Wii don't want achievements

TheDukester

Aug 2, 2008
This whole argument reminds me of the whole gay marriage debate, in a way.

Just because some people don't want it to happen, no one should have it. It's a bad thing because it's challenging the conventions.

For those who are a bit slow, let's recap: the gaming convention I was referring to is finishing the game; the challenge, doing things in games other than just beating it.

For example, if there wasn't an achievement for the Mile High Club in Call of Duty 4, I would've never tried as many times as I had (I still don't have it, dammit....). That argument about making a better game? It doesn't apply here. The level isn't broken, the game isn't broken--the level is just hard. There's no point in beating that level, since you already beat the game, but there is that achievement. That last damn achievement, and if you get that achievement, you can show people that you can.

Anyone can SAY they've done it, but if a gamerscore actually proves it, no one can deny it.

Not that any of this matters. Again, I go back to my first argument: just because some people don't want achievements doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. They change the ways we play games, which is a good thing.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
OK, yeah, I don't always like Miyamoto, but it's nice to know he recognizes this online, anonymous dick-wagging competition for what it is. Next to the lack of backwards compatibility, those damned achievements are the biggest reason I don't want a PS3 despite my oft-mentioned intention to marry my PS2.

Don't fret and think that IGN monkey's opinion is the worldwide one; it might not even be his own. Remember, places like IGN, Gamespot and Gamespy get along by payments from developers to say their shit is best. That's why we're here at the Escapist, isn't it?

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
bowserboy26578: I'm with you on this one. I don't know why people cling to them so much, when they're pointless. You can turn them off, sure, but that doesn't stop them from existing. This is why I don't play online, though... nobody wants to play the game anymore, they want to join guilds and get huge gamerscores and win tournaments and teabag you. They want to brag about their achievements on their system, even if it's pointless grinding on shitty games. Anything that would possess a person to keep playing a badly-made game for hours is gaming POISON.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
WE DON'T WANT MORE 'WII'-RELATED PUNS, AND WILL MURDER SOMEONE/THING NEXT TIME WE HERE ONE.
and achievements are kind of cool, as far as i'm concerned, its not like one is forcing you to go for them... right?

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Achievements can get you into crazy situations l:

And some people enjoy achieving them... in fact some people enjoy achieving them, some people force there kids to look list of game achievements before playing game... dad D:<

But seriously chill...

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Achievements have being around for as long as videogames have. They just used to be called "high scores".

Nothing wrong with achievements in and of itself, but I just feel that it's a little condescendent of the designers to award you with a medal for every little thing you do in a game.

That indeed can be distracting if there is some deeper story or message being expressed through the game. Granted, that still ain't much the case with a lot of games out there, but it still is a factor to be weighed.

That's probably what some others posters referred to when speaking about immersion breaking.

Now, if Sony or other publishers are demanding this as a design philosophy, then it is turning into a vapid and patronizing fad. Is this claim accurate? I hope it isn't.

Sir John said:
Nothing wrong with achievements. It's nice to have some actual evidence that you did something cool. You can tell people that you whipped all the colossi, but is anyone gonna actually believe you if you don't upload it to youtube?
You could show that you have learned it by performing the feat again in front of the people in question.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
My xbox notifications are off and I haven't opened up the "achievements" tab in years. I don't dislike achievements i just don't care about them... at all.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
What we need are real-life achievements.

Give people a nonexistent reward for doing their laundry in a certain amount of time, or eating more crackers than anyone else.

they'll be so preoccupied with trying to raise their peoplescore that they'll become docile and easily manipulated and phase 1 of my master plan will be complete mwahahahahahahaha!

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
bowserboy26578 said:
mad benji89 said:
i dont get the hole achivement hate, like some of them are really fun for example on left 4 dead 2 chop 200 hundred zombies heads of with a hand weapon and i dont think there is anyone here who dosnt enjoy watching heads fly off in the distance and you say people start the hole mine is bigger than yours well there is nothing wrong with abit of Competitive behavour.
the point is that you shouldn't need a signal to be proud ofyourself in a game. You just killed 200 zombies, that's it's own achievement. You don't need the game to recognize it for you. You just did alot.
Yes i do need game to recognize it,(it always good to get reinsurance what you did was awesome) and turn off your achievements and stop making a crappy argument... plz? D:<

Am i feeding a troll?
Dorian6 said:
What we need are real-life achievements.

Give people a nonexistent reward for doing their laundry in a certain amount of time, or eating more crackers than anyone else.

they'll be so preoccupied with trying to raise their peoplescore that they'll become docile and easily manipulated and phase 1 of my master plan will be complete mwahahahahahahaha!
Seems like a good idea except for the master plan thing...
it get nerds to stop being lazy :D

BUT! If you did Modern warfare on veteran just for the achievement YOU NEED HELP!

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
Disagree much. Achievements are easy ways to extend play time and put gamers into interesting situations.
Exactly, like playing through Ravenholm using only the Gravity Gun, how is that a bad achievment? All it does it make you approach the mission with a different mindset.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Ericb said:
Achievements have being around for as long as videogames have. They just used to be called "high scores".

Nothing wrong with achievements in and of itself, but I just feel that it's a little condescendent of the designers to award you with a medal for every little thing you do in a game.

That indeed can be distracting if there is some deeper story or message being expressed through the game. Granted, that still ain't much the case with a lot of games out there, but still is a factor to be weighed.

That's probably what some others posters referred to when speaking about immersion breaking.

Now, if Sony or other publishers are demanding this as a design philosophy, then it is turning into a vapid and patronizing fad. Is this claim accurate? I hope it isn't.

Sir John said:
Nothing wrong with achievements. It's nice to have some actual evidence that you did something cool. You can tell people that you whipped all the colossi, but is anyone gonna actually believe you if you don't upload it to youtube?
You could show that you have learned it by performing the feat again in front of the people in question.
Thread winner right here!

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Chipperz said:
SikOseph said:
Chipperz said:
Depends. Which did you think was better, Star Trek or Star Wars?
WIN for me. I thought Star Wars was overhyped shit that kids might enjoy, and I never really got the appeal of Star Trek.
Dammit, yeah, you win. You're in the lesser nerd-dom categories.

For the record, if you read his post and are now disgusted that he thinks that about either... You're a massive nerd of the highest calibur :p
... My brain just said the word, "Damn." to me.

Seriously, here I was, thinking that he was crazy, when you said that.

I'm going to go cry in my Shame Corner, you cruel heartless bastard.

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
Oops, those posts didn't work for some reason. Any way to delete them? Sorry 'bout those.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
oh boo hoo cry some more, don't like them? neither do I... do you think I actually give two shits about them? nope, there are much better things to waste my time doing...