Wikipedia's Accuracy

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
For anything thats not school related I will generally use it and find it to be accurate

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I find some false stuff on there every now and then, but it's usually things that are way too wrong to even think are real at all.

Superlordbasil

Feb 23, 2009
usually accurate just sometimes in certain areas like history would state what is really an uncertain area as fact

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
One word: wikiality
http://www.wordspy.com/words/wikiality.asp

If an alteration is subtle enough, it will not be noticed.

Most of the information on there is probably accurate. But there is a heightened risk of inaccuracy because people en masse are quite dumb.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Julianking93 said:
I've hardly ever noticed false info on Wikipedia unless it's someone trolling the page like when I was last on the "Lamb of God" page that read...

Lamb of God are a bunch of fucking retarded pussies who piss their pants on stage and can't write a song for shit
Other than that, it's usually pretty accurate but if it isn't, it's usually fixed pretty quickly.
Exactly, and it permanently updates and is therefore often more accurate than older books. A study was done on the very factual pages of wikipedia and of standard text books for university.
There are normally 3-4 errors on a wikipedia page and 2 on a modern text book page. That is a very small difference and the study was done on books by appraised publishers like Heinemann. No source of info is perfectly accurate and wiki isn't very much less than the official university books.

Tanto-chan

Nov 9, 2009
It's usually pretty accurate the only thing is than anyone can go in and mess with it that's why it's looked on as a non credible source.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
It's quite accurate when it comes to a lot of things. However, it's a bad idea to allow any freely editable documents as sources.

Of course, considering that many pages in wikipedia provide actual legitimate sources, it never hurts to look stuff up on wikipedia just to get a general idea of it and perhaps get a few sources that are included there.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Furburt said:
Basically, I do use wikipedia for these things, but I always check the sources they link to, and if I can, compare and contrast to a fixed source.
That. A friend I have even once said that his teacher told him that they can't use wikipedia, but they can use the sources that wikipedia used...

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
It's accurate to a certain degree. I wasn't allowed to use it as a source for any of my projects for school this year but it's alright. I've gotten worse information from other sites before like Starcraft 2 was cancelled or Obama has legalised pot...oh wait, I think I got that one from THIS site.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Accurate enough for pretty much whatever you want to know.
Check its sources if you really need to know.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Wikipedia isn't a credible source, but it's a very fast hotlink to credible sources. Citations are fantastic, they do all the legwork for you. So yeah, in that respect, if you check the citations you'll never get suckered.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Wikipedia is very accurate, but it's can't be a trusted academic source because there's no guarantee it was edited by an academic. It's perfectly useful as an overview and often links to academic sources anyway, though, so it's still a perfectly valid tool to use in essay writing or whatever.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
I have one rule: "Trust no one, and nothing!"
So, yeah, I don't trust Wiki, but I think it's pretty accurate let's say 68%, make it 72%

Milney

Feb 17, 2010
oppp7 said:
So my old school didn't accept Wikipedia as a source due to the possibility of it being edited, and I doubt my college is different. How accurate do you think Wikipedia is? Ever found false information(not vandalism)?
It's not a valid source for anything more than idle curiosity, and getting a vague overview on a subject. This of course varies from topic to topic, with some being far more accurate and in depth than others, but on the whole for anything more important or deep than a bar-room discussion of "I wonder what was about?".

If I remember correctly there was a really good quote about Wikipedia that's appropriate for this question. To paraphrase, "The people who need Wikipedia don't have enough knowledge to accurately judge the information they're reading; the people who have the knowledge to accurately update Wikipedia don't have the time to".

There was actually a study carried out by my University whilst I was there over the reliability of Wikipedia (admittedly a completely different department) which was interesting in showing an "acceptable" level of accuracy in Wikipedia.

Besides the "accuracy" of Wikipedia, the main reason for centres of education not deeming "Wikipedia" as a valid reference - especially for scientific matters is that it's a tertiary source of information, more often than not being quotes of quotes of data obtained elsewhere. Alot of meaning can be lost unintentionally because of this - that and it's an important skill in academia in being able to deal with source materials (whether scientific results, mathematical equations or Shakespearian prose) without the need for someone to "paraphrase" it into a form you are more comfortable with, to keep the information "pure" and unbaised.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
It's about as accurate as any other encyclopedia out there. Probably something like 85%, bu don't quote me on that.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
I used to use Wikipedia all the time, but now I'm at University, and they basically open all criteria with a massive [NO WIKIPEDIA AS REFERENCE].
So I don't use it anymore, apart from personal browsing
Do I trust it? Yeah, as much as I trust all other websites...

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Wikipedia is about as accurate as most other secondary sources. It's just that Wikipidia's shortcomings are better documented. Other sources are just as flawed, they just feel more reliable because there paper. Sure, Wikipedia has vandalism, but most of these instances of vandalism are obviously so. Vandalism will rarely lead someone astray, because you can probably figure out that the Pope isn't actually an interstellar crocodile, and faulty edits are usually taken down with incredible speed. The point is that you should trust sources which are as primary as possible. Of course, you can most certainly use Wikipedia to jog your memory, or find a good overview of the material before you hunt down the sources behind the article. It may not be a source in and of itself in an academic setting, but it is still a very useful tool.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
As long as you arent looking for info about politics,religion, videogames or other disputed things, its pretty much spot on.