Why We Should Stop Caring About the Zombie Apocalypse

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I've been sick and tired of zombies for a long time; the only Zombie game I ever really got into was DayZ, and DayZ basically has the zombies as scenery/mild annoyances when the real core of the game is player interactions and scavenging for gear/vehicles.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Never understood why people believe a zombie apocolapse could last decades. At best 5 years. Winter would destroy a goid portion of them. Spring, maggots wpuld devour most flesh and tendents so moving zombies not high. Than the heat from dessert would mummify them if not onrease fly count or vultures would be abundent. Just my 2 cents.

Primero Holodon

Oct 18, 2011
Churrasco said:
sketch_zeppelin said:
The way I see it, Zombies still being popular isn't a big deal. Its just another option of entertainment. I never hear anyone saying. "I'm so sick of Comic Book movies", so why do zombies get so much shit for being popular. Theres still plenty of fun to be had with the subject and if your tired of it then go watch something else. It's not like Zombie's are the only option out there. I see the Zombie merchandise all over the place, I for one am not a fan of the Walking Dead Show, and i'm aware at just how many bad Zombie movies are out there. But I just ignore it. I don't single it out over all the other sub-genres of entertainment as "needing to be culled"

Your argument doesn't give any valid reason why the oversaturation of zombies in entertainment is a particularly negative thing. It just sounds like your bitching.
A Google search for "I'm sick of Comic Book movies" (with the quotes) yields almost 5,000 results whereas "I'm sick of Comic Book movies" gives us only 3,600 results. And at least comic book movies give us interesting stories.

The oversaturation of zombie movies is a particularly negative thing because nearly every single one of them follows the same generic and overused plotline. Even a smart book like World War Z was totally dumbed down in its big screen adaptation. Not to mention the premise is stupid and 100% unrealistic. Zombies are about as realistic as vampires and werewolves, and those are pretty stupid too.
Right, because realism has always been the ultimate gauge of good storytelling. I bet all the best, most critically acclaimed stories throughout history are super realistic.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
This is disregarding other media, but I always figured zombies in gaming became so prevalent because their A.I. is just so easy to code compared to more sentient adversaries. If you're fighting Evil Paramilitary Organisation V-3294 they need to know how to move in a co-ordinated fashion, execute suppression fire and flanking manouevres, proper use and care of chest-high walls, etc. Zombies can just walk toward you moaning while they become a lead sponge.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I'm so sick of zombies. I hate every aspect of them. They aren't interesting. They aren't scary. The stories involving them are shit. The amount of times I've heard a friend talking about how much they "love" zombies and hope for a true zombie apocalypse drives me utterly insane. Let's not forget that no one most people know will be the "main characters". Every single one of us would be dead in the situation of a "true zombie apocalypse". It's obnoxious. It's stupid. It's just plain lazy writing.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Eh, zombies have never done much for me in the first place. Yes I enjoy certain zombie video games, but it's more for the gameplay elements they bring to the table (strong co-op in Killing Floor, zany combat in Dead Rising) than the subject matter itself.

Truth be told, I find the fascination to be a bit unsettling. To me, zombies feel like an excuse to kill and maim people (or at least approximations of them) without having to worry about the pesky morality that usually comes with hurting a fellow human being.

To add the final nail to the proverbial coffin, even if a "zombie apocalypse" were to happen, it wouldn't be nearly as apocalyptic as fiction makes it out to be.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html
Ah, one of my favorite articles. It drives home how nonsensical zombies are as enemies.

OT: I find it creepy people still obsess over ANY kind of apocalypse, whether it's zombie or biblical or Ragnorok or JAM (I still have to read that book), and 2012 came and went. The History Channel still runs shows about the "upcoming" end of the world NOW and they have to stop it. The world wasn't destroyed, society didn't collapse, the dead have not risen, and the planet just keeps on spinning.

All thanks to Desmond Miles. Requisite en Pace, amici.

