Wife beating is now legal in the UAE.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
deadman91 said:
Fair enough, I misunderstood (I do that far to often), no harm done. Let's forget about this and start a conversation on something easier. How about abortion?
I was thinking of discussing Johnny Depp and the new Pirates of the Caribbean but abortion's cool.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
deadman91 said:
Fair enough, I misunderstood (I do that far to often), no harm done. Let's forget about this and start a conversation on something easier. How about abortion?
I was thinking of discussing Johnny Depp and the new Pirates of the Caribbean but abortion's cool.
Do you mean the most recent PotC or the one they're planning on making in the not-distant-enough future?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
deadman91 said:
AndyFromMonday said:
deadman91 said:
Do you mean the most recent PotC or the one they're planning on making in the not-distant-enough future?
Yeah, the recent one. It seems that they just can't stop milking the series. But hey, if it brings in profit...

LongAndShort

May 11, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
deadman91 said:
AndyFromMonday said:
deadman91 said:
Yeah, the recent one. It seems that they just can't stop milking the series. But hey, if it brings in profit...
I will say that the thing I liked about the third one was the return of Geoffrey Rush's captain Barbossa, and the banter between him and Depp's Sparrow. People often say that it was Depp who made the first film, and I think that really understates the awesomeness that is Geoffrey Rush. Bringing the two together with some witty dialogue might make me willing to sit through a fourth movie with Seabiscuit- sorry, Penelope Cruz.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
deadman91 said:
I will say that the thing I liked about the third one was the return of Geoffrey Rush's captain Barbossa, and the banter between him and Depp's Sparrow. People often say that it was Depp who made the first film, and I think that really understates the awesomeness that is Geoffrey Rush. Bringing the two together with some witty dialogue might make me willing to sit through a fourth movie with Seabiscuit- sorry, Penelope Cruz.
Ah, yes. The dynamic between the two was quite funny. I especially liked the part where Sparrow escaped from the island "he was made governor of last time" and Barbossa, after encountering Sparrow in the cave again and with a confused looked on his face says: "It's not possible". His death and Sparrow's escape from Port Royal was a very good ending in my opinion.

I suppose I could also sit through a movie if the two were back together. Still, Penelope Cruz? Honestly, they could have found a better actress. Still, I suppose we should wait and see.

LongAndShort

May 11, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Ah, yes. The dynamic between the two was quite funny. I especially liked the part where Sparrow escaped from the island "he was made governor of last time" and Barbossa, after encountering Sparrow in the cave again and with a confused looked on his face says: "It's not possible". His death and Sparrow's escape from Port Royal was a very good ending in my opinion.

I suppose I could also sit through a movie if the two were back together. Still, Penelope Cruz? Honestly, they could have found a better actress. Still, I suppose we should wait and see.
As a friend of mine likes to say, hope for the best but don't expect it. It'll still get my arse on a seat - like Shia LePoof didn't stop me from seeing Indiana Jones 4 (and we all know how that went down).

Bruin

Aug 16, 2010
Vuljatar said:
My first thought: "It wasn't already?"

Bruin said:
And lastly; it's disgusting that so many people responded with things like "Figures, it's an Islamic society".
Oh, relax. The assumption is hardly baseless.
About as well-based as saying all Irishmen beat their wives and drink themselves into the poorhouse.

It's another stereotype that people are willing to believe. Mostly because, in this case, there is nobody to say anything in the contrary but Muslims themselves.

People let ignorance rule themselves in such situations, and therefore they give power to the news corporations that put out such hideously and grossly over-dramatized, exaggerated and downright false claims.