will fallout 3 be too much like oblivion

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
The Admiral post=9.69735.669631 said:
The thing I worry most about Fallout 3 is the humor. Fallout 1 & 2 were satirical gold. I fear that Bethesda will try but miss the mark the way a blind kid misses the broad side of a barn.
After watching the trailer for Fallout 3, I fear the same myself.

nmmoore13

Jun 17, 2008
tiamat5 post=9.69735.670629 said:
I sure hope not. Oblivion was one of the few mistakes I ever made in buying a game. What I don't get in Fallout 3 is that freeze the game and shoot at a certain point on the enemy's body. What is to stop me from doing that throughout the whole game? Wouldn't that just make the game to easy? I can stop any enemy in time and aim for his most vulnerable spots? Hmmm!!! A flaw in gameplay maybe?
No, you get a specific amount of action points that regenerate over time. You spend action points going into VATS so you can't constantly spam it. Its risky too. Maybe you can find the weak spot but depending on how large it is, the chance of hitting it might be relatively small.

Digitalpotato

Aug 29, 2008
Too much like oblivion? You mean with bugs jumping out of the box and a million and a half key-combos to remember? I hope not.

n01d34

Aug 16, 2008
Umm... are people really saying you could finish the entire game of Fallout 2 without killing anything? Okay then tell me how to complete the Tyler's gang guarding the church quest without killing someone? How about the Rat god quest? The raiders attacking Vault City quest?

Well I guess if you meta-gamed the hell out of it, avoided any quest that ended in violence, ran away from every random encounter. You'd be breaking the game but then you'd still end up looking at Frank Horrigan and well...

Your point I guess is that Fallout contained a lot of quests that had diplomatic endings, more so then perhaps any RPG before it, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking that every quest had a non-violent solution. And don't complain if Fallout 3 has horror of horrors quests that can only be solved with violence. Would it be good if Bestheda added more diplomatic quest solutions then they usualy do? Of course it would but lets not hold them to an unreasonable standard.

Hell I wouldn?t want every quest to end in non-violence because a really big thing thematically about Fallout and post-apocalyptic fiction in general is that humanity when pushed to desperation is a violent beast.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
n01d34 post=9.69735.689855 said:
Your point I guess is that Fallout contained a lot of quests that had diplomatic endings, more so then perhaps any RPG before it, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking that every quest had a non-violent solution. And don't complain if Fallout 3 has horror of horrors quests that can only be solved with violence. Would it be good if Bestheda added more diplomatic quest solutions then they usualy do? Of course it would but lets not hold them to an unreasonable standard.
Very well put. I couldn't have said this any better.

Bowstring

May 30, 2008
n01d34: Indeed. I get extremely annoyed when someone complains about not being able to complete the game without killing anything, like it's all Bethesda's fault. You're right, in Fallout 2 there was no conceivable way of finishing the game if you didn't kill anything. Frank Horrigan wouldn't budge, even if your speech level, intelligence and charisma were high enough to persuade a nun to wrestle a bear.

I DO hope there's multiple ways for quests to be dealt with, and hope for a lot of quests to end with diplomatic conclusions; but we can only hope for the best.

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
Fallout is in the same basic genre as Oblivion, but otherwise, looks like it will be very good. Saying that Fallout is too much like Oblivion is like saying Halo is too much like Quake. They are both FPS games with a strong multiplayer aspect but otherwise, are pretty different.

finalcut315

Jun 18, 2008
no offense mister topic creator sir, but it's ridiculous to ask if this will feel like oblivion. the game is a first-person, role-playing-game. can you think of a different games series that was a first person rpg? bioshock doesn't count. oh wait, you could ask if this is might and magic with guns.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Ya know, they say it isn't like oblivion, but after seeing the videos, it STILL looks like oblivion, no matter how much they changed.

I'd be more comfortable if it was called like...Fallout: [some weird subtitle, like "tactics"] - I'd be less nitpicky.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
n01d34 post=9.69735.689855 said:
Umm... are people really saying you could finish the entire game of Fallout 2 without killing anything? Okay then tell me how to complete the Tyler's gang guarding the church quest without killing someone? How about the Rat god quest? The raiders attacking Vault City quest?

Well I guess if you meta-gamed the hell out of it, avoided any quest that ended in violence, ran away from every random encounter. You'd be breaking the game but then you'd still end up looking at Frank Horrigan and well...
I may have worded that wrong. You don't have to physically fight Frank. You can hack the sentry guns and talk his guys into mutiny, and that'll do the work for you. That's an option, see how that works? Oblivion *hates* options, which is why we're hoping they do a better job with Fallout 3.

