Wii shop games to Wii U?

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
Hey, first, sorry if this belongs in "advice" instead of gaming... I wasn't 100% sure.

But anyway... I recently got a Wii U, knowing it was backwards compatible with the Wii. I was all set to paint my Wii Purple and start calling it a Game Cube Plus, but then I remembered something...

I bought games on the Wii Shop Channel!

So, if there is a way, how can I get my Wii shop games on my Wii U without buying them all again?

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Have you used the transfer tool?
If you don't know what that is let me direct you here:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_system_transfer.jsp?menu=how_to&submenu=wup-transfer-ht-content

I think this only works once per console (but I'm not sure) so make sure you get everything you need at once

You have to play the Wii shop games on Wii mode unless you spend another $1 to upgrade them to their Wii U version (basically lets you play on the gamepad and adds Miiverse)

Also, Im pretty sure the WiiU is only Backwards compatible with the Wii (again, not sure)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
suntt123 said:
I think this only works once per console (but I'm not sure) so make sure you get everything you need at once

You have to play the Wii shop games on Wii mode unless you spend another $1 to upgrade them to their Wii U version (basically lets you play on the gamepad and adds Miiverse)
You are correct in that you can only do it once and after that the content is locked to that specific Wii U, no transfering after that. Also, you can play VC and Wii Shop games on the GamePad already as one of the updates allows you to play Wii and Virtual Console games on the Gamepad, you just have to use a Wii mote still.