WildStar Beta Weekend Code Giveaway

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
WildStar Beta Weekend Code Giveaway

The upcoming MMO WildStar looks like its going to be amazing. We're giving you a unique opportunity to play WildStar during a beta weekend. The fine people from NCSoft have given us a ton of codes to giveaway for this coming weekend (May 2nd - 4th). Not only will you have the opportunity to play WildStar but for every day that users log into the game they will receive three Boom Boxes at launch. These Boom Boxes will be very helpful when the game launches as they contain a random assortment of goodies, these goodies could be anything from XP buffs to weapons.

Make sure to follow these Twitter accounts as they will be giving away codes throughout the day:

@TheEscapistMag [https://twitter.com/TheEscapistMag]
@WMDogma [https://twitter.com/WMDogma]
@SmarmyHobo [https://twitter.com/SmarmyHobo]
@encaen [https://twitter.com/encaen]
@JonathanBolding [https://twitter.com/JonathanBolding]
@Unaz [https://twitter.com/Unaz]

Creating an NCSOFT Account
*NOTE: If you already have an existing NCSOFT account, you can safely skip these steps.
Visit the NCSOFT account creation website and enter your details.
Follow the link in the email you receive to verify your email address successfully.

Redeeming your WildStar Beta Key
Click "Apply A Code" on the red banner near the top of the page.
Paste in the serial key you received.
Click Apply.
If you receive a success message, you're good to go! If you receive any errors, double-check that the serial key was correctly entered.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
If I remember correctly, this is the last beta weekend they have planned until launch. Originally they had sort of maybe planned an open beta, but I havent heard diddly about it so that could have just been one of those Ghostcrawler promised me a pony moments and not an actual planned thing by Carbine.

Seriously though people, give this a shot. UI still has some kinks to work out, but if last beta weekend was any indication they're smashin through those issues far faster than I had anticipated. Plus its gorgeous to look at. At the very least wander around the Aurin/Mordesh startin zone or look at the great Dominion architecture.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
King Whurdler said:
And if my PC wasn't total ass I'd be all over this like you wouldn't believe. time to upgrade it seems.

Seriously, this is the game that's likely going to get me into PC gaming full time.
Might I inquire as to your enthusiasm? I played a beta weekend already and found it to be eye-bleedingly similar to so many other MMOs I've played that I couldn't bring myself to get off of the starting ship. What about the game do you find compelling? Also, I don't intend this to be an argumentative post, I'm just curious as to what about the game grabs you.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I was curious but I had been burnt by NCSofts callous treatment of their EU fan base with Aion, first pretty much ignored...even the EU rep was on US times, no flashy GM bans on EU servers for all those bots and spammers... deleted topics about the lack of activity rather than fix the issue, then tossed the EU to some other company to milk dry.

Nah, dont think so... will wait for when they tossed to the game to some 3rd party to milk, and it goes F2P to have a look at but not picking up at launch... will adapt a wait and see on this title.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
It's too late, I did 2 weekend sessions, I'm already sold. I have not bought an MMO on launch in ...well since the last WoW expansion. And this game will have actual EU servers! Not just American servers with the tagline 'EU' stamped on it. Thank bloody nora, finally.

I like the aesthetic, I like some of the later combat missions and stories, I like where the overall tone of the game takes me. This game just sings style. And one I like. Cartoony, goofy.

I just reeeeally want them to optimize it before launch, it's getting dangerously close now and lots of people are still reporting fps issues and bugs related to their hardware.

There's shit to work out, alot of shit to work out.

But the stuff I like I reeeeally like. The dungeons feel dangerous, the world varied and equally treacherous.

It's what I've wanted from a scifi MMO for a while now. Starwars just never captured the right tone for me. I need some goddamn humor and parody that isn't so ...stifled. This shit is shameless in that capacity.

And note to those who didn't get out of the starting zone. There's alot left. I mean it, later on the content has not slowed down with introducing new things to try. And I hear they're really going to push to get end game content out (as you need to with an MMO).
They've worked on WoW so I assume they know what they're doing at least a little bit.

ASnogarD said:
I was curious but I had been burnt by NCSofts callous treatment of their EU fan base with Aion, first pretty much ignored...even the EU rep was on US times, no flashy GM bans on EU servers for all those bots and spammers... deleted topics about the lack of activity rather than fix the issue, then tossed the EU to some other company to milk dry.

Nah, dont think so... will wait for when they tossed to the game to some 3rd party to milk, and it goes F2P to have a look at but not picking up at launch... will adapt a wait and see on this title.
Carbine is being really strict with NCsoft and demanded them being the publisher in name only. They're the ones handling the bulk of all the work and the GMs in this game and on forum have been on speeddial, and answered every single one of my misgivings about the game in great detail and empathy. I have 2 friends who've been in the permanent beta and have concurred with my experiences.

Also, WoW's old developers. Also not free to play/play to pay. (Meaning the bots and spammers have a wall to contend with) I'm going to have a little more faith in them since they're not a localization team like Aion's, who's head office probably doesn't give a shit about their success outside a certain asian market.

I really have despised NCsoft in the past as well, but since it's been Carbine dealing with all my issues, I really feel like they've got very little hand in all the affairs during my testing.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Gorrath said:
King Whurdler said:
And if my PC wasn't total ass I'd be all over this like you wouldn't believe. time to upgrade it seems.

Seriously, this is the game that's likely going to get me into PC gaming full time.
Might I inquire as to your enthusiasm? I played a beta weekend already and found it to be eye-bleedingly similar to so many other MMOs I've played that I couldn't bring myself to get off of the starting ship. What about the game do you find compelling? Also, I don't intend this to be an argumentative post, I'm just curious as to what about the game grabs you.
The combat felt really good to me. I like the contrast between the wind ups and the mobility. There was also a ton of customization. It felt like it could get really deep to me. If you never got of the ship that means you never got the chance to play with skill trees or design a house.

