Why the Skyrim boycott is a waste of time and missing enjoyment.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Treblaine said:
#1 They DO NOT HAVE TO PROTECT SHIT! Nothing that Mojang did undermined Zenimax's copyright. The only abuse here is coming from Zenimax's end by demanding he change the name of his game when he depends so much on word of mouth he can't just abandon the buzz for scrolls.
#2 Even if Zenimax were paranoid they aren't even doing that. Mojang offered to drop the trademark and they didn't care. They want "damages" money, or they want him to NEVER release a game with the word "scrolls" in the title.
You know what? You win. Enjoy your shouting. This is exhausting.
It's pretty underhanded of you to endlessly circulate the same misinformation and when if repeatedly call you out on it you act like I somehow wore down your sound reasoning?

You know the least you could have done, is just ONCE actually listen to and consider my argument. I wonder in this whole thing have you ever actually read what I have typed, or was every point where I blew your argument out of the water did you immediately ignore it and move onto the next convoluted reasoning.

I suppose you will have your way in the end, you won't be honourable and concede that I may have had a point, you will act like I have "won" by shouting.

I resort to block capitals because you seem incapable of actually taking in the pivotal points. You go endlessly in circles over and over you go back to how "Zenimax must do this to protect their copyright"

WHEN OVER AND OVER AGAIN I HAVE SHOWN HOW THEY ARE NOT DOING THAT AND NEVER NEEDED TO DO THAT!

So go off in a huff, it is exhausting for me too to deal with your circular logic. I don't know what your angle is, but I am NOT going to let the idea spread that Notch somehow deserves what he is having done to his company.

rdm

Oct 6, 2011
Treblaine said:
Number 2 is bullshit right off the bat because Mojang offered to drop the trademark and Zenimax didn't want that. They want a damages settlement or Mojang to COMPLETLEY REMOVE ALL USE OF THE WORD.
Mojan offered to drop the trademark and replace it with a nearly identical trademark.

Bethesda does not like the nearly identical trademark for pretty much the same reason that they did not like the original trademark.

(Among other things they have already sold products which would "infringe" on both trademarks even if they are not identical to the first product Mojang is planning on selling using the Scrolls trademark).

So, yes, this proves your point: OMG! THEY ARE EVIL!!!

Maybe we should turn this discussion back to how fonts on specific packages should be the determining factor for deciding how the courts should resolve this issue?

P.S. @The Irate Pirate: the
button is your friend.

The Irate Pirate

Sep 26, 2010
Fuck this shit what a waste of time posting in this thread. How about before you start talking shit about something you know nothing about (Trademark Law) you go research it or at least read an opinion from a reputable source.

YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME.

Bethesda isn't an evil big company looking to fuck the little guy. If you want to know why read an earlier post of mine, it's a matter of law and how it works.

TL:DR? Legit reason to start lawsuit (Notch's Original Trademark APP) -> Withdrawn reason to initiate lawsuit -> Lawsuit continues for legitimate legal precedent reasons

However feel free to continue to waste your time with your stupid uninformed arguments about people potentially being confused IDC fuck the Internet and forums Im gonna go argue with people in RL.

GOODBYE ESCAPIST!

P.S. AND LOL POST ABOVE ME, MAN YOU ARE JUST PLAIN WRONG IN SO MANY WAYS.

P.P.S In the time it took me to write this response the guy above me changed

P.P.P.S That cant be it I just looked at the post above me and it was AGES AGO must've just been looking at a different page. BUT MAN THAT GUY WAS JUST WRONG.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
rdm said:
Treblaine said:
Number 2 is bullshit right off the bat because Mojang offered to drop the trademark and Zenimax didn't want that. They want a damages settlement or Mojang to COMPLETLEY REMOVE ALL USE OF THE WORD.
Mojan offered to drop the trademark and replace it with a nearly identical trademark.

Bethesda does not like the nearly identical trademark for pretty much the same reason that they did not like the original trademark.

(Among other things they have already sold products which would "infringe" on both trademarks even if they are not identical to the first product Mojang is planning on selling using the Scrolls trademark).

So, yes, this proves your point: OMG! THEY ARE EVIL!!!

