Why so sephie

Adam Goetz

Oct 8, 2011
Now i preface this with i am not posting this to start a flame war. I would like your opinion on why sephiroth is well liked? (my opinion) I feel any character that does not fight at full strength and loses about five times now cannot be as powerful as they keep on saying he is.

Adam Goetz

Oct 8, 2011
My friends keep on telling me that the ff creators say he is never fighting at full strength and that is why he is the most bad ass "because if he was fighting at his full strength he would not be beat. He is just bored with the fights." - friend at ohayocon.

Adam Goetz

Oct 8, 2011
Your healer is taken out in the first third of the disk so that is null. And what is the point of being a god if the same type of ppl keep on taking you out.(which one happens to be a 10 year old kid(the type is spiky haired heroes))

The mom thing was the part left in the tube so it was more like he was taking her out of a tube.(If you are talking about another part IDK about please tell me which part.)

Adam Goetz

Oct 8, 2011
My problem is not the him being defeated many times. It was with the fact that he is not even trying "Acording to FF dev team."(that is in quotes because ppl tell me that but i have yet to find the article.)

I will admit that Aeris is a good plot character. But she is not a good story. She is a flat character like everyone who has no development past the hi I am stage of the game. her only reason for being is to die, and she is never that much help to the party. (mainly because you can make anyone your healer.)

The sad part is seven could have been the greatest RPG of all time if the characters weren't so bland.
(I am not trolling I am just putting out my opinion and thank you for giving me yours.)

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
I remember thinking when you play the flashback right after you leave Midgar (spoilers, I guess? Y'know what... it's 15 years old. I think the statute of limitations has run out on FF7 spoilers) that he didn't really seem that strong. I mean sure he takes out a dragon in like two hits, but you go to Mount Nibel at like level 25... that's kiddie stuff. I used to think it was just some weird oversight on the part of the game designers or laziness.

But when I got older I realized that that was actually totally appropriate because at the time (in the flashback) he is still way stronger than everyone, but there's no way Cloud would want to challenge him to a fight (uh... five years? I think it was five) five years later unless he knew he was stronger than Sephiroth had been back then. His old buddy would only be more powerful than ever.

My favorite Harry Potter book is the Sixth one (stay with me, I've got a point), and one of the things I like about it is that Voldemort is not in it. I could go check to be sure, but I'm too lazy. I'm fairly certain though that while he does appear in Pensieve memories, he never shows up in the flesh for the whole book, but nonetheless his presence is felt by all and he has his fingers in everyone's pudding (so to speak). I like that... a villain that can survive on menace alone is a good one, I think.

Sephiroth is much the same. After the events on the Great Glacier at the beginning of Disc 2, you don't see Sephiroth again until the final fight (again: except for flashbacks of course), but there's still a good sense of urgency and everything bad that's happening is because of his tremendous power and anger.

As an example of how NOT to do this, take Ultimecia from FF8. Yeah, she doesn't ever show up in person until the end, but you never really get to see a display of her power, so the player has no real investment in the threat she poses. You just have to take the characters' words for it that she is dangerous. We get to see Sephiroth kill a dragon, impale the Midgard Serpent, murder the whole crew of a ship, and pull a meteor out of the goddamned sky all while staying at least one step ahead of a team of (mostly) trained professionals. The stakes are laid out, and the challenge is laid out.

So that's why I like him, anyway.

Adam Goetz

Oct 8, 2011
I would like to thank the poster of this mainly the last two for their in depth analyses of the game overall. The main reason for this post, I have hidden until now, is how people perceive a villain in a video game. I am currently in school for game design, this is not for a paper this is for me. I am happy for the non-fan-boy flames that I was expecting.

With the last two I got perceived menace and the contrast that they can bring to the heroes. I personally did not like him. I viewed him as weak, sick, and having extreme Hubris. To me he was more of an inconvenience rather than a driving force. I have to kill this messed up guy, can't I just lock him in the loony bin. Maybe it was the flashback with him in the library and the part where he actually goes off the deep end that made me think of this. Advent children and crisis core did not help my view any. But that actually helped me get through the game. I have to stop the messed up guy because I am the only one who can. If I didn't see him in that light I may not have finished the game. (I was never attached to cloud, the game never gave me a reason to care about him.)

