Wii U Update Eats Most of Basic's 8GB

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
I swear Escapist articles on anything Nintendo are always "NINTENDO PULLED SOME CRAP THAT WASN'T REALLY CRAP BUT IT'S NINTENDO SO IT'S UNFORGIVABLE!".

They make it so you can use external HDs instead of Nintendo branded ones in order to reduce hardware costs? IT'S BAD.

Major update wrecks systems when you ignore all the giant warnings on the screen? SHIT SYSTEM!

Joystick is underneath the ABXY buttons instead of above them? TERRIBLE CONTROLLER.

The Wii U is strong enough for games and for developers to be happy but not substantially stronger so that it makes the console cost absurd amounts of money? WHO WANTS TO WASTE THEIR MONEY ON THIS CRAP?!

As other escapists have said, what if there was a power outage, what if he tripped on a cable? Him turning off the console during an update is a really stupid idea, but nintendo should at least have a fail safe.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
doomspore98 said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
I swear Escapist articles on anything Nintendo are always "NINTENDO PULLED SOME CRAP THAT WASN'T REALLY CRAP BUT IT'S NINTENDO SO IT'S UNFORGIVABLE!".

They make it so you can use external HDs instead of Nintendo branded ones in order to reduce hardware costs? IT'S BAD.

Major update wrecks systems when you ignore all the giant warnings on the screen? SHIT SYSTEM!

Joystick is underneath the ABXY buttons instead of above them? TERRIBLE CONTROLLER.

The Wii U is strong enough for games and for developers to be happy but not substantially stronger so that it makes the console cost absurd amounts of money? WHO WANTS TO WASTE THEIR MONEY ON THIS CRAP?!

As other escapists have said, what if there was a power outage, what if he tripped on a cable? Him turning off the console during an update is a really stupid idea, but nintendo should at least have a fail safe.
Most hardware gets the same thing with major updates. The Wii U is no exception to it.
That may be true, but it is still silly to blame the person updating when the article said that there were no warnings given, what if a 5 year old was playing. Do you think that they would know that you shouldn't unplug the system?

YouBecame

May 2, 2010
One thing, a lot of people are saying only people who balls up and unplug their console - what about people who get a power cut? Or a dodgy power lead? Or some other weird environmental issue. They, through no fault of their own, would also be in this position.

It feels as though an error like this should be recoverable, if the console ere designed properly. A factory reset...or something

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
rhizhim said:
shintakie10 said:
Two things here.

1. It amuses me that even consoles can't get away from day 1 updates.

2. How retarded do you have to be to unplug a console in the middle of a system update? There's always a big ass warnin "Dont unplug or power down the console during this update." I haven't tested this myself, but I suspect if you unplugged say...a 360 when they did their new dashboard update halfway through you'd also end up with a lovely paperweight as well.
could had happened during a power failure. it is unlikely that it may happen, but nonetheless the wii u should handle this. there should be a failsafe.

the more i read about the console the more i think that its utter crap.
how the hell CAN they get away with this shit?

VanQQisH said:
shintakie10 said:
Here's a fun thing to try. Next time you have to update to a new windows service pack, unplug your computer halfway through. Come back and tell me how it goes.
Actually, with Windows, it makes temporary backup files of everything before it begins to apply new service pack data and automatically reverts to that backup data if the main folder it should look into is corrupt or incomplete.

It means you move back one service pack but it sure as hell beats owning a paperweight.

nice burn against shintakie.
thats what i mean.

the WII "fuck" U should have a failsafe like these system backups..
A backup for the 5 GB of updated data? On the 8 GB drive? Me thinks it unlikely this is a possibility for them.

That being said, 8 GB is unreasonably small for a modern console. It must've cost more to get that small a drive as opposed to a larger one. I'm not blaming the system failure on Nintendo's software people, they're working completely within the bounds of their hardware. Their hardware people should've thought the drive space through better.