Maybe we should turn this discussion back to how fonts on specific packages should be the determining factor for deciding how the courts should resolve this issue?
No. They offered a trademark that was So different that there was zero chance of Ambiguity.

It was adding more different words to the title. You are agreeing with Zenimax's ridiculous claim that Mojang is not allowed to use the word "Scrolls" AT ALL! That is blatantly unfair and abusive of the copyright system.

Fonts are important for the matter of intent of perception.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Treblaine said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Treblaine said:
It's not your comparison I hold to a fault... and my comparison was a lazy off the head way to catch your attention. My point was the line where I said:

"Also, don't claim that this isn't relevant, because you know... I said so."

Which is more clearly a jibe at your:

"Do. Not. Lie.

I can tell if you are lying when you say ridiculous and illogical things."

Because of all things... that is just lazy argumentation. It boils down to the playground logic of "because I said so". As I said to sewer rat, I read it as:

"You're objectively wrong based on my own subjective reasoning."

You could have flawless logic, but I ain't biting if your going to play that way. I doubt any opposition with 2 brain cells to rub together would either.

If you want to prove that Bethesda/Zenimax/The Law is in the wrong... show me something that I can read through, and formulate my own opinion. I might not agree with you, but I might respect your opinion because it was pulled out of somewhere, rather then nowhere.

I highly doubt you have the experience or knowledge to follow through with this argument without backing it up with sources. It's all knee jerk responses based on meagre updates of the whole event, usually weighted in notches favour, since he was for the longest while, the only one talking.

I should also point out, that despite all you say for Notch trying to play it nice and make peace with Bethesda... he's done a heck of a lot of PR damage from day 1... and I would put my money on it that it was deliberate.

If you have any comprehensive article that chronicles this whole ordeal*snort*, I will read it from begining to end.

I don't hate notch, but I'm not going to jump on the hate wagon towards bethesda, when from every angle I've looked at it, Notch has let his naivety of business and law bleed through every stage.
Well I have had to deal with people petty enough to simply lie by saying something like that two things completely different are actually the same. I wanted to pre-empt such ridiculous use of anti-logic to dance around the point. I know every round of reply and reply can obfuscate the central UNDENIABLE point that so many refuse to accept that from the outset and from all angles Zenimax's lawsuit is frivolous. I will NOT be lead off on a tangent.

Those two titles are SO DIFFERENT, I cannot see a logical or sensible circumstance in which they could be conflated. It was somewhat of a rhetorical question I suppose, I was trying to emphasise the (supposedly obvious) point that there are no major similarities that warrant a lawsuit. That the very basis of the lawsuit that there could be confusion is unfounded.

Do I really need any Sources on this one?

You have two sources right there, the respective titles of each game that Zenimax lawyers are taking to court as somehow so easy to confuse. What more could possibly be needed? Do you REALLY need a source to prove that the games "Dead Island" and "Dead Rising" actually exist? Really? We all know those games exist.

Notch has not done any PR damage BY TELLING THE BARE TRUTH. Zenimax did that to THEMSELVES. What do you want him to do, withhold information or actively LIE for zenimax so that their unreasonable actions are not exposed to scrutiny? You're shooting the messenger here, Zenimax has fucked up and you are scorning Notch for daring to reveal what they are trying to do!?!?

"If you have any comprehensive article that chronicles this whole ordeal*snort*, I will read it from begining to end. "

What the hell am I supposed to make of that.

I have written and article for you and I don't see what more you could possibly need. The CENTRAL ISSUE is confusion of games, those two titles side by side should say EVERYTHING! You may not have a "fault" with my comparison, but you have completely ignored with with so little consideration.

Is my explanation not good enough for you? Can the argument not stand on its own merits? Will you only accept it if you hear it come from the column of N'gai Croal?
I said I might not accept it even with support. The difference it makes is between me (and others) thinking you have an honest to goodness reason to argue... and are not just raging because your fav little indie dev can't cope in business, so you turn on the big bad corporation because they make you sad.