I look at the villains that I do enjoy Sin, Glados, Andrew Ryan, and Dromin to name a few, that have that presence in a game that draws you two them. Why is this god like entity destroying and roaming Spira; why did I make this devil's pact; why must I continue on to the next room? I feel they not only leave a presence but also a curiosity to the player. I know Sephiroth didn't do it for me but he did it for a lot of people.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I want to say that most people enjoy Sephiroth for his compelling character arc, but I honestly don't think that's the case. Certainly, there are people who feel that way (I count myself among those people), but I feel like the majority of Sephiroth's fanbase is drawn to him because he fits the "silver-haired bishounen" trope to a T. Even the nickname "Sephie" is indicative of how these people perceive him.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
He's an excellent example of an anti-Ubermensch as presented in videogame form.

As flawed as his ideology is, there is no denying the sheer amount of strength of character Sephiroth showed to get where he was. He went from being a soldier taking orders from a corporate oligarchy, to becoming a god-like figure manipulating world events and trying to attain immortality. He has the strength and prowess to be an Ubermensch, but is simply too sociopathic/batshit insane to rise to the challenge.

Cloud, in contrast, is the perfect example of an Ubermensch in gaming form: he is an outsider, one not constrained by the typical laws and morals of society. He does, after all, spend most of the game using his BFS to kill monsters and enemies. He is a hugely talented warrior, and as the game progressed can gain some truly frightening abilities.

However, despite his fighting prowess, Cloud spends the first chunk the game not really knowing what he is fighting for. He is fighting Sephiroth because others tell him that it is the right thing to do. It is only when Tifa rescues him that he is able to work out his own morality: he is going to fight Sephiroth because he believes that it is the right thing to do. This is hugely important: Cloud doesn't fight Sephiroth because it's what the law says he should do, or because his religions says he should. He fights Sephiroth because he decides that helping others and ridding the world of such a great menace is the right thing to do.

Sephiroth, therefore, stands as a contrast to Cloud. Cloud is the character who has both incredible physical prowess as well as the ability to live by his own moral code to the benefit of himself and others. Sephiroth, on the other hand, is a flawed Ubermench: he has nigh-unlimited physical strength and power, but lacks the emotional and mental maturity to be able to transcend his limitations and become the true Ubermensch. Where Cloud can see how his strength and prowess can be used to better shape the world, Sephiroth seeks only to destroy it and force it into his submission. Sephiroth is the typical Nietzxhe wannabe, whereas Cloud stands as a true example of what Nietzche was arguing about in the first place.

And that is why Sephiroth is a great villain.
Good point, well said. Also, the casual killer thing has always appealed to people in a bad-guy.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i have no idea, he's a poser far as I'm concerned, anything he's done some one else did, better, and to greater effect, and that's with out even leaving the FF games.

Killing player characters:
Exdeath, FF5: killed Gualf in a heroic last stand, where not even the most powerful of spells or attacks could harm him

Golbez, FF4: killed Tella indirectly, Tella used Meteo, which in Tella's old age he could not handle

FF2: LOTS of player characters die in this i'm told, never could get into the game but, there's a whole bonus section of the GBA release where you play as every one that died in the after life

Honorable mention, Lavos: he killed THE main character, Chrono, leaving you to finish the game with out one of the main party, unless you finished the side quest to bring him back, but that's be side the point.

also, note that all these characters are actually worth a damn in battle, and in most cases, also better over all characters

Killing Worlds:
Kefka, FF6: half way through, he destroys his world, and leaves it in such a state of ruin it's literally deing around him, not that he cares, its what he wanted.

Kuja, FF9: he dose it in a cut-scene, and its not the same world your on, but he dose, so it counts

Exdeath, FF5: technically, he actually remakes a world from two halves that where split, but it could also be argued, he destroyed those worlds to remake the old world as well.

Motivation:
Golbez, FF4: he's being controlled by a monster/demon/alien ... thing, called Zeromus, for his own resurrection/release but he was also jealous of Cecile (as stated in the DS remake)

Kefka, FF6: driven insane by the experiments done on him, i think .... i always chalked it up to him being FF's version of The Joker really ....

