Why Skyrim sucked for me and how i could have enjoyed it more.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Because they are Mages? and could, at least in lore, easily kill pretty much any intruder with ease?
Are you asking me or telling me?

TES lore says all sorts of things that never happen in-game. Doesn't seem very realistic for the mages to leave such an important site unattended even if they did manage to find one of the few unpickable locks in Tamriel to slap on that place. Skyrim's bandits are very fond of ruins and the majority of them are decent excavators disregarding the odd tunnel collapse. It doesn't follow that they would lock up Sarthaal and then just take it on faith that it would be impenetrable forever after.

There's a lot we can explain away with a little speculation but there's a breaking point for this kind of suspension of disbelief. The devs weren't thinking about realism when they created Skyrim either because they couldn't afford to or just didn't care and this applies to most of Skyrim. They made an action-rpg that's shiny on the surface but brittle towards its core because that's what people fall for.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Vern5 said:
TES lore says all sorts of things that never happen in-game. Doesn't seem very realistic for the mages to leave such an important site unattended even if they did manage to find one of the few unpickable locks in Tamriel to slap on that place.
Its not unattended, Arniel Gane is there.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Vern5 said:
TES lore says all sorts of things that never happen in-game. Doesn't seem very realistic for the mages to leave such an important site unattended even if they did manage to find one of the few unpickable locks in Tamriel to slap on that place.
Its not unattended, Arniel Gane is there.
You probably should have led with that info.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Vern5 said:
Loonyyy said:
That patrols mod you mentioned sounds impressive, I'll have to give it a go. Does it have a performance hit? I'd always assumed the lack of battles etc was due to the limitations of the engine, how much power it would take.
Bethesda cut a lot of content due to the limitations of the 360 and the PS3 rather than the game's engine. Immersive Patrols hasn't cost me much performance and I run Skyrim on a laptop. The only time where it might cause visual lag would be when you're right at the epicenter of two patrols meeting in combat, especially if those patrols have mages, which they usually do.

You can grab if off of Nexus or the workshop right now, just be prepared for a lot of fighting if you chose a side in the war; each squad has about 4-5 soldiers and I've seen as many as four squads traveling together and then clashing with another four squads.

One time I saw a group of Thalmor engage a veritable army of Stormcloaks. The Stormcloaks mopped them up pretty quickly. Then an equally large group of Imperials wandered in from another road and suddenly it was a 20 v 20 matchup. They were only a few seconds into the fight when a dragon showed up and started torching all of them. That's when it got weird. The Imperials and Stormcloaks that were hit by the fire teamed up to take on the dragon, but the ones who were lucky enough to dodge the flames kept killing their original opponents. AI couldn't make up its mind and the Dragon ended up killing most of them (not to mention a passing hunter) until I finally decided to step in.
That's awesome. I've got a beast of a machine, so I expect I'll be right, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get any out of control threads or memory leaks.

RionP

Feb 22, 2012
If there's one thing I really hate, it's people who think the longbow was a wonder weapon because the English won the battles of Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt.

I'm not in this discussion to win and I'm willing to concede longbows might have advantages, but that requires a battle mentioned where the longbow significantly contributed to the English victory, without the nglish having the frankly ludicrous terrain advantage they had in all three aforementioned battles.

Despite the battles of Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt. The English Longbow is not a wonder weapon beating crossbows at everything other than training time and piercing plate armour from 100 yards away, for the same reason you can't say English schools students are much smarter than French ones because they both had the same test and the English performed better, only with the English allowed to use books and internet during the test while the French weren't allowed to use either.

Mention a battle where the English longbow won over the crossbow in a ranged fight, but with the following restrictions (in order to say it was actually the bow and not the terrain that won the battle):
1) The English did not have height advantage by standing on top of a hill and firing down on the French army.
2) The terrain did not limit the deployment of the French army by having a bank with a narrow gap the entire army has to funnel through.
3) There was no trouble with logistics meaning the French crossbowmen were underequipped while the English longbowmen were not.
4) The English did not have enough time on the battlefield, before battle, to erect field fortifications.

Mention a battle that actually proves longbow superiority by having the longbowmen defeat the crossbowmen (not merely the English defeat the French) without the terrain advantage they had at the three famous battles.

Note: I still don't get where the idea that crossbows had to have three handlers comes from, or the idea that crossbows were limited to France. Post-Crusades (and the massive increase in crossbow power composite technology brought) and pre-mid-14th century most of mainland Europe had their trained and drilled town militias use crossbows, as well as the experienced and veteran mercenaries. Bows were used by hunters and rural people who lived too far from the city centers to afford crossbows.

After the mid 14th century crossbows became more common even amongst the more rural people, and by the 15th century there were two types of ranged troops in Europe, Crossbowsmen and Handgunners, with the exceptions being the borders such as the British Isles, the Slavic Eastern Europe and the Venetians.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Loonyyy said:
That's awesome. I've got a beast of a machine, so I expect I'll be right, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get any out of control threads or memory leaks.
Nah, you'll be fine. Some of the patrols get a little lost after they've had a big fight or just stop moving altogether but they get cleared and reset daily so they don't cause problems.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Vern5 said:
SajuukKhar said:
they should make guild plotlines progress in some way even if you dont join them
That would blow my goddamn mind just from a technical standpoint.