Right, I'm going to have to look at this piece by piece, just so we can at least a modicum of understanding between us:

Well I have had to deal with people petty enough to simply lie by saying something like that two things completely different are actually the same. I wanted to pre-empt such ridiculous use of anti-logic to dance around the point. I know every round of reply and reply can obfuscate the central UNDENIABLE point that so many refuse to accept that from the outset and from all angles Zenimax's lawsuit is frivolous. I will NOT be lead off on a tangent.
First of all, I deny that it's frivolous (therefore making it deniable, which shoots your argument dead)... why? Because business is serious. There is no petty in business, especially when we're talking millions to billions in respective currencies. Reasonable concern is enough to bring something to court, especially if your concern is your own valuable property being at stake. I'll get to how that relates to this case shortly.

Those two titles are SO DIFFERENT, I cannot see a logical or sensible circumstance in which they could be conflated. It was somewhat of a rhetorical question I suppose, I was trying to emphasise the (supposedly obvious) point that there are no major similarities that warrant a lawsuit. That the very basis of the lawsuit that there could be confusion is unfounded.
We sort of get to my point against yours here. "I cannot see", "It was somewhat... I suppose" "I was trying"... rounded off with something you then state like a fact: "That the very basis of this lawsuit that there could be confusion is unfounded". Right there you lost all form of persuasive weight with me. You seem to hold your own deductive analyses as immaculate and infallible therefore your point must be fact. It's not... Personal perspective (I cannot see) is not a fact, Personal reflection (I suppose) is not a fact and internal rationalisation (I was trying) is not fact. How on earth does that lead to a factual statement? Answer it doesn't... it's a baseless as your other points. It has no weight in this debate.

Do I really need any sources?
Yes. Otherwise your just ranting and counting your own potentially narrow analyses as a fact, which is insulting to anyone else with an opinion. In a debate, never presume something is common knowledge or obvious. You can't be taken seriously from an opposition that way, all you gain is nods and alleluias from like minds... which yields nothing short of boosting your own ego if you get a positive response, but bumming you if someone retorts.

You have two sources right there, the respective titles of each game that Zenimax lawyers are taking to court as somehow so easy to confuse. What more could possibly be needed? Do you REALLY need a source to prove that the games "Dead Island" and "Dead Rising" actually exist? Really? We all know those games exist.

Notch has not done any PR damage BY TELLING THE BARE TRUTH. Zenimax did that to THEMSELVES. What do you want him to do, withhold information or actively LIE for zenimax so that their unreasonable actions are not exposed to scrutiny? You're shooting the messenger here, Zenimax has fucked up and you are scorning Notch for daring to reveal what they are trying to do!?!?
Your sources, which I grant you it is a source, only shows a lack of understanding of the laws that govern trademarks... it doesn't disprove anything, though it does prove how ludicrous the laws can be if this was the only reason the case is going forward (which can happen in the knee jerk system currently in place). The law is still law, ignorance/obliviousness not withstanding as an excuse.

Truth? Truth is based on what? Your opinion? Notch told us 2 bits of truth, 1: Bethesda sent him a cease and desist for trademark infringement, which he didn't take seriously... 2. bethesda challenged him to a court hearing, which he jested that they should be playing Quake 3 Arena instead. Not exactly rising to the challenge... but you know, playing to the crowd (in the show in which he directed and starred himself). All the while he kept preaching how this isn't going to fly, it's petty and it's ludicrous (I see where your coming from here) in a subversive tone that I imagined a violin been played in melancholic manner. Well it did fly, and is still in transit. A month or 2 later, he tells us, after the fact, that he tried to appease bethesda behind the scenes, but they refused... and that's it, only his side of things. What I read from that, was that he was genuinely afraid of shit going down, and tried to remedy it... but failed, so he played his sympathy card again to start another bout of PR damage. So far that's all I see defending him, his word and the words of others that echo his own.

"If you have any comprehensive article that chronicles this whole ordeal*snort*, I will read it from begining to end. "

What the hell am I supposed to make of that.
2 things. That I don't consider this case a big deal and that I would like to see the source of your arguments, the thing that convinces you that Notch is right and Zenimax is wrong.

I have written and article for you and I don't see what more you could possibly need. The CENTRAL ISSUE is confusion of games, those two titles side by side should say EVERYTHING! You may not have a "fault" with my comparison, but you have completely ignored with with so little consideration.