Exdeath, FF5: he wants the power of the void, for destroying everything? sorry, its been awhile since i played FF5, which is why Kuja isn't getting a spot here since i don't remember what his/her/it's deal was at all

compared to ....
Sepharoth.
player characters killed: one, and she wasn't really that good for anything anyway, even if you factor in Crisis Core it still only one player character
Worlds destoryed: LOL, moving on....
Motivation: but hurt about being 'a clone', except he's NOT a clone, he's genetically engineered, he has a mom, that carried him in her womb, a dad that knocked her up (FOR SCIENCE!!!) so his whole argument kinda falls apart. (not to mention FF7s whole idea of 'cloning' is fucked up anyway).

he dose how ever do one thing other FF villains haven't done well, stand around looking badass, cause... ya know, he's got nothing else going for him

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Kitsuna10060 said:
i have no idea, he's a poser far as I'm concerned, anything he's done some one else did, better, and to greater effect, and that's with out even leaving the FF games.

Killing player characters:
Exdeath, FF5: killed Gualf in a heroic last stand, where not even the most powerful of spells or attacks could harm him

Golbez, FF4: killed Tella indirectly, Tella used Meteo, which in Tella's old age he could not handle

FF2: LOTS of player characters die in this i'm told, never could get into the game but, there's a whole bonus section of the GBA release where you play as every one that died in the after life

Honorable mention, Lavos: he killed THE main character, Chrono, leaving you to finish the game with out one of the main party, unless you finished the side quest to bring him back, but that's be side the point.

also, note that all these characters are actually worth a damn in battle, and in most cases, also better over all characters

Killing Worlds:
Kefka, FF6: half way through, he destroys his world, and leaves it in such a state of ruin it's literally deing around him, not that he cares, its what he wanted.

Kuja, FF9: he dose it in a cut-scene, and its not the same world your on, but he dose, so it counts

Exdeath, FF5: technically, he actually remakes a world from two halves that where split, but it could also be argued, he destroyed those worlds to remake the old world as well.

Motivation:
Golbez, FF4: he's being controlled by a monster/demon/alien ... thing, called Zeromus, for his own resurrection/release but he was also jealous of Cecile (as stated in the DS remake)

Kefka, FF6: driven insane by the experiments done on him, i think .... i always chalked it up to him being FF's version of The Joker really ....

Exdeath, FF5: he wants the power of the void, for destroying everything? sorry, its been awhile since i played FF5, which is why Kuja isn't getting a spot here since i don't remember what his/her/it's deal was at all

compared to ....
Sepharoth.
player characters killed: one, and she wasn't really that good for anything anyway, even if you factor in Crisis Core it still only one player character
Worlds destoryed: LOL, moving on....
Motivation: but hurt about being 'a clone', except he's NOT a clone, he's genetically engineered, he has a mom, that carried him in her womb, a dad that knocked her up (FOR SCIENCE!!!) so his whole argument kinda falls apart. (not to mention FF7s whole idea of 'cloning' is fucked up anyway).

he dose how ever do one thing other FF villains haven't done well, stand around looking badass, cause... ya know, he's got nothing else going for him
OH!! and one more thing :D

DANCING MAD IS BETTER THEN ONE WINGED ANGEL

Jan 27, 2011
Because he can kick the ass of one of the most overpowered characters in gaming history (Sora, of Kingdom Hearts), in the space of about 3 seconds, if you're not amazing at the game.

;_; I never managed to beat him.

....Ok, yeah, this has nothing to do with FF7, I realize. Sorry. >_>

Killertje

Dec 12, 2010
To everyone who claims that Aeris is useless: She saved the world from meteor, singlehandedly, by casting holy right before she died. Also you can make her kick almost as much ass as Cloud if you equip her with asskick materia. Her limit breaks are the only thing that make her a healer/buffbot unless you equip her to be one.

I still think materia is the best levelling system in all FF's. Cover and 10 Counter materia maxed FTW.

Darkwhite

Nov 15, 2010
Killertje said:
To everyone who claims that Aeris is useless: She saved the world from meteor, singlehandedly, by casting holy right before she died. Also you can make her kick almost as much ass as Cloud if you equip her with asskick materia. Her limit breaks are the only thing that make her a healer/buffbot unless you equip her to be one.

I still think materia is the best levelling system in all FF's. Cover and 10 Counter materia maxed FTW.
You're forgetting 4x cut and flash =p