Wii U's Friend Codes Won't be as Awkward

Bitcoon

May 16, 2012
JokerboyJordan said:
Bitcoon said:
Innegativeion said:
See, I don't see the benefit of a friend code over, say... a friend-request system.

Any kid can give out his friend code to total strangers no problem, just as he can hand out friend requests or accept random friend requests.

What's the goddamn difference?

Please just ease our minds, Nintendo. Usernames. That's all we're asking of you.
There actually IS a benefit. A 12-digit code may be somewhat of a hassle to enter if people don't separate them into easy-to-read groups of 4 digits like they appear on the console, but it's actually significantly easier to enter ####-####-#### on a 10 digit keypad than it is to enter xXNarUt0darkWolffXx on a full on-screen keyboard.
So it's easier to enter a 12 digit number than to simply go to a friend's friend list and add them?
Because I think that's what they should be integrating, not some friend code shit
EXACTLY my point. It doesn't matter if it's Friend Codes or not. Fact is, what makes Nintendo's online system suck is the lack of those things I've previously pointed out, NOT the fact that when you want to manually add a friend, you have to enter in 1234-5678-9012 instead of J35U574K37H3VVH33L.

Friend codes are not the problem. You could argue either usernames or FC are superior, as there are positives and negatives to using FCs (which I outlined already), but they are FAR from the CORE of the problem. I can't message friends, go to their pages when I meet them online, voice chat with them (in-game or out), see their stats and achievements, etc etc. THAT is the problem.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Nintendo's smugness and arrogance has come early this round. I sincerely hope they fall flat on their faces. Back when I didn't have a job and could only ever get one console, I loved them dearly. Now that I can buy almost anything I want, they're like an annoying ex-boyfriend trying their lame schtick out on more unsuspecting girls. (I don't know why I painted myself as a girl in this scenario.) It's going to be overpriced, underpowered, have shitty third party support, shitty online, and fucked up controls. I bet the damn things will still use regular batteries. And no DVD support and proprIetary connectors. You wanted HDMI cables? At launch? Why?

It's been like this since the N64.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Not a single friend that I've added on XBL has been a 'friend of a friend' and would be impossible to add under your system. Probably 1/4 of my friends required either me or them to enter the other's username manually. Which is a helluva lot harder than typing in 12 numbers.

Your idea would also be useful for a couple of instances, but keeping the numbers makes it far easier for adding friends as long as friend-requests and the other stuff that he talked about are implemented.
So putting in a string of numbers is easier than words?

Suave Charlie vs 5614-8287-1265

I know which one I'd have to keep looking back at to make sure I put it in right..
And the example of someone having a user name of "xXISnIpEr ProIXx MLG" doesn't work for me, cause..why would you want to be friends with someone like that :D