Is my explanation not good enough for you? Can the argument not stand on its own merits? Will you only accept it if you hear it come from the column of N'gai Croal?
Your explanation is fine, but it's entirely subjective, following your own reasoning and echoing all that I have heard already from other people who are only echoing opinions. Show me where this line of though stems... it is NOT enough to just state your point and say that is how it is.

You don't have merits. An unsupported argument is actually just a rant, based on conjecture and self-conviction.

As has been mentioned above, I want to see what makes you defend notches corner... I'm not trying to tell you your wrong, but I'm definitely in the persuasion that thinks Zenimax is right to go ahead with this, regardless of the outcome, and expecting me to take your opinion as gold is foolish. Your own opinion is not an argument all on it's lonesome. Tell me what it is that is influencing your take on events, show me the opinion that resonates with your own. That's all I ask for, that's all I need to see that your not just raging.

From what I gather at this point in time, is that you take Notches word as gospel, simply because he spoke first. You say Zeni is in the wrong, but offer nothing other then your own point of view, which is as far removed from fact as it can get. Same principles apply to anyone who tries to make a point in favour for, or against, a topic.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
Right, I'm going to have to look at this piece by piece, just so we can at least a modicum of understanding between us...
Believe me when I say you're wasting your time. He'll just badger you, scream, make ad hominem attacks, completely fail to understand anything you're saying, bark about conspiracy theories, and just basically act like a complete yahoo until you run out of energy and patience. This is a guy who said he "wasn't going to fall into my trap" when I suggested he educate himself on the subject he was yelling about. How do you reason with someone like that? I humbly submit that you cannot.

However, if ignorance is truly bliss, he may very well be the happiest guy on the face of the earth. So he's got us all licked there. Lord knows wasting a good portion of yesterday fruitlessly trying to have a coherent discussion with him did nothing for my own happiness.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Right, I'm going to have to look at this piece by piece, just so we can at least a modicum of understanding between us...
Believe me when I say you're wasting your time. He'll just badger you, scream, make ad hominem attacks, completely fail to understand anything you're saying, bark about conspiracy theories, and just basically act like a complete yahoo until you run out of energy and patience. This is a guy who said he "wasn't going to fall into my trap" when I suggested he educate himself on the subject he was yelling about. How do you reason with someone like that? I humbly submit that you cannot.

However, if ignorance is truly bliss, he may very well be the happiest guy on the face of the earth. So he's got us all licked there. Lord knows wasting a good portion of yesterday fruitlessly trying to have a coherent discussion with him did nothing for my own happiness.
Ironically he doesn't seem very happy.

I'm debating this just to past the time, I'm indifferent to the actual case, it IS petty in my opinion, but necessary... and boring. Though I like a good verbal bout now and again, so just satiating an appetite.

Though it's no fine dining, nothing wrong with some sloppy greasy junk food every so often... what are we talking about again?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Ragsnstitches said:

What is this nonsense Extremely misleading post you have written?

-I said you use the logic of a conspiracy theorist by your "prove a negative" demand yet I'm somehow the nutjob for calling you out on it??!!
-I understand fully what you are doing: you are repeatedly ignoring precedents and and any kind of relevant sense to the central issue
-I did not refuse to educate myself. I said I would refuse to go on a wild goose chase for irrelevant legal documents
-It is simply NOT TRUE that I used any ad hominem attack. Give some real examples.

It is utter delusion contradiction on your part for accusing me of ignorance when you have done nothing but use the same circular logic of:

"Scroll is like Elder Scrolls, but I'll ignore Dead-Island/Dead-Rising and all the myriad of other examples of similar trademarks being non-infringing"

You gave up trying to peddle argue the same hard-headed ignorance misinformed stance that "Scrolls" is some kind of unprecedented violation of trademark. It is NOT unpresedented. I have told you this over and over. But you are wilfully ignorant refusing to recognise that fact on this issue.

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
They're boycotting Skyrim? Can't be trying that hard to get the word out, I never heard about it. Besides, the last high profile boycott that I can think of (L4D2) ended up marketing the game pretty effectively. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Nothing short of Bethesda supporting the Nazi party openly is going to stop me from getting Skyrim.