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
Contrary to popular opinion I feel the time has come for even more zombies and zombie apocali. We need to double down on zombies. Fast zombies. Slow zombies. Infected, ghouls, the risen, give me more. Pile it on until I am suffocated beneath a writhing mass of zombie flesh.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Why can't we keep zombies, but expand into new areas as well? I rather enjoy zombies when done right and I believe there are still awesome games and stories to be made with zombies. Live and let live (again).

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I don't get it. We should stop caring about the zombie apocalypse because there are other things?
We should stop caring about the zombie apocalypse because... something something human drama?
I fail to see the point of this article. Who is the author trying to convince exactly?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its famous therefore its bad is all i got from this article.

Why cant we have zombies if we want them? Why must we hate everything that becomes mainstream?

Neverhoodian said:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html
Careful here citing Cracked, for you can find things backward.

Darth_Payn said:
OT: I find it creepy people still obsess over ANY kind of apocalypse, whether it's zombie or biblical or Ragnorok or JAM (I still have to read that book), and 2012 came and went. The History Channel still runs shows about the "upcoming" end of the world NOW and they have to stop it. The world wasn't destroyed, society didn't collapse, the dead have not risen, and the planet just keeps on spinning.

All thanks to Desmond Miles. Requisite en Pace, amici.
People were obsessed with the end of the world way before the 2012 date misrepresentation and will be obsessed long after. 2012 isnt a magical date. we had doom and gloom in the 50s, in 1980, in 2000, plenty of them. This is probably your first more notable one so you think it passed and things are going down. they wont. ever. Or well, at least not until we can reverse entropy.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Strazdas said:
Neverhoodian said:
http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html
Careful here citing Cracked, for you can find things backward.
Just because it could happen, doesn't mean it won't still fail.
Also, Check the source on the last entry on that one. The one with the highest "chance". It was dated April First.

That said, I don't hate zombies. I hate how the fans made them "tame". They're basically made into walking targets for the NRA enthusiast inside of us instead shambling pale reminders of mortality.

They are the dead come back to life! Why would "killing" them again make them stop? Why is it that shooting the head always works? You know what would be frightening? If they lost their head and kept coming after us.I really wanna see a movie where someone smugly shoots one in the head(Also, call them zombies. Give them classifications to differentiate but call em zombies) then pisses themselves when they keep moving.

And why do they always look whole? I know it's cheaper to have extras come in their dirtiest clothes but why not just cut down on the make up budget and make them rioters or something. Especially in videogames. And why only humans nowadays? We don't even get zombie dogs anymore. I've seen stories where Intestines and, hell, even chicken carcasses come alive and murder people. That's inspired! You can't even trust your food anymore.

Also, why do humans always STAY bandits as the outbreak goes on. Sure some may start off as rioters but you'd think they'd be killed off or settled down. It's not like Humans like familiarity right or prefer working in tribes. Oh but apparently, the apocalypse will be the great equaliser. Yep. Those rich guys who have lots of assets and properties will be so crippled once we no longer use money and go back to bartering because that's how zombies work. It's not like there'll be an even larger disparity between the haves and have-nots

They are also the dead come back to life! I dunno but I'd be stoked to see my grandma again. Sure they'd currently be trying to bite your face off but give em to the scientists and a few years and we might have an immortality serum. History would be a cakewalk once we pick apart the biases and embellishments.

... Wow, no wonder I don't post much round here. Geez, did I mention that I do actually like most zombie media?
That said, I think I'll take this opportunity to plug Bogleech's thoughts on this because he needs more love and he puts it better than I ever could.
http://www.bogleech.com/halloween/hall12-zombies.html

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
TwistedEllipses said:
I'm a bit disappointed that this was just a short opinion piece & there wasn't more meat to this article or anything really new to contribute. Also mentioning
Under The Dome has aliens in it
is a pretty big spoiler to those who haven't read the book or seen the TV show...
Oops, I apologize. I didn't realize that this would be considered a spoiler. It's now been removed from the article. Thanks for pointing it out.