EDIT: I also enjoyed the writing. The products for the zombie race were great. Who doesn't love pet sealant.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
mcnally86 said:
Gorrath said:
King Whurdler said:

The combat felt really good to me. I like the contrast between the wind ups and the mobility. There was also a ton of customization. It felt like it could get really deep to me. If you never got of the ship that means you never got the chance to play with skill trees or design a house.

EDIT: I also enjoyed the writing. The products for the zombie race were great. Who doesn't love pet sealant.
Thanks for the info. I know I didn't get to experience much of the game, that's why I figured I'd ask. I ran around blasting same-ish looking mobs for a bit and, as a settler, decided to make a few upgraded things for players to use. This meant picking up the same-looking, flashing item off the ground and running them back to a predetermined point for set up. I thought I was going to have a boredom induced stroke by the end of it, but if there's much greater appeal beyond that first part, I wouldn't mind checking it out. I appreciate your input.

Gilbert Estrada

Apr 30, 2010
Gorrath said:
mcnally86 said:
Gorrath said:
King Whurdler said:

Thanks for the info. I know I didn't get to experience much of the game, that's why I figured I'd ask. I ran around blasting same-ish looking mobs for a bit and, as a settler, decided to make a few upgraded things for players to use. This meant picking up the same-looking, flashing item off the ground and running them back to a predetermined point for set up. I thought I was going to have a boredom induced stroke by the end of it, but if there's much greater appeal beyond that first part, I wouldn't mind checking it out. I appreciate your input.
I strongly recommend giving it another look. The intro areas ARE pretty basic, but that's to be expected.. they're the 'tutorial' areas that help newer players familiarize themselves with the game and its approach to certain mechanics.

There are going to be some basic tropes that are common to MMOs (fetch/kill quests, deliver X to Y, etc...) because it's still an MMO at heart, but the presentation and general atmosphere are a breath of fresh air, and while it's not quite a sandbox there's less of a sense of being on rails.

Since collecting items and using them to build buff stations and similar items doesn't sound like it appeals to you, you may want to forgo the settler path. If you're more into poking around the secret or hard to reach corners, try playing as a scientist or explorer next time. Can't speak for the soldier path, haven't tried it myself yet.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Gilbert Estrada said:
Gorrath said:
mcnally86 said:
Gorrath said:
King Whurdler said:

I strongly recommend giving it another look. The intro areas ARE pretty basic, but that's to be expected.. they're the 'tutorial' areas that help newer players familiarize themselves with the game and its approach to certain mechanics.

There are going to be some basic tropes that are common to MMOs (fetch/kill quests, deliver X to Y, etc...) because it's still an MMO at heart, but the presentation and general atmosphere are a breath of fresh air, and while it's not quite a sandbox there's less of a sense of being on rails.

Since collecting items and using them to build buff stations and similar items doesn't sound like it appeals to you, you may want to forgo the settler path. If you're more into poking around the secret or hard to reach corners, try playing as a scientist or explorer next time. Can't speak for the soldier path, haven't tried it myself yet.
My issue with the settler path was more the execution than the idea. I was really curious as to how it would be implemented. I was hoping settlers could make real, impactful changes on towns and the like but instead it came across as a glorified fetch quest. I played DAoC back in the day, and with the right professions you could make huge impact on keeps and towers, so I was excited for something like that.

Still, with your urging, I will give the game another look this next beta weekend. I considered that perhaps things would open up once I was off the ship, but I was pretty sure I was going to catch cancer if I played any longer than I did. Thanks for your input.

Gilbert Estrada

Apr 30, 2010
Gorrath said:
My issue with the settler path was more the execution than the idea. I was really curious as to how it would be implemented. I was hoping settlers could make real, impactful changes on towns and the like but instead it came across as a glorified fetch quest. I played DAoC back in the day, and with the right professions you could make huge impact on keeps and towers, so I was excited for something like that.

Still, with your urging, I will give the game another look this next beta weekend. I considered that perhaps things would open up once I was off the ship, but I was pretty sure I was going to catch cancer if I played any longer than I did. Thanks for your input.
Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the settler path myself. It's probably the most 'grindy' of the paths that I've tried so far (and my reading seems to reinforce that idea) in that your primary task is collecting materials and then bringing them to a certain location to build something. The idea is to improve the general 'quality of life' for all of the players in an area, and there are a few ways they do that beyond just the simple buff stations (transport hubs, safe zones in dangerous areas, projects where multiple settlers pool efforts to create large bonuses like extra merchants or NPCs with more gear/quests to offer).

I'm glad you're giving it another shot, I'm guessing you'll enjoy the game more once you've had a chance to kick off the training wheels. :)

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
"Oh! I've heard of that! I thought it got lost in the MMO underworld or something... Hmmm. Better have a l... Oh, colour! Excitement! Gib! Gib! Gib!"

It probably doesn't speak well of me how quickly I was suckered in by that trailer, but... Damn. I might give it a go! Bits and pieces looks dreadfully generic, but as long as there is a good spirit to it, I can live with that.

It's a bit of a risk, getting excited about an MMO these days, but that is what the spess frontier is all about; entering orbit and taking your chances.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I signed up a long time ago. I never got any mail from them until last weekend when they gave me a beta code. I made my account, and the verification email took 3 days to get to me. I turned off spam filters, and I had them resend it several times.

When I finally got 2 out of the 5 emails I requested, the beta weekend was over. I have ZERO email issues from any other source that I know of. Also, if you don't verify by email in 24 hours they delete your account so getting the email 48 hours later is just bad for business all around.

My interest already fell over the last year as it is, but I hope some of you can actually play it lol