That said, all I hear from the OP is: "I'm a fanboy! Bethesda can do what it wants! You guys suck!"

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
I said I might not accept it even with support. The difference it makes is between me (and others) thinking you have an honest to goodness reason to argue... and are not just raging because your fav little indie dev can't cope in business, so you turn on the big bad corporation because they make you sad.
Now this is an ad hominem attack and a misinformed assumption.

I'll be frank with you my beef here is the principal, I argued in the same way over the "Edge Trademark" lawsuits. I have sympathy for Mojang simply because I know it is legally outmatched. Not because he made quite a good game that I played all of 4 hours of and got bored of to only ever play again sporadically. My most played game right now is Doom... a Zenimax property.

First of all, I deny that it's frivolous (therefore making it deniable, which shoots your argument dead)... why? Because business is serious. There is no petty in business, especially when we're talking millions to billions in respective currencies. Reasonable concern is enough to bring something to court, especially if your concern is your own valuable property being at stake. I'll get to how that relates to this case shortly.
That logic does not follow, I am afraid.

Just because a company is serious business does not mean their argument is automatically serious, anyone can make a frivolous claim. Regardless of standing. It is to their benefit to make a frivolous claim against a small upstart that could one day be a competitor, or it could be dangerous paranoia.

Zenimax has no legitimate reason to either suspect their trademark would be void, or that there is any significant chance of brand confusion. Any gamer would know this immediately based on the precedents already so firmly established in this industry, from all the games of similar genre that use the identical words.

We sort of get to my point against yours here. "I cannot see", "It was somewhat... I suppose" "I was trying"... rounded off with something you then state like a fact: "That the very basis of this lawsuit that there could be confusion is unfounded". Right there you lost all form of persuasive weight with me. You seem to hold your own deductive analyses as immaculate and infallible therefore your point must be fact. It's not... Personal perspective (I cannot see) is not a fact, Personal reflection (I suppose) is not a fact and internal rationalisation (I was trying) is not fact. How on earth does that lead to a factual statement? Answer it doesn't... it's a baseless as your other points. It has no weight in this debate.
Well the entire substance of this issue is subjective, how the customer in their subjective analysis of games is likely to confuse "The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM" and "Scrolls: Something of Something".

You can't honestly say that any significant number of people would make such a subjective analysis and buy one when they really intended to buy the other.

It is certainly an objective fact that there are a whole FOUR words difference between the name of Zenimax's game and the name of Mojang's game.

In a debate, never presume something is common knowledge or obvious.
You mean I can't assume you know that games such as "Dead Island" or "Metal Gear Solid" exist?

Do you REALLY want me to link to their wikipedia page for each of those games? Or is wikipedia not a valid source, would I have to find a magazine clipping proving that each game actually exists?

The law is still law, ignorance/obliviousness not withstanding as an excuse.
The law is not the the last word on right and wrong.

You should NEVER refrain from speaking out against the law if it is unjust. I have shown how unjust it is as it is being used here to impede a developer when there is no chance of Mojang doing what people seem to think it could do.

And could you please stop calling me ignorant. I find that offensive and inflammatory. (yes, this is a sudden change of tone... people can do that, so can you)

Truth? Truth is based on what? Your opinion? Notch told us 2 bits of truth, 1: Bethesda sent him a cease and desist for trademark infringement, which he didn't take seriously... 2. bethesda challenged him to a court hearing, which he jested that they should be playing Quake 3 Arena instead. Not exactly rising to the challenge... but you know, playing to the crowd (in the show in which he directed and starred himself). All the while he kept preaching how this isn't going to fly, it's petty and it's ludicrous (I see where your coming from here) in a subversive tone that I imagined a violin been played in melancholic manner. Well it did fly, and is still in transit. A month or 2 later, he tells us, after the fact, that he tried to appease bethesda behind the scenes, but they refused... and that's it, only his side of things. What I read from that, was that he was genuinely afraid of shit going down, and tried to remedy it... but failed, so he played his sympathy card again to start another bout of PR damage. So far that's all I see defending him, his word and the words of others that echo his own.
I am afraid that it IS the logic of a conspiracy theorist to base your argument on presumptions that people of authority are tracelessly lying with no evidence of deceit and that exonerating truth is implausibly hidden by the very party who have every reason to reveal it. It is a fallacy as there is no way to argue against it yet you could apply it to anything.