If all of the major guild questlines actually played out their events without any player interaction and I could hear about it from other NPCs in the game that would just amaze the hell out of me. Sure, I would get to miss out on all of the lame dungeon crawling and plot railroading but at least Skyrim would feel like an actual place instead of a Dragonborn-centric theme park.
This would have improved Skyrim hugely for me. It's what impressed me so much about Fallout: New Vegas. Major plot events occur regardless of your involvement and it's wonderful.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Thespian said:
This would have improved Skyrim hugely for me. It's what impressed me so much about Fallout: New Vegas. Major plot events occur regardless of your involvement and it's wonderful.
Huh? There's no major plot point in NV that doesn't occur with your direct involvement.

The legion will never take camp forlorn hope, or vice versa, neither side will start the second battle of hoover dam, or recruit the factions thye need without yoru help.

theres not even a random encounter system to support having the NCr and Legion having small bands of troops fighting each other.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Thespian said:
Vern5 said:
SajuukKhar said:
they should make guild plotlines progress in some way even if you dont join them
That would blow my goddamn mind just from a technical standpoint.

If all of the major guild questlines actually played out their events without any player interaction and I could hear about it from other NPCs in the game that would just amaze the hell out of me. Sure, I would get to miss out on all of the lame dungeon crawling and plot railroading but at least Skyrim would feel like an actual place instead of a Dragonborn-centric theme park.
As someone who just recently replayed Fallout New Vegas, I dont recall anything like that occurring ever in the game?

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Huh? There's no major plot point in NV that doesn't occur with your direct involvement.

The legion will never take camp forlorn hope, or vice versa, neither side will start the second battle of hoover dam, or recruit the factions thye need without yoru help.

theres not even a random encounter system to support having the NCr and Legion having small bands of troops fighting each other.
The_Blue_Rider said:
As someone who just recently replayed Fallout New Vegas, I dont recall anything like that occurring ever in the game?
Okay, weird, it's possible that I'm mistaken, but on my first run-through I allied myself with Yes Man, and

I'm pretty sure that as I progressed in the quest, the President was assassinated and the Monorail was blown up. These are events that you can instigate as a member of the legion or prevent as a soldier of the NCR, but they happen as you progress in the plot even if you are completely disconnected from either side. I'm not saying the whole world progresses without you, or that it couldn't have been done better, but playing the game the first time and hearing that the president was assassinated I thought that was a fixed event. Replaying it, I was surprised to see that I could not only be a part of it but I could prevent it. Maybe you don't notice this stuff if you side with Legion or NCR.

I guess the way I phrased it, it sounded like I was saying all major plot events can occur without your involvement. That's not what I meant though, I just meant some of them.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Thespian said:
Okay, weird, it's possible that I'm mistaken, but on my first run-through I allied myself with Yes Man, and

I'm pretty sure that as I progressed in the quest, the President was assassinated and the Monorail was blown up. These are events that you can instigate as a member of the legion or prevent as a soldier of the NCR, but they happen as you progress in the plot even if you are completely disconnected from either side. I'm not saying the whole world progresses without you, or that it couldn't have been done better, but playing the game the first time and hearing that the president was assassinated I thought that was a fixed event. Replaying it, I was surprised to see that I could not only be a part of it but I could prevent it. Maybe you don't notice this stuff if you side with Legion or NCR.

I guess the way I phrased it, it sounded like I was saying all major plot events can occur without your involvement. That's not what I meant though, I just meant some of them.
Both of those things can only happen if you are doing the i put a spell on you quest(the monorail blowing up) or you are sent to the forced "Arizona killer" quest(Kimball), which is part of the MQ.

Neither of those things can just happen without the player taking the quest.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Thespian said:

Both of those things can only happen if you are doing the i put a spell on you quest(the monorail blowing up) or you are sent to the forced "Arizona killer" quest(Kimball), which is part of the MQ.

In his defense, Ranger Station Charlie gets wrecked by the Legion without the player's direct involvement and you get a chance to see it before and after said wrecking.

I personally love background/independent world events and other things that make an open world feel independent of the player. This is why I use the Skyrim Scaling Stopper and Immersive Patrols. Then again, the Scaling Stopper is impossible to survive without a Multiple Followers mod to cover your back at which point Skyrim starts turning into a weird, first-person spin-off of Baldur's Gate's gameplay.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
SajuukKhar said:

Youmust be right, but you know it's weird because it must have occurred through a glitch? I remember NPCs commenting on both events and seeing the fallout of them (lol) but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I could begin the "I put a spell on you" quest even after the Monorail had been destroyed in my world and NCR soldiers commented on it. I actually heard the explosion when it occurred, which was what I found so impressive. Pretty disappointing that that was a bug because I thought it was a cool experience. Oh well!