Will DRM Finally Beat Piracy? Notorious Cracking Forum Says Yes

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Antigonius said:
What kind of a mentally challenged person do you have to be to stream uncompressed video feed? Of course compressed one is going to be expensive but it vastly reduces the size. Next, 600mbs connection already exists - my provider gives 1GB connection and I live in a fucking third world country, compared to USA or EU.
Of course - if the the whole game is on a server and the player receives only video feed - than yea - the server will have a hard time.

The next issue: PING IS NOT FASTER THAT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!!111 Well good for him - it never stopped me from playing MMO's you know. Australia is fucked because no one gives a damn about them, but European/USA server is not that bad. Played Wow on US server - 200 ping - A OK.

tl,dr: We code the video and place servers closer to us and no problem. Although I have to agree - it's not gonna be cheap. However, if the hardware will grow exponentially in power, the modern coding algorithms of video coding will work a lot faster.
One that does not accept video quality loss as compromise for game streaming.

Yes, 1GB connections exist, but only for a very small public. and thats only assuming minimum resolution and framerate here. for people gaming on 1440 or even 4k resolutions or those with 144hz monitors that 1gb isnt even going to be enough.

Ping does not have a speed. its a measure of response time. in order for it to be so low in order to not affect the gameplay you will have to transfer the data at the speed of light or have a streaming server very close to your house. I dont think you understand how close it has to be. EU cant have a single server. if the server is anywhere but inside your city you wont have a good experience. 200 ping is OK when all the calculations are done locally on your client. this is not going to be anywhere close to ok for streaming. 20 ping is going to be way too big, let alone 200.

No, we dont code the video. if we code the video it defeats the entire purpose of having servers stronger than local machines. and we dont have servers close enough and having them close enough is completely unreasonable solution since you will have to have literally millions of servers in every town city and village.

This is just amusing to read. Yes - servers are a problem for implementing videogame streaming today. The internet-problem however is BS - unless you live in some kind of Zimbabwe you will have a decent bandwidth (and if you DO live in Zimbabwe - you probably have better things to do that sitting here anyway).
the problem is you not understanding the requirements for this to work and assuming that its the same as movie streaming. its nowhere even close.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
Strazdas said:
Copyright infringement requires you to copy the data. Hence the name copyright. Since you copy the data, the original is not being removed. because original is not being removing, it is not theft. Now dont get me wrong, it is still very much illegal to infringe copyrights, its just that the action being done is different than that of theft. Also note: Theft is a criminal charge while copyright infringement is a civil charge, a distinction worth mentioning for US people (TPP actually want to make it a criminal charge btw)
Copyright infringement is essentially failure to pay for work done which is generally a civil matter in most jurisdiction unless fraud can be proven.

On the other hand if your boss refused to pay you for work you have done, then most people would consider that a form of theft.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Antigonius said:
What kind of a mentally challenged person do you have to be to stream uncompressed video feed? Of course compressed one is going to be expensive but it vastly reduces the size. Next, 600mbs connection already exists - my provider gives 1GB connection and I live in a fucking third world country, compared to USA or EU.
Of course - if the the whole game is on a server and the player receives only video feed - than yea - the server will have a hard time.

The next issue: PING IS NOT FASTER THAT THE SPEED OF LIGHT!!111 Well good for him - it never stopped me from playing MMO's you know. Australia is fucked because no one gives a damn about them, but European/USA server is not that bad. Played Wow on US server - 200 ping - A OK.

tl,dr: We code the video and place servers closer to us and no problem. Although I have to agree - it's not gonna be cheap. However, if the hardware will grow exponentially in power, the modern coding algorithms of video coding will work a lot faster.
Well, for one thing, it takes time to compress and uncompress that much video, so you're adding a delay on top of the rest of the delays. Very few people have that kind of bandwidth. Anyway, while 200 ping doesn't matter in a MMORPG, it definitely matters for an FPS, or an RTS, or a MOBA, or really any game type where split-second mouse/keyboard management makes a big difference.
Also, servers are expensive to build and maintain. This is why most companies either build one giant server in a relatively central location covering a large area, or try to get the players to host games themselves. This is without running tens of thousands of unique instances of the game on top of their existing loads. It would take a huge breakthrough in CPU and GPU manufacture, and even though they're not too far off, that sort of power is not cheap. The cost will not be worth the lost sales to piracy any time soon.
This is just amusing to read. Yes - servers are a problem for implementing videogame streaming today. The internet-problem however is BS - unless you live in some kind of Zimbabwe you will have a decent bandwidth (and if you DO live in Zimbabwe - you probably have better things to do that sitting here anyway).