"in a subversive tone that I imagined a violin been played in melancholic manner."

Are you taking this seriously? Do you REALLY think this furthers this conversation... or is this just an attempt to be inflammatory and offensive?

2 things. That I don't consider this case a big deal and that I would like to see the source of your arguments, the thing that convinces you that Notch is right and Zenimax is wrong.
How about all the test cases of trademark disputes over single-word similarities that are thrown out of court, like Edge Games (that I have already given) and the many precedents of games sharing single-word similarities.

it is NOT enough to just state your point and say that is how it is.
Well, I must get it from you because that is exactly what you do.

You don't have merits.
Not MY merits. The merits of the argument, imagine if anyone said the same thing as me.

As has been mentioned above, I want to see what makes you defend notches corner
I don't see how that is relevant. Whether I like, don't care or hate Notch I

Your own opinion is not an argument all on it's lonesome.
Err, you did read all the posts I gave where I listed examples of precedents? Right?

You say Zeni is in the wrong, but offer nothing other then your own point of view, which is as far removed from fact as it can get. Same principles apply to anyone who tries to make a point in favour for, or against, a topic.
Well who else's point of view can I possibly give? And it IS more than that and it IS based on facts. The many facts I have given such as the precedents of trademarked game titles that share identical words.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
OH LORDY LORD I JUST REALISED SOMETHING!!1! SONY SHOULD TOTALLY SUE EPIC GAMES!!

Why? Because Sony released a game called God Of War. And a couple of years later, Epic released a game called Gears Of War. And they both have 'War' in the title. In fact, worse than that. They're both three word titles that have 'of War' in the title, and start with a G! Epic are totally infringing on Sony's copyright! In fact, I've seen people post the acronym GoW, and other peolple get confused as to whether they mean Gears or God of War. Think how much that's damaging Sony! They should totally sue the asses off Epic especially considering Gears is a 360 exclusive!

/sarcasm

I hope that the above statement comes across as patently ridiculous. I hope this, because the issue between Notch and Bethesda is just as ridiculous, and I would hope that most sane people can see that. Bethesda have copyrighted the term 'The Elder Scrolls'. This should mean that no-one else can release a game under the title 'The Elder Scrolls'. Bethesda, however, have decided this means that no-one can release a game with the very word 'Scrolls' in the title, despite the fact that it's a perfectly common, useable English word.

Given the ridiculousness of Bethesda's behaviour, I have absolutely no problem with gamers boycotting Skyrim. Firstly, it shows that not all gamers are dribbling morons who will simply buy whatever they're told to buy. But secondly, and more importantly, it shows that we gamers are aware of and care about issues such as these in our industry.

By calling out those boycotting the game, you're essentially saying that we shouldn't care about what sort of behaviour publishers and developers engage in. We shouldn't care if they're abusing the law, overworking their staff, engaging in dodhy finances, or infringing on our consumer rights. We should just shut up and take what they give us. I'm sorry, but as soon as anyone tries to argue this, my response will always be:

Fuck you!

The right not to buy is the only right we have as consumers to show publishers that we won't take their shit. If you're too weak-willed to ever take a stand on an issue, then that's your own fucking problem, but to actually insult people for taking the moral high-ground simply speaks to how stupid we're becoming as a culture.
I don't think your example is anywhere near as ridiculous as the real one. I could imagine someone buying gears of war instead of god of war. Wouldn't exactly be the sharpest tool in the shed. and It'd probably because someone on the internet said to get GoW3 and when they clarified what it was the person forgot everything but the acronym but hey i wouldn't doubt a story saying it happened.

