Will a Lava Lamp Work on Jupiter?

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Welp... lots of time on my hands. I guess I'll build a super spinning device and load it with hot wax, oil and use my expensive cellphone as an accelerometer. I can't see how this can go wrong!

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Stilt-Man said:
The experiment is regarding Jupiter's gravity, not Jupiter's environment. Everyone knows the lava lamp wouldn't work on Jupiter -- there's no electricity there.

I think this is fantastic -- it's encouraging to see someone taking the initiative to learn something for themselves, as opposed to just Googling/Wiki-ing it. I'm sure this all boils down to Mythbusters science, but even so, all I did in my hey-day was read comic books and play video games.

Well done, Mr. Fraser.
This.

It's amusing how people criticize him for having "too much time on his hands".

"What did you do this weekend?" Somehow, "built a centrifuge out of an Erector set and tested a lava lamp in it" sounds way cooler than... um... anything I've done in my spare time in recent memory.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Umm lava lamps work due to relative density changes, it has nothing to do with gravity other than to dictate which direction is up. I'd like to see how it works in space.

insectoid

Aug 19, 2008
Imagine if everybody who had sudden urges to do experiments like this pooled all their brain-power together. We'd have a cures for the worlds most terrible diseases in approximately 8 minutes.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Having a lavalamp myself, it's good to know that while it'll be effected, it'll still be cool to watch. You know... if I ever go to Jupiter.