Why won't the big video game publishers leave our niche games alone?

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
You don't exactly seem to understand what niche gaming would really be. In this game, tactical strategies would be one example, with only Disgaea and other NIS properties really filling that hole. (barring the countless FFT rereleases) Or roguelikes is another one. Games like Dungeons of Dredmor, Spelunky, and the Binding of Isaac do not appeal to big markets.

Puzzlenaut said:
Explain to me why EA is to blame for the fact Bioware is now totally incapable of creating anything more than a sub-standard 3rd person action game with very limited RPG elements, cardboard cut-out characters and dull plots?
Ahahaha, armchair critics make me laugh.
Legion IV said:
PLEASE!!!! tell me how mass effect 2 is better?
Everything other than the story. Gameplay was better. Planet visits were better. Level design was better. Dialogue and acting were better. Interaction on the Normandy with characters was better. Crew is of similar caliber but more of them. MORDIN FREAKING SOLUS.

Sure, some of the 'RPG' elements got too toned down, something Bioware admits to and aims to fix with ME3. But a lot of the elements that got dropped deserved to be. The ammo concept in ME1 was good, but the massive quantity of options was burdensome. People ***** about planet scanning, but it's still loads better than driving the godawful Mako over random fuck planets that served no purpose to find minerals.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention. I'm sick and goddam tired of people whining that it's not an RPG anymore, because the clunky garbage like micromanaging inventory went away. What's the RP stand for again? Oh, right role playing. You know, like, pretending you're Shepard. Which is still the point of the game.

screwvalve

May 24, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
Mass Effect? Niche? BWAHAHAHAHA. Mass Effect was Bioware's attempt to become LESS Niche and expand into a larger market. You want a niche Bioware game, go play Jade Empire. That'll satisfy your hipster cred.
Jade Empire was not a niche game either. If you want niche bioware games you have to look at the infinity engine games they made before going all 3D. You could say that Kotor, jade empire and mass effect are really one game. That's all bioware has been doing since ditching the fantasy rpgs with neverwinter nights.