for a few years, and when I came back, there were people from the area* that called me an outsider n such, and the few new kids we get have a hell of a time. I was in probably the most mellow class we've had in years.

*my hometown was small and there were a few communities that had kids that would merge during highschool, that's why I say area

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Don't know if you want me to sell my temporary current place of residence, or where I actually live/grew up, so I'll do both in that order. Well, we have nice beaches in Dorset, I personally don't care for them, but I hear that beaches are apparently popular with the young folk, also plenty of places to get stabbed a drink in Bournemouth, there's a fair few clubs and lot's of students. As for Somerset or particularly Bath, it's nice and quiet, not quite having the irritating noise and congestion of a mjor city, but still having everything you need if you want to go shopping around and has quite a bit of history to the place in particular with it's architecture. Other than that it's probably about the same as any other place...