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
doomspore98 said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
doomspore98 said:
A Smooth Criminal said:

Most hardware gets the same thing with major updates. The Wii U is no exception to it.
That may be true, but it is still silly to blame the person updating when the article said that there were no warnings given, what if a 5 year old was playing. Do you think that they would know that you shouldn't unplug the system?
A 5 year old shouldn't be using the console by themselves anyway, generally at that age a parent is required for the console setup. And generally the common sense things is that when something is updating, you leave it alone. I know that you don't always have to leave things alone while they update, but it's the logical thing to do when you're not sure.

Besides, warranty means that they can get free replacements.
But that brings us back to the point of the unexpected, what if there is a power outage, what if somehow someone trips over a cord and accidentally unplugs it. Warranty is great and all, but what if it happens when the warranty expires.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Mygaffer said:
GAunderrated said:
Mygaffer said:
If this guy was supposed to be a games journalist then he should have known you NEVER unplug a console that is in the middle of an update.

While there should be clear warnings not to unplug or power down the device he should have known it was not a smart thing to do.
As other posters have already said, this isn't about the guy unplugging his wiiU during an update, its about nintendo not having a fail safe after requiring a 5GB update release day to prevent the system from becoming a brick.

I had a friend who got a pre-order from her fiance and its having the same problem as moviebob being DOA (dead on arrival). With the lack of WiiU's available and all the failures that are resulting from them I can safely assume that the WiiU was severely rushed that it doesn't have a basic fail safe and a 5GB update at launch.

I am glad I missed the pre-order window.

captcha: hoity-toity

yes captcha most people defending nintendo's mistakes tend to act that way
I didn't defend Nintendo's mistakes and you completely weaken any argument you have when you make personal attacks, "hoity-toity", against people with whom you disagree.

I don't own a WiiU and I am not going to own a WiiU but this guy should have known better. You don't interrupt a system update. Do other consoles have a fail safe for this occurrence? I only game on PC but if I kill power to my system while doing a BIOS update I'll have bricked my board.
Personal attacks? What aspect of your life have I attacked? You are correct I mistaken when said defending, to say you are deflecting their mistake's would be more accurate. I make a valid point and you deflect by saying "do other people do it?" as if that would somehow negate Nintendo from their mistake in not adding a fail safe.

Since you brought it up yes the ps3 which I have owned for many years does have such a fail safe. My cable was disconnected by a pet during the update after the ps3 hack and I did have to reformat/lose data but my ps3 isn't a brick. The PC example is a bit of a straw man argument as the need to update bios is done very rarely for any PC. This would be more similar to windows updates which happen quite frequently.

Also I'd hate to point this out but "this guy should have known better". Really??? According to who? Where is this mythical committee that decides what people should know and what they shouldn't know. What should have happened is Nintendo should have at least put up a warning for any incident that could result in the system bricking. That warning would at least deter them legally from responsibility but their lack of warning falls on their shoulders.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
GUYS GUYS GUYS, can anyone link me a page or anything where Nintendo officially said that the update is 5gb? because the only thing i've seen is one dude's twitter, not the most reliable of sources.

also Firmware updates will kill any system if you interrupt it by turning of the power during the process.

the rest here is copy-pasted from a post i made on a similar thread on this forum
sure a 5gb(citation needed) day 1 update should not happen but the worst thing that can happen is that you get a power outage(I'll get back to this one) or you/someone else unplugs the console. otherwise it's just a minor drawback that requires some patience, i mean it's just been launched and there will be plenty of time to play with it after the update.

now as for power outages, this is unlikely, sure it can happen and i feel bad for those that it has happened to. but unless you live in an area where power outages are frequent this shouldn't be a problem. If you happen to live in such an area then i assume gaming is already very inconvenient and you have invested in some form of safety mechanism.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
herpaderpa he unplugged during an update.

How shit are the people creating the updates that they do it during the download!? Oh, my power came off during the update because I live in a rural area and I have a slow internet. Well, fuck you then!

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Two things here.