Scrolls for the Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim though.. No that is a much bigger leap

Edit: Also all you jackoffs acting like if you're against zenimax you're a notch fanboy are seriously at an intellectual level lower than that of my dog.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
Edit: Also all you jackoffs acting like if you're against zenimax you're a notch fanboy are seriously at an intellectual level lower than that of my dog.
What about all the "jackoffs" suggesting if you're not rabidly against Zenimax you're a conspiracy theorist and an anti-Notch fanatic actively trying to sabotage his company? Shouldn't they get a chiding too? Or are the lunatics who share your viewpoint somehow less distressing?

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
mike1921 said:
What about all the "jackoffs" suggesting if you're not rabidly against Zenimax you're a conspiracy theorist and an anti-Notch fanatic actively trying to sabotage his company? Shouldn't they get a chiding too? Or are the lunatics who share your viewpoint somehow less distressing?
Man It'd sure be nice if you could show me that happening because no one in the thread did say that nor did they suggest it

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
Man It'd sure be nice if you could show me that happening because no one in the thread did say that nor did they suggest it
Treblaine said:
You sound like a conspiracy theorist:

"maybe there is all the time loads of conflict over trademarks behind the scenes with money changing hands all the time it's just it's all super top secret ... somehow ... and we don't know. See now you have to prove something that didn't happen. I know full well proving something that didn't happen when it could have happened any time and any where is impossible... that is how conspiracy theorist protect their delusions"

Techland has OBVIOUSLY reserved the trademark, that is clear enough. The game is on sale under that name and it is trademarked. They get to have it, why can't Mojang with "Scrolls"? Don't dance around this saying "well maybe something happened in secret" YOU HAVE NO REASON TO THINK THAT! And most of all THERE HAS BEEN NO CONFUSION! No one has bought Dead Island thinking it had ANYTHING to do with Dead Rising, or that they were made by the same people, or it was a spin off.

You are squirming SO MUCH to fight this argument in a position where you can roll out a trap like catching me out as lying by trying to be specific on a point you can "disprove", do you take me for a compete muppet? I know the game you are playing, you are trying desperately to lure me away from the damning position that:

"Zenimax are being extremely petty and manipulative over a trivial point"

Do. Not. Lie.

I can tell if you are lying when you say ridiculous and illogical things.
Treblaine said:
I think your idea is utter crap, and that it should be shown for the crap that it is before it spreads, ideas are powerful things when packaged in the right way. Your idea that Notch is lying, deceiving and misleading by withholding supposed "mythical exonerating points" about Zenimax is an insulting idea as it is tempting for the intellectually weak, and those who are of the opinion of not liking notch/mojang/minecraft and slavish unconditional love for Elder-Scrolls/Bethesda/Zenimax.
In response to me saying he should actually understand the law he's criticizing and the lawsuit before exploding like a novelty cigar on the internet. Despite stating at numerous times I like Mojang and enjoy Minecraft and don't have an iron in the fire when it come to whether Zenimax or Mojang is in the wrong, he's called me a liar, a conspiracy theorist, accused me of trying to "lure him into a trap" by educating himself, accused me of trying to defame Mojang and Notch, called me numerous names, screamed in all caps, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Dude it's basically the entire last 2-3 pages of this thread. I say "Hey you should look into this before sounding off on it" and he screams about conspiracy theories and traps for 5 paragraphs.

You're right, though. Nothing of the sort going on here! The anti-Zenimax brigade is being totally reasonable and sane and polite.

rdm

Oct 6, 2011
Treblaine said:
No. They offered a trademark that was So different that there was zero chance of Ambiguity.

It was adding more different words to the title. You are agreeing with Zenimax's ridiculous claim that Mojang is not allowed to use the word "Scrolls" AT ALL! That is blatantly unfair and abusive of the copyright system.
If you really believe Mojang offered one specific non-conflicting trademark, I think you should tell me what it is.

Meanwhile, if you think this has anything to do with copyright law, I understand your confusion:

Copyright is about protecting creative works. Songs, books, and computer games all get copyright protection. We could talk about copyright a lot, but it would be meaningless, because this is not a copyright issue. Copyright is typically irrelevant for anything shorter than a sentence (and can often be irrelevant for things longer than a sentence).

