Why Would Anyone Buy a Street Fighter IV HDTV?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
John Funk said:
Frankly, I can't see this being worth the investment unless the TV itself throws a Hadouken at you every time you turn it on. And I don't mean an image of a Hadouken, I mean the real thing. Then it might be worth it.
...Now that would be sweet... then, I would only need to trick those census board guys to stand in front of the TV... Hehehehe...

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Sorry but if you don't love Street Fighter enough to buy an Arcade stick (maybe not the TE, which is wonderful but pricy) then you don't love Street Fighter.

I don't love it either, but I got a TE for blazblue and it's probably the best $200 I've ever spent.

That being said, while the TE fightstick is an expensive but beautiful stick with a minimalist aproach to the branding that TV is goddamn hideous.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
well if someone is already planning to buy a new TV in one of the sizes available...then why not get a SF one? Hell id do it....tho i would look for WoW themed one :ppP

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Wow, that's a little ridiculous.

I might, might, buy a Mass Effect themed TV that says "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" every time you turn it on...

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
well if it weren't that much more money and i needed a tv and i liked street fighter i would buy it

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
For the novelty I guess.

I have a friend with a hundred and eighty two guitars in his... Well, 'Guitar Room'.
The fact that you can only play one at a time isn't the point.
He has A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY TWO GUITARS.
Seriously!?
Who the hell does that?!

My point in bringing this up is that some people just think it's cool to have absurd stuff. They find it fun to show newcomers their awesome collection of god-knows-what-kind-of wierd crap that they have and can afford to own just for the giggles. It makes for a fun time.

Also, about the guitar collection...

If anyone wishes for proof, I'll try my hardest to obtain it. I know it sounds at best exaggerated and at worst a downright lie, but he really does have a walled compilation of hentai guitars in his basement. That's right, HENTAI guitars. I don't think I'll be able to upload it here, so I'll have to email it or something. Drop me a 'PM' and I'll mail a picture when I get it. It really is quite staggering.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Wow. A television with Street Fighter IV on it.
Pass. My mom already has a HDTV for the living room and I feel perfectly fine playing my PS3 and Wii on it.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
If anyone of you have dispensible income lining your pocket, pay off my credit card bills! :p Seroiusly, this would be great if I was rich, but being that I'm certified poor, I think I'll skip it.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I'd enjoy it if I won it in a contest or something - I wouldn't Ebay it.
But I don't think I'd ever buy one.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
John Funk said:
Created by Roundtable Concepts [http://www.rtc23.com/] - who also made a Marvel Comics-themed series of TV sets
So, can you get a SF4 one and a Marvel one, put them next to each other, and have your home electronics reenact MvC in your living room?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
This is the sort of thing you expect stinking rich nerds to have nerdgasms over and instantly be all over it before they even have a chance to unlock the doors to whichever TV retailers there are in the US.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I dunno where OP got the $150 price tag from, but a friend of mine picked up two Street Fighter IV arcade sticks for a little over $30 each off Amazon.

I wanted to pick one up myself, but the reviews are plagued with arcade stick enthusiasts who insist on replacing the stick and buttons (seriously, you'll find "enthusiasts" for anything these days).

Not to be a prude, but isn't that the entire controller? Wouldn't you save yourself the trouble if you simply put the parts together and stick them on a bit of wood? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is there anyone who can vouch for the arcade sticks that isn't physically attached to their soldering iron?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
John Funk said:
Created by Roundtable Concepts [http://www.rtc23.com/] - who also made a Marvel Comics-themed series of TV sets
So, can you get a SF4 one and a Marvel one, put them next to each other, and have your home electronics reenact MvC in your living room?
So far this is the best justification for these things I've seen yet.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the odd thing is that I'd expect an item like this to increase in value unlike other electronics/TVs that decrease in value as they become increasingly obselete. Street Fighter at this point is an enduring franchise, that has more or less succeeded in performing the rare feat of becoming cross generational. It started with Generation X, and is also big with the arriving Generation Y.

Something like this is not the kind of thing many people would spend money on, and not many units are going to be created. For a fan buying a TV right now, in 20-30 years rather than taking it to the dump, if it still works he might very well find a collector willing to pay big bucks for it given the rarity. Similar to how people have paid big bucks for comic books, action figures, etc.. especially obscure niche items. A Street Fighter IV TV is going to be one of those "did you know they actually made this..." type of item.

I suppose it's also going to appeal to kids whose parents are just now buying a TV for their room or whatever as well, however like other, similar items, I think this one was conceived as a high end collectible.

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
If it's priced the same as a normal HDTV, I see no problem with it. Seems pretty cool, and if I was a big SFIV fan I would buy this in a heartbeat.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
I guess this is designed for the nerd version of the "man cave" style of decorating. Just get a SF poster and put it next to your regular tv.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
Wow, that's a little ridiculous.

I might, might, buy a Mass Effect themed TV that says "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" every time you turn it on...
Actually, that'd be genius.

Have the remote control say "Assuming Direct Control"

I'd pay for that.