1. It amuses me that even consoles can't get away from day 1 updates.
What do you mean "Get away from day 1 updates"? Why would you want to do that. Day 1 updates are, simply put, easy ways for developers to solve any problems that they couldn't hammer out before launch. They spend about 3-4 months AFTER they're done with development just waiting for release. Why not, instead of having them sitting around doing nothing, take advantage of the prevalence of the internet and get straight to work fixing any bugs that didn't get fixed? Seems like a pretty damn good idea to me.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
shintakie10 said:
2. How retarded do you have to be to unplug a console in the middle of a system update? There's always a big ass warnin "Dont unplug or power down the console during this update." I haven't tested this myself, but I suspect if you unplugged say...a 360 when they did their new dashboard update halfway through you'd also end up with a lovely paperweight as well.
Would you? To my knowledge, if you accidentally unplug the 360 while *downloading* the update, you would at least be forced to start the download again, and at most be required to restore the 360 to factory default. The Wii-U doesn't appear to have ANY backup systems at all.

Besides, mistakes happen, and 5 gigs of data can take a LONGGG time (in the neighborhood of days) to download for many people. It's just good that this was discovered by a reviewer early on and not during some future update. Hopefully now Nintendo will at least come with a back-up system.

Any issues with the 360 or others are (to my knowledge) always when the system is disconnected while the update is being applied and not while the update is just plain downloading. That is some pretty stupid engineering to not automatically back up the original when downloading a new update. As for what happens while applying the update...that's a bit more understandable, but should still at LEAST have a "restore to factory default" option.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Magichead said:
saleem said:
Lol I get it that every new piece of hardware comes with teething problems but you cant blame everything on it. This article is just illustrates user stupidity kicking in, you know off the bat that you dont have much in the way of storage. That being the case your first action should be to stick an external drive or high capacity pen drive into the machine. Honestly its not like this issue hasnt been discussed in length by everyone who is involved in games. Additionally anyone who has used a console in the last 7 years or so knows that you dont interrupt updates or game saves/loads or it could lead to data corruption.

Finally the article title is misleading - instead it is regaling us with stories about the incompetence of someone and tries to lay the blame at ninty's feet.
Sorry, but there is no excuse whatsoever for designing a modern computing device which can be totally bricked by something as simple as an update being interrupted. There are any number of scenarios in which such a thing could happen which require no "user stupidity" at all, and other companies are evidently capable of designing systems capable of withstanding such mundane errors; why is Nintendo's inability to do so anyone's fault but Nintendo's?
Here's a fun thing to try. Next time you have to update to a new windows service pack, unplug your computer halfway through. Come back and tell me how it goes.

Oh oh, also. Next time Sony or Microsoft do a new dashboard update, or whatever the hell Sony uses, unplug the system halfway through the update. Tell me how nice your paperweights are after.

This guy is a grade A idiot. Every single system update has a chance to royally fuck you over if you're a massive idiot. Why would you unplug durin a system update? At all? If the system forced an update when he loaded it up, even if it didn't brick the console, what part of his brain thought it wouldn't just restart the forced update?
Exactly, turning off ANY system during an update will break it. The guy is an idiot and moron and the reason we get stupid warning on everything, including a "don't turn the system off while updating you f#$@en idiot" that all systems have (minus the last 3 words) and yet he ignored.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
And this is one of the many, varied reasons why I NEVER buy a console at launch.

Call me in a year when there's a solid library of games, people aren't trampling over each other to buy one for their little shit kids, and (most importantly) all the hardware issues have been ironed out.

But, I'm also gonna jump on the "you done goofed" train. Really, WHY would you stop a system in mid-update? That's just asking for trouble.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Yeah, just tried that. It went great. On restart, I had to manually restart the download, but then it finished, and the update installed, no problems.

EDIT: Full version: It's not "just tried that", I bricked a desktop in ~2004, when I lost power while doing a bios upgrade. I've lost power during two updates (one XP update around 2006, and an ME install back in... god, I think 2001). I've seen Vista service pack updates get killed mid update.

As I recall, ME was the only system that proceeded to shit itself and die. Though, as I recall it was prone to doing that on it's own without any external intervention.

EDIT 2: and come to think of it, I've seen my Gateway FX actually commit suicide mid update on a service pack and it needed to do a self repair, but it was a simple fix.