- J

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
Call me as uncultured as you want but I never played a fallout game before and I loved Elder Scrolls 4 and still do. Maybe I'm missing the point here but why not instead of caring if it is a good FALLOUT game, we instead care if it is just a good game PERIOD. One game does not ruin a series and if it does then you are very fickle and I'd like you to me my friend Anal McNitpicky. Bethesda is going to make it at least somewhat like Oblivion but is that really so bad. It seems as if they haven't lost a sense of humor with the game as well I mean a perk that makes it so every enemy killed explodes in gore seems pretty fun and funny to me. Maybe we all need to step back and say "Hey it isn't the fallout we know and love but does that automatically make a game bad?". I'm not saying that this thread has been a victim of fanboyism because a lot of people are actually listing very valid reasons for concern with this game. I'm sayin though that some posts scream fanboy and some threads drip with anti-bethesda sentiment because they "ruined" Elder Scrolls and are going to "ruin" Fallout. So lets all take a step back and ignore for a minute the word Fallout appears and just ask if the game itself looks good. Is it hard to save judgment of a game till after it comes out.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
blaze96 post=9.69735.690110 said:
Call me as uncultured as you want but I never played a fallout game before and I loved Elder Scrolls 4 and still do. Maybe I'm missing the point here but why not instead of caring if it is a good FALLOUT game, we instead care if it is just a good game PERIOD. One game does not ruin a series and if it does then you are very fickle and I'd like you to me my friend Anal McNitpicky. Bethesda is going to make it at least somewhat like Oblivion but is that really so bad. It seems as if they haven't lost a sense of humor with the game as well I mean a perk that makes it so every enemy killed explodes in gore seems pretty fun and funny to me. Maybe we all need to step back and say "Hey it isn't the fallout we know and love but does that automatically make a game bad?". I'm not saying that this thread has been a victim of fanboyism because a lot of people are actually listing very valid reasons for concern with this game. I'm sayin though that some posts scream fanboy and some threads drip with anti-bethesda sentiment because they "ruined" Elder Scrolls and are going to "ruin" Fallout. So lets all take a step back and ignore for a minute the word Fallout appears and just ask if the game itself looks good. Is it hard to save judgment of a game till after it comes out.
Ok, so if Nintendo bought out bungie and then made Halo you wouldn't care? Changing everything you loved about the game for a different crowd doesn't make you angry?
Please don't post non-related youtube videos. -mod

How can you not possibly relate to this? How can anyone not relate? Even if you haven't played fallout, never even HEARD of Black-Isle, it still isn't very tough to understand, some new company wants to take the franchise you love and change it into a different one, and if the game is a failure, then you'll never see it again, and if the game is a success, you'll see "TES V: Fallout" instead of a true fallout sequel, forever.

You don't need the game to come out to see if it can possibly be good or bad, I mean, look at those kane and lynch videos, the game looked awful, then you played the demo and saw that it sucked, then you decided to rent the game and still realized that it sucked. The whole point of the marketing is to make you think "does this look good or bad?" - then you take your pick. Clearly, if someone Hate's bethesda, and loves black isle, and then finds out that bethesda takes over black isle's franchise, they are gonna go apeshit. Comparing bethsoft's quest writing to black isle's I was skeptical from the start.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
tiredinnuendo post=9.69735.690068 said:
I may have worded that wrong. You don't have to physically fight Frank. You can hack the sentry guns and talk his guys into mutiny, and that'll do the work for you. That's an option, see how that works? Oblivion *hates* options, which is why we're hoping they do a better job with Fallout 3.

- J
I hadn't known that is what you were referring to, either. In any case, the option exists to be a charismatic hacker character if you put all your points in that sort of thing. I don't know if you will be able to have sentry bots and other characters with you through enough of the game to actually beat it without firing a shot, but they don't stop you from getting that sort of thing.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
Until I've actually played the game I will be unable to answer your question. Will Fallout 3 be like Oblivion? I simply don't know.

D2wontdie

Aug 6, 2008
noooo i have high hopes for it and that it will be a good and creative compilation fps and adventure which with oblivion being a good adventure game and adding boom blam blam kawoosh will make it better

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
I had kind of written off Fallout because I disliked Oblivion. Sandboxing is ok, but the game, to me, didn't give me enough direction. Then again, I favor more linearity than the average gamer.

But then I saw the demo, the setting (I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings) and the ability to go between the FPS and RPG modes, and I might be willing to at least get it off Gamefly. There still appear to be the same stats which I dreaded dealing with, but those might be passable if the story moves along quick enough and I get a clear sense of where to go.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
It will be pretty different.
Though I would find it pretty funny if I ran into a mutant, and in the voice of a Nord it said "I've fought mud crabs more fearsome than you!"

ElArabDeMagnifico post=9.69735.690284 said:
(that awesome video)
That was awesome, I want more. where?

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
The Iron Ninja post=9.69735.690618 said:
Though I would find it pretty funny if I ran into a mutant, and in the voice of a Nord it said "I've fought mud crabs more fearsome than you!"
"This is the part where you fall down and bleed to death!"

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
meatloaf231 post=9.69735.690631 said:
The Iron Ninja post=9.69735.690618 said:
"This is the part where you fall down and bleed to death!"
"Then pay with your blood!"