Why We Love Zombies

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
I'm going to love when Twilight part 4 comes to theaters, because there's a zombie scene in it. Except that the zombie can talk and survives on eating beef because he doesn't want to harm humans. He also has a crush on Bella.
... I hope that is sarcasm because I might just find a way to hate that series more if you aren't just fucking with us.

Windexglow

Apr 30, 2009
I think it's partly because it's against a mindless (yet coordinated) primal enemy who can only be defeated by being clever. At the same time it explains why you can have so many of them in the same area. It creates an atmosphere you can't escape from forever, only temporarily.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Hoppetussa said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Ironic that you post this now, since MovieBob kinda answered it with his review of Zombieland very recently.

"We hate zombies because we hate each other."

I like this explanation a little bit more. Calling zombies "a blank canvas" is just too much. I understand that zombies can be used for purposes of social satire (ala Dawn of the Dead), but does anyone really think THIS can be used to reflect society's issues?

*picture snippage*

Also, is it just me, or does one of the zombies in that picture look an awful lot like Hugh Laurie?
You mean the one to the left? It actually does look like him.
It probably is. the pic's from Shaun of the Dead, which was full of uncredited cameos by (mainly) british actors as random zombies. I think they even had Ian McKellen in there.

PTSpyder

Aug 9, 2008
Modern people love zombies because they illustrate a fundamental truth of a capitalist society - everyone is out to get you! More then that, everyone in the society is looking to fill their needs and their needs alone. Not that different from a zombie in a mob, since each individual zombie is trying to satisfy its hunger, and in no way is working in a group.

The end result works out in both cases to be something like an overwhelming force. Even though no single individual unit withing the group is actually working towards a common goal, the goals each individual within the group has set are similar enough that in the end the group can accomplish things that no one unit, or even small groups of organized individuals ever could.