Why the Marvel Movies Should Ditch Peter Parker

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
5,449
0
0
Why the Marvel Movies Should Ditch Peter Parker

In the less than 15 years we've had two cinema versions of Peter Parker. Why not let someone else take the webs for a swing?

Read Full Article
 

Ukomba

New member
Oct 14, 2010
1,528
0
0
I agree they should ditch Peter, but I'd personally like to see May Parker as spider-girl take the reigns with a mid 40's Peter existing but mostly off camera and retired.

(They could even cast Maguire or Garfield for the cameo. ;) )
 

Hdawger

New member
Jun 8, 2010
75
0
0
Yeah... no. How about instead we have Spider Girl and stop pretending that race is the most important factor in choosing a superhero. The political correctness in this article is off the charts.
 

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
6,651
0
0
It's the Civil War story. It's going to be Peter Parker. If Marvel wanted another character to play Spidey they would have just changed the name of the character and his alter ego. They wanted Peter Parker badly. They obviously had a plan for him for quite some time considering how long ago the rumors started circulating.
 

micuu

New member
Mar 28, 2014
18
0
0
Miles Morales makes a ton of sense. Helps put some distance between the MCU and the other movies, and you have some good points about origin. And it's not like the MCU hasn't already heavily mined the Ultimate universe of ideas anyway.
 

ecoho

New member
Jun 16, 2010
2,093
0
0
if don't right it would be fantastic but I have a feeling well get peter parker.

now what they could do is fake peter's death in civil war (showing he lived in the post credits) and have miles be the main star of the actual spiderman movie, with him trying to find the original spiderman to teach him how to do the job.
 

The Bucket

New member
May 4, 2010
531
0
0
I have nothing in particular against Miles, but he never grabbed me as a particularly interesting character, part of the problem was that his Ultimate Spiderman never got the time to breathe that the original run did, with the book continually getting pulled into crossovers (at least for as long as I read it). Plus a fairly significant part of his character and drama was the pressure and problems of trying to succeed such a specific legacy, I dont think it'd have such a strong effect if he creates the identity himself.

I dont think bringing him straight to the forefront would be good for him, Spiderman is Peter Parker for the mainstream, and people would be turned off quite heavily if he was replaced without explanation. It could be cool if they run with Peter for a while, then have Miles take over when whatever actor they get wants to move on.
 

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
3,028
0
0
You had me until you started mentioning all the other black characters that have brought into the movies. I agree that Falcon was a good character to bring into Winter soldier. I agree that Jackson did a great job as Fury. I'm in 'wait and see' mode for Black Panther, but I can see that turning out well, given Marvel Studios' recent history. That has fuck all to do with deciding what Spider-Man to bring into the movies.

If Marvel or Sony decide to bring in Morales because he's a good character with a compelling story, great. If they bring him in because they think that Parker is a bit played out, I'll disagree, but fine. If they bring him in because 'we need more black superheros,' then I would say that their priorities are backwards. Diversity is a fine thing, and shouldn't be ignored, but it shouldn't be the reason that decisions like this get made.
 

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
3,028
0
0
The Bucket said:
I dont think bringing him straight to the forefront would be good for him, Spiderman is Peter Parker for the mainstream, and people would be turned off quite heavily if he was replaced without explanation. It could be cool if they run with Peter for a while, then have Miles take over when whatever actor they get wants to move on.
That's actually a good point, and if Marvel Studios had 100% control over Spiderman(and I hope they do by the time whoever the next actor they get reaches the end of their contract), I think that would probably be the best possible scenario. Give Marvel some time to do a good Peter Parker(I disagree that it's been done particularly well yet), and then let Morales step in and feel the pressure of trying to live up to a legend.
 

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
5,141
0
0
I don't have a problem with someone else for a Spider hero-themed movie, though I'll wait and see if they can pull it off. (I wouldn't mind seeing a Spider-Girl movie, though...)
 

Lymond

Full Moon Trickster
Sep 24, 2010
3
0
0
"...adding a multi-racial Spider-Man would be a much bigger move to promote MCU diversity than anything else that's been announced so far."

I'm left asking, "so what?"

This kind of article suffers from a particularly annoying brand of US-centric social activism. Spider-Man does not belong to the United States alone: audiences in South America, Europe and elsewhere have been watching the cartoons, movies and comics for decades. The concept of black/latino minorities is foreign to a large proportion of the worldwide audience that is going to watch this film, myself among them. Spider-Man should not be a vehicle to promote your particular brand of nationalistic diversity agenda. Just give us what makes for the most compelling character story. That's something that everyone can appreciate.
 