Ping is not a problem (see above), Servers - yea but that will change in 5-10 years
And that you can't play the game without a stable internet connection - yea, that's a bummer, yet that's your and only your problem - 3G internet is only beginning to rise in my country, while USA, UK and others are introducing 5G already. Get a better internet.
That's just straight up ignorant. The places I used to live, the options were either dial up or satellite/cell internet, both of which have narrow bandwidths and low data caps. I live in a pretty large city near some of the largest cities in the country, and the fastest possible package I can get is 50mbps, or about 6.25Mbps. The U.S. does not have good internet, and the infrastructure isn't going to drastically change any time soon. "Just get better internet" is a dumb thing to say, because it's not available for a large group of people. this map [https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/section-706-fixed-broadband-deployment-map] gives a good indication of the state of internet for people away from cities. This isn't too much of a problem if the game only has to connect to a server to receive occasional updates, or if the game is run on a home computer with only the relevant data being communicated by the computer, but it becomes much more of a problem when the entire game has to pass back and forth. While things are better in other places, the U.S. makes up a significant portion of their customer base. They're not going to deliberately cut off that many sales.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Nielas said:
20 ping per city, lolwhat? You should change your provider - that is a shitty internet! 20 - is a ping for a neighbouring country! Although I don't remember in details, but I had 200 ping from my country to USA. Europe servers had 50 max or no ping at all (unless the server was very poorly made)

And yes:
The whole point of this is that your PC will turn into essentially a terminal, and won't have to make millions of calculations like now. Yes, I agree that you will have to have servers in all major cities. That is a necessity and there's gonna be a lot of them - also fact. But because there's so many servers, there is no point in concentrating them in one place - you will just have to spread them in required quantities across the country.
I can't be sure about what ping is OK for streaming purposes - maybe you're right about that, but the fact is - big ping speaks only about the line quality. With a quality line across the whole country ping will bee tiny, if will be at all.

Oh and yes, the funniest thing about the post - SERVERS WILL BE STRONGER THAN PC!!!
That's the fucking point! Fuck expensive hardware - a monitor, a mouse and you play whatever you want.

So to conclude - right now, the problem is in unholy beating the servers will take. Not in ping.

P.S Oh, yes I forgot about the NO LOSING VIDEO QUALITY!!111
Have you forgotten, that with right parameters, the loss will be so insignificant, no human eye will be able to see the difference compared to the video size? Not to mention that there are algorithms, that do stuff without losing video quality? Yes, they compress not as good, but still - not a raw video
20 ms ping requires you to send a signal and get a response in 20 ms. Lets assume it takes you 1 ms to send a signal and 1ms for the server to send a signal (in reality, its more). this leaves 18 ms for a round-trip. this means that one-side trip is 9 ms. Now, lets assume that the signal is directly wired to the signal (nothing in between it that could slow it down) and it moves at the speed of light (fiber optics). This means that the signal can move a maximum of 0,009*300000=2700 KM. This is the radius where in absolutely ideal situation you could have 20 ms ping. Now real life is quite different. in real world most of that 20 ms will be taken by server response time and the Internet provider hops in between, so real life radius is closer to 270 KM.

It is literally not possible to have no ping at all. this is physical impossibility. no data can travel instantaneously.

Your computer will still have to handle all the streaming and decompressing though, so the terminal cannot be some weak chromebook anyway. Also having servers for everyone in every city entirely defeats the purpose of having streaming to begin with. it is also entirely economically unfeasible.

No, servers will not be stronger than PC. Even the 3k GPU render servers still barely outperform well built PCs in terms of power per dollar. yes, they are beneficial to render companies due to massive power in a single cluster, but if you are splitting it up you may as well have many machines. the only benefit will be that not everyone will be using them at the same time so only peak use counts will be needed. Like i said before, no, a monitor and a mouse will not do. you will still need to have a powerful GPU to decode it.

Even in RAW the quality problems of GPU generated image is obviuos. ANY loss of quality is spotted by everyone that isnt as blind as a bat. And yes, there are apgorythms that can compress it to a point without loss of quality, but the amount of power it will take to encode and decode them in real-time (and all of that has to happen in less than 20 ms minus the time the data is being sent to you from the server) will mean we will need even more powerful computers. see, the benefit of RAW is that once its generated you can just send it, no extra processing needed. with encoding, you will need at least 4-5 times the processing power to encode it quickly enough. once again making it economically unfeasible.