Wi-fi Network Names

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
What kind of name do you give to your wi-fi network? Is it informative, mundane, inspired, stoopid? I'm curious to know about why people choose what they do.

At my last apartment, someone had a network named "Dick in a Box" and all I could think about was what kind of juvenile, self-important asshole that person must be. Other networks appeared to be last names and/or apartment numbers. Regarding those people, I wondered if any of them knew a damn thing about information security, and if they didn't set up their own networks, why the person who set the network up didn't TELL the owner about information security.

I chose a name that I hoped added a "humor-level" of protection to my network. One that a potential hacker might laugh at, respect, and move on to others in the area. One that I also hoped would ensure that anyone who DID try breaking into my wi-fi was the type of clueless dolt without the tech savvy to do so.

The name? "Malware" ;)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It's a random string of numbers. Not a default one or anything -- they came from somewhere, but I can't remember where.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
The network name in our apartment is just a random stream of letters and numbers that I can never remember. I always have to write it down somewhere. However, I have seen some good ones, like "AbrahamLinksys," or "UnicornHideout." My personal favorite? "ShittyInternet." I only saw it for a day, but it had me literally on the floor laughing. xD

Oh! There were two network names that appeared a month ago and just recently went away at the same time. One was "FBI [small][part of LA that I live in][/small] Branch" and the other was "HackingIsNotACrime." They both went away a week a go, but that really had me wondering what the hell was going on around my neighborhood... >_>

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
PIECEOFSHIT at home because our router sucks major balls. My friend has RogersSucks because they suck and are the same people who supplied our router.

At university, it was RCMPSurveillanceHorse2. The obvious question is "where is the first horse?"

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I never change the name on mine because I move around a lot but I was on a bus one time and my phone picked up "Pretty Fly for a Wifi," I thought that was a pretty good one.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
delta4062 said:
A mate of mine always calls his FBI Security Van for shits and giggles.
I am so changing mine to CIA survalience van XD.....

mines my last name....

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
War Penguin said:
" My personal favorite? "ShittyInternet."
I've seen that too.
Or, the Finnish version 'Paskanetti'.

The only non-standard ones I recall seeing have all been profanities.

McKinsey

Nov 14, 2011
Mine is called "Go make me a sammich," because I like to boss people around. Used to be called "Dick in a box," but that name got me too much action - I kept running out of condoms.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
My landlady has named hers Pepetia, after her dog.

I will have to think of something clever to name mine when I get my own place.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
I never change the name on mine because I move around a lot but I was on a bus one time and my phone picked up "Pretty Fly for a Wifi," I thought that was a pretty good one.
Someone in my building used to have this one. It made me chuckle a bit the first time I saw it.

Right now I use "Dis Internet" because that tells me which one I need to connect to. There's one of my neighbours who have "One does not simply steal Wifi".

Also I usually roll passwords such as "Please come in" because fuck random numbers, symbols and letters. Easy to remember, easy to pass on and actually not that easy to hack. In a building where internet is included in the rent I can't see anyone even wanting to make the effort anyway so why rely on a password I can't remember?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I named mine HAL-9000, because I don't trust it. >.>

Call me paranoid, but I basically name everything technological I own HAL-9000.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Just some numbers and letters.

Someone at my uni has own called giant donkey shlong though.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Currently it goes by Komodovaraan. Yes that cute small reptile.

Why? Well it beats the other names around the area. When it comes to naming I just think up something. Something that doesn't has to make sense as I am not super ordered in how I do things.

I know people who have a whole scheme of network names but to me it doesn't matter much. I don't have a huge network, nor do I have functions like Printer Servers or Media Servers. So having a naming scheme isn't needed.

That and really it is nice to have a name that is obviously not like the standard network naming scheme you get from your provider right.

Look as long as it isn't Lucent38274928-b it should be fine. Around here, in holland, the amount of ZIGGO284384 and other random numbers is rather big. Funnily all of them are on channel 1, this means that channel 6 is relative clear of any competitors. Mmm how nice ..hehehe.

I got a neighbour somewhere on channel 13. Lovely!

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
I have mine set as "PrettyFlyForAWifi".

Yes its copied from one of those joke pictures of wifi names, but i loved it so much i had to :).

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Vault101 said:
delta4062 said:
A mate of mine always calls his FBI Security Van for shits and giggles.
I am so changing mine to CIA survalience van XD.....

mines my last name....
Hahaha mine is CIA Surveilance van 5, since someone else in the neighbourhood had one named CIA Surveilance van 4. We actually managed to freak someone out about it, it was hilarious.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
My home network called "EnlargeYourPenis".
My other Wi-Fi is named "WidenYourVagina". This is when I use my phone as a hotspot.