Trademark is about protecting labels for products. They are not products themselves. They are words (or other symbols) that a manufacturer puts on their product to show that they stand behind the product and to show that their product is different from other people's products. The best trademarks are essentially adjectives (that you use in combination with some other words that also identify the product), because if the trademark was too generally useful then it ceases to be a product label and becomes a part of the language.

So, anyways, if this were a copyright issue, Bethesda and Mojang would both be laughed out of court.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
mike1921 said:
No one said you were a conspiracy theorist simply because you sided with Zenimax. You were called out for using THE REASONING OF a conspiracy theorist by demanding that I prove a negative (that there has NEVER been any trademark disputes between Dead Rising and Dead Island).

Rags has made clear to accused me of being a mere notch-fanboy simply because I am defending-mojang/opposing-zenimax.

I don't remember anyone accusing anyone of being an anti-notch fanatic. You are imagining things there.

Also:

My understanding of trademark law is that they don't want to control every use of the word "Scrolls", but rather the specific use of the word "Scrolls" as used to describe some manner of fantasy game. In the same way that George Lucas owning a trademark on "Star Wars" doesn't stop someone from making "A Star is Born", but might stop someone from making a sci-fi epic entitled "Star Battles".
Star Trek is a sci-fi franchise. It Pre-dates Star Wars.

Are you saying the estate of Gene Roddenberry has grounds to sue LucasArts over trademark violation?

Well they don't. Because "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" are different names, just like "The Elder Scrolls" and "Scrolls" are different names.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Treblaine said:
Star Trek is a sci-fi franchise. It Pre-dates Star Wars.

Are you saying the estate of Gene Roddenberry has grounds to sue LucasArts over trademark violation?

Well they don't. Because "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" are different names, just like "The Elder Scrolls" and "Scrolls" are different names.
I don't know.

And neither do you.

Treblaine said:
I don't remember anyone accusing anyone of being an anti-notch fanatic. You are imagining things there.
Treblaine said:
I think your idea is utter crap, and that it should be shown for the crap that it is before it spreads, ideas are powerful things when packaged in the right way. Your idea that Notch is lying, deceiving and misleading by withholding supposed "mythical exonerating points" about Zenimax is an insulting idea as it is tempting for the intellectually weak, and those who are of the opinion of not liking notch/mojang/minecraft and slavish unconditional love for Elder-Scrolls/Bethesda/Zenimax.
Nope, never happened!

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
In response to me saying he should actually understand the law he's criticizing and the lawsuit before exploding like a novelty cigar on the internet.
But that's not what you said. You said
suggesting if you're not rabidly against Zenimax you're a conspiracy theorist
Also, unless frivolous is a legal term what the law says is irrelevant to whether it's a frivolous retarded lawsuit. The only thing the status of the law changes is whether the rage should be directed at zenimax or the legal system, or in other words who's fault it is. Is it Zenimax for the lawsuit over something that will not harm them in any way? Or is it the legal system's fault for making it so Zenimax has to do that to keep rights to their trademark? I'm fairly open to hating any of them and I'm even more open to hating Notch since I have no real support for him.

Although yea treblaine does seem pretty.... insane.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
mike1921 said:
Also, unless frivolous is a legal term what the law says is irrelevant to whether it's a frivolous retarded lawsuit. The only thing the status of the law changes is whether the rage should be directed at zenimax or the legal system, or in other words who's fault it is. Is it Zenimax for the lawsuit over something that will not harm them in any way? Or is it the legal system's fault for making it so Zenimax has to do that to keep rights to their trademark? I'm fairly open to hating any of them and I'm even more open to hating Notch since I have no real support for him.
That's all I've ever suggested. No one on this forum appears to have a full, scholarly understanding of trademark law. No one knows the specific details of the lawsuit. No one knows what damages were asked for. No one knows anything, other than what they've read in fluff articles and off Notch's twitter. Yet some people have EXTREMELY authoritarian opinions on the subject.

My stance is that having huge, aggressive opinions on subjects you're woefully under-informed on is silly.

Other people in this thread clearly disagree.

EDIT: and yes, I worded my original comment poorly. My point remains. This isn't a case of "anti-notch fanboys" behaving badly. This is a case of a lot of people sounding off really loudly about a subject they do not fully understand.