Wii Games Get Better In 2009

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Sad that people still think that the toy named after what my 2 year old calls piss is a game console.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I hope the Wii's games are going to get better. I have my Wii above my 360 collecting dust... and I feel sorry for it.
Come on, Nintendo. You can do it. New, good games... NOW!

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
What great joke... You ever tried being comedian.. Srsly, Wii games getting better... Ahahaa!

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
Kiutu said:
Yeah cause ratings are always really accurate, sure, ok.
To be fair they are pretty accurate.
If you mean for Wii games, you could be right since I dont pay close attention to Wii anymore. If you mean in general, I dont think so.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Kiutu said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Kiutu said:
Yeah cause ratings are always really accurate, sure, ok.
To be fair they are pretty accurate.
If you mean for Wii games, you could be right since I dont pay close attention to Wii anymore. If you mean in general, I dont think so.
I don't know for Wii games, I don't give two shits about the Wii myself. Actually I might switch to your side for this one. I would like to know how and where they get these 'ratings'.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It does have good games, it's just that their drowned in loads and loads of shovelware. That's what was keeping the average rating down. The good ratings from good games were cancelled out by crap ratings from crappy shovelware. It's a shame really.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Well the holiday hasn't started yet, and that's when all the good PS3 and Xbox 360 games come out (and after all the delays, this includes the beginning of 2010), I'll be impressed if these scores remain the same through the end of the year.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
So what's the explanation, here? Are reviewers grading Wii games on a curve, now? "Oh, it's good - for a Wii game." Is the Motion-Plus making that big of a difference? Or, as Divnich posits, "it could be possible that developers finally 'get' the Wii." Mandatory waggle segments may be less clunky and more seamlessly integrated as developers get accustomed to the technology.
my guess is Divnich has it right, although we'll find out how much developers have really learned once Red Steel 2 comes out.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Or, as Divnich posits, "it could be possible that developers finally 'get' the Wii." Mandatory waggle segments may be less clunky and more seamlessly integrated as developers get accustomed to the technology.
Cursed Mountain is one of the few titles to get motion controls. It has a really interesting situation where you have to do ritualistic hand gestures to free the spirits you encounter and oddly enough... it's really immersive. It's feels like you're actually doing something significant. Twilight Princess is one of the many titles that had it wrong.

midpipps said:
I am still waiting for a game for the wii that has story. I play mine when my mom or friends or such come over and we want a party game but I have yet to see a wii game with a indepth story.
Speaking of Cursed Mountain... ;-)

I was a little hesitant about getting the game because the reviews are modest scores (but they praise everything that I find lacking in most games). However, it's doing something that needed to be done for the Wii... mature gaming. It's not mature because it has loads of violence and nudity. It's mature because it doesn't cater to a child's intellect.

I have to warn you though, it's not an action game. It's a slower paced adventure. I really liked Endless Ocean for it's relaxing pace and this game feels the same. Many of the reviews claimed that gamers would have to get used to running everywhere, but I'm finding it quite enjoyable to just walk (hike) and treat it like a realistic experience. I only run when the ghosts are chasing me. ;-)

I think I'm about half way through, but it's been really good so far. It's based on Tibetan lore and feels very rich in setting. Play it at night in the dark. Good stuff.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Are reviewers grading Wii games on a curve, now? "Oh, it's good - for a Wii game."
This seems to be it considering I'm missing all those supposedly great titles that would influence such a come back.

... That said, it's also true that the words "good for a wii game" are becoming more and more common on Wii games' reviews these days. It's kinda like reviewers have accepted the limited potential of the Wii and condescendingly scaled their expectations accordingly. Kind of like you congratulate a retarded kid for finishing a race, even if it takes him twice the time everybody else would...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Sad that people still think that the toy named after what my 2 year old calls piss is a game console.
This confuses me. Google is your friend in this case.

1. an object designed for children to play with, such as a doll or model car
2. an object that adults use for entertainment rather than for a serious purpose:

Unless getting headshots is serious business for you, your PS3/360/games console is a toy. It might be able to do other things, but it's first port of call as a games console is that it plays games. Ergo, it's a toy. No clue what the Wii must be playing if they aren't games though, guess you've got me there, I guess it isn't a games console. >_>

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Echolocating said:
Cursed mountain actually sounds pretty interesting may have to look and see if I can find it around here. I had not even heard of this game which brings me to probably the biggest qualm with wii. There is so much junk coming out it is hard to sift through to find the gems that are not AAA and marketing is pretty much nonexistant for anything other then nintendo or ea games which is sad because I am sure there are some better games that just skip by without anyone noticing.

iod

Nov 15, 2006
You have to remember that a whole lot of the people who bought the Wii are not hardcore gamers, and they don't have TIME to be hardcore gamers. They may seen an hour a week as totally worth their money for the system, thus pushing the averages way down even if Wii-owning "classic" gamers use the system just as much as PS3 owning gamers.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
scotth266 said:
Flying-Emu will be pleased.
Oh snap! He got called out!

And such. If you're implying what I think you are, that pisses him off actually, he would disagree.
?

I was saying he would be pleased at this guy proving that the quality of Wii games is supposed to be very similar to those of other consoles.

If you think I'm calling him a fanboy, trust me, I'm not :D

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
scotth266 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
scotth266 said:
Flying-Emu will be pleased.
Oh snap! He got called out!

And such. If you're implying what I think you are, that pisses him off actually, he would disagree.
?

I was saying he would be pleased at this guy proving that the quality of Wii games is supposed to be very similar to those of other consoles.

If you think I'm calling him a fanboy, trust me, I'm not :D
Oh good then, everybody wins.

Except me. Because I was wrong. So I'll go off myself then. Rifle in the mouth, or electric sander to the throat?

cavado28

Sep 16, 2009
I am learning to download wii games [www.thewiidownloadsreview.com]. I also care about how to burn cheap wii games [www.thewiidownloadsreview.com]. Playing wii games is so interesting.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
These aggregate scores are completely useless. They're a collection of subjective opinions from a VERY small group of people hired to be the voices of taste and reason. Screw 'em. They didn't take into account the most important opinion of all, mine (see 'yours').

Just because critics liked the Wii games 6% more, doesn't mean the games are actually better. It's a subjective score, given on an arbitrary basis. These companies just want bite-sized quips to add to their game box. "Almost perfect..." IGN 9.0

No one will write:

"Biggest tripe since E.T" - Random Forum Dude 2.1
"Insults the consumer in every way..." - Rabid Fanboy of Competing console
"They at least used the highest quality Shellac to polish this turd..." - Skeptic