Wii Remotes Hacked for Science

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Wii Remotes Hacked for Science

Nintendo's goal with the Wii was to create a new gaming experience that would appeal to a broad audience, but the company probably never imagined that audience would expand to include scientists using Wii Remotes for completely different purposes.

The Wii Remote is now officially one of the world's cheapest scientific sensors. The scientific community at large has been hacking into the wireless gaming controllers and using them for purposes that are quite different than collecting coins and smashing Pikachu off a cliff.

Wired [http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/12/wiimote-science/] has the story, highlighting a specific group of researchers that have discovered the Wii Remote can be useful to them for a fraction of the cost of normal equipment. Physicist Rolf Hut and hydrologist Willem Luxemburg of the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands are featured, showing off what they've done with the little white wireless wonder.

Hut first turned the Wii Remote into a wind sensor that he built in a day. Basically, as long as an LED light is involved, the Wii Remote can track anything. Luxemburg tried something more tricky, measuring a body of water's evaporation, which normally requires equipment priced at $500 or more that still isn't quite accurate. Alternately, the Wii Remote's "tri-axial accelerometer and high-resolution, high-speed infrared camera" can "sense movement with better than 1 millimeter accuracy" for the cost of $40. Using LED lights on floats, Luxemburg's team was able to get real-time water level data on the cheap.

However, the Wii Remote is not without its pitfalls as a sensor. Battery life is fairly short, and it cannot store any data on its own. Hut believes with a little work, these problems and more can be solved. He predicts that some great ideas will come along in as little as a month, planning himself to measure temperature with a Wii Remote somehow.

This is a great example of scientific innovation being driven by where the money is. In this case, it's the multi-billion dollar videogame industry. Burning on the heels of the Wii Remote are Microsoft's Gem [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96064-Project-Natal-Makes-Times-List-of-Top-Inventions-for-2009], both of which could be presumably used for the same purposes. If the Wiimote can be so useful, I'm most interested in seeing what the much more futuristic Natal can do for science.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/12/wiimote-science/]

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
So let me get this straight.

It can measure more accurately than very expensive scientific equipment and it still can't register the fact that I'm waving the damn thing?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
More and more people are using technology from gaming systems for non-gaming purposes (Military, science, military science). I wonder how this'll affect prices, whether the previously used overpriced technology will plummet or if gaming prices will go higher as the consolve developers realise they can cash in on this.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Jonny49 said:
SCIENCE!!
MOAR SCIENCE!

Though, great work by the guys. I have seen some inventive things been done with the Wii-Remote. Wonder what Nintendo thinks of all of it.

rampantcreature

sticky-fingered filcher
Apr 14, 2009
There was a class I took at Hampshire...where all of our final projects used Wii-motes. There were 3D tunnels, puppets, head trackers...all kinds of crazy shit. It's fun to play with Wii-motes. Even for the class, Wii-motes (and Blue Tooth adapters) were relatively cheap, and there are several well-documented open-source libraries for them. I highly recommend dicking around with them.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
See, what I would like to know is just what gave those scientists the idea to fiddle with the Wii remote in the first place.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Amnestic said:
More and more people are using technology from gaming systems for non-gaming purposes (Military, science, military science). I wonder how this'll affect prices, whether the previously used overpriced technology will plummet or if gaming prices will go higher as the consolve developers realise they can cash in on this.
More importantly, how long until Nintendo release a crappy plastic laboratory to connect to it ;)

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
You know, for as much shit as people give Nintendo this is pretty cool.

whattheblub

Nov 18, 2009
Friend of mine who's working at the tech department of a university mentioned that the sensors in the wiimote are actually more acurate than any of the ones they could find in shops

Samurai Ralan

May 8, 2009
Wiimotes have alot of outside practical use like that. I'm sure you guys may have mentioned Johnny Lee before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw headtracking wii mote or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ&feature=channel where he makes an interactive whiteboard.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
proving once again that science is fucken awsome

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
whooaa
i firgured the wiiremote was very.. inaccurate
seeing as they had to make that motion plus attatchment...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Donrad said:
whooaa
i firgured the wiiremote was very.. inaccurate
seeing as they had to make that motion plus attatchment...
Looks like the IR component rocks pretty hard, just not the accelerometers.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Well good for them I guess.

Seems that science can make something useful out of anything.