CaptainMarvelous

New member
May 9, 2012
869
0
0
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
I just don't like the idea of Miles basically cannibalizing Peter because he has no interesting stories of his own or any sort of importance other than being Black Spiderman. Now as an ancillary character? Sure, he works fine I suppose. However, he lacks any meaningful history or character to inherit such a lofty and iconic role as Spiderman. Also, fucking called it.
Dude, did you need read the thing where his uncle was the Prowler and tried to use him as a weapon against Scorpion? Or that his dad used to be an informant for SHIELD? Or the venom one where his mother got killed? Or pretty much any of his storylines?
Cos I mean, if you haven't read them that's fine but it seems like an odd thing to say, y'know? Plus his invisibility and having a venom strike are pretty cool visual abilities that the movies could use.
And it would mean we don't need to see the exact same movie for the third time where Peter Parker gets powers, acts like a jerk, his uncle dies and then fights one of his classic villains crudely slammed in to the final act.
 

Right Hook

New member
May 29, 2011
947
0
0
Adam Jensen said:
If Marvel wanted another character to play Spidey they would have just changed the name of the character and his alter ego.
Uhh...no they wouldn't do that, it wouldn't even work, people are way too picky. Besides owning Spider-Man equates to owning all the spider related characters as well so it would be a huge legal mess to even try something like that.


OP: Definitely expecting the old Parker luck to force us into the same character we've been getting all along. Garfield really soured me on Peter Parker and I'd love a new direction but as long as they don't make 'Twilight but with Webbing' again, it can't be too bad.
 

Ukomba

New member
Oct 14, 2010
1,528
0
0
Right Hook said:
Adam Jensen said:
If Marvel wanted another character to play Spidey they would have just changed the name of the character and his alter ego.
Uhh...no they wouldn't do that, it wouldn't even work, people are way too picky. Besides owning Spider-Man equates to owning all the spider related characters as well so it would be a huge legal mess to even try something like that.


OP: Definitely expecting the old Parker luck to force us into the same character we've been getting all along. Garfield really soured me on Peter Parker and I'd love a new direction but as long as they don't make 'Twilight but with Webbing' again, it can't be too bad.
Aren't they essentially doing exactly that with the Scarlet Witch and Quick Silver?
 

Toilet

New member
Feb 22, 2012
401
0
0
Somebody call the diversity police! There isn't enough black and/or women people in the Marvel movies! Somebody might be alienated and might come out of the theatre butthurt.
 

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
574
0
0
The thing about Miles Morales is that he is a good character, but his character is also directly informed from a Spider-man already having existed.

In fact his whole initial arch is basically him trying to honor Spider-man while not insulting his legacy. I think in that way it makes Miles simultaneously an interesting character but not a very individual character till later in his story.

Essentially his origin story would need to somewhat be based on already occurring events. Not that you couldn't change that but why would you? Miles shouldn't like no other superhero character, be treated with some sort of tokenism. Let it happen naturally in a well written way.

I might be bias since I'm a big Parker fan, and I never really liked the Ultimate timeline, Spider-man or no, but I do like Miles as a character from what I read of him. And I think they would be silly not to include him in the MCU later down the line.
 

Right Hook

New member
May 29, 2011
947
0
0
Ukomba said:
Right Hook said:
Adam Jensen said:
If Marvel wanted another character to play Spidey they would have just changed the name of the character and his alter ego.
Uhh...no they wouldn't do that, it wouldn't even work, people are way too picky. Besides owning Spider-Man equates to owning all the spider related characters as well so it would be a huge legal mess to even try something like that.


OP: Definitely expecting the old Parker luck to force us into the same character we've been getting all along. Garfield really soured me on Peter Parker and I'd love a new direction but as long as they don't make 'Twilight but with Webbing' again, it can't be too bad.
Aren't they essentially doing exactly that with the Scarlet Witch and Quick Silver?
Not really, I suppose you could maybe see it from that perspective but Marvel owns those two characters, that's why they can use them. All they are doing is slightly changing how they got their powers, that's it. Also most film-goers don't give two shits about Scarlet and Quick but we're talking about the goddamn Spider-Man here.
 

SonOfVoorhees

New member
Aug 3, 2011
3,509
0
0
How bout we have some decent spiderman scripts for movies before we all jump on the "has to be black" PC bandwagon. If you can make a Miles Spiderman then fine. But dont just make it just because you have to. Id like a spider woman movie also but again not because its PC influences and GG, but because you have a great script, a story you want to tell and actual ambition and excite to tell that story right.