Will Joe Biden Drop Out of the Presidential Race

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Well that didn't last long.

On-topic, has anyone seen Joe Biden lately? I heard something about projecting an image of him over the grand canyon.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well that didn't last long.

On-topic, has anyone seen Joe Biden lately? I heard something about projecting an image of him over the grand canyon.
I thought no-one had heard from Joe Biden in about 2-3 months. Which might be a good strategy for him.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
I thought no-one had heard from Joe Biden in about 2-3 months. Which might be a good strategy for him.
He's done a few interviews and videos, but he's been keeping quiet for the most part, which isn't a bad strategy at this point. As I mentioned before, the best strategy at this point is to frame it as Trump v. generic Dem, effectively a referendum on Trump's time in office, and keeping a low profile for now helps with that.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The situation is actually dumber than just a public gesture. They're closing down and cleaning a few hours a night as an front to move the homeless out of the subways. That way there won't be riders around to see that process happen. Like, it's difficult to imagine a more at covid risk person than the homeless taking shelter in NYC subway cars, yet there they were for an entire month of pandemic. Coupled with stories of parties having to be broken up, swanky clubs opening for invite-only rich guests, central park more crowded than ever, it's unclear whether the city is doing anything other than shut businesses down.
Sadly, the homeless may have actually been safer on the street and in the subway than they are in many of the shelters. Until they actually have adequate, safe long term and permanent housing solutions for low income and homeless, this is only going to get worse. As for being able to control what the wealthy do, you should expect as much in a plutocracy. The wealthy in the US believe they are above the law regardless, and they pretty much are because they can afford expensive attorneys to keep things tied up in court delays until they are eventually thrown out. Widespread disregard for laws, rules and regulations is due to lack of central leadership and ability to enforce. Most of the time though nothing is enforced as " guidelines" are not enforceable in the first place. It is an extremely lackadaisical response.

Now given that NY is being crushed by COVID-19 and having their services at all levels extremely overwhelmed, the inability to enforce much right now is expected to be more difficult than it is in areas not as hard hit.

When we have the combination of Police being extremely short handed due to COVID-19 illnesses and deaths on their force, while ALSO having a massive increase of calls and added responsibilities, I do not expect enforcement to be as easily achieved. This has gotten worse as this continues, but the losses from the force started to increase back in March. They did graduate new cadets to the force early, but they are not going to be as adequate as seasoned officers in being able to handle what is expected of them during a pandemic.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
He's done a few interviews and videos, but he's been keeping quiet for the most part, which isn't a bad strategy at this point. As I mentioned before, the best strategy at this point is to frame it as Trump v. generic Dem, effectively a referendum on Trump's time in office, and keeping a low profile for now helps with that.
Indeed: never interrupt your enemy whilst he's making a mistake.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Yeah, I saw that tweet. It's a quote from a consultant who it's unclear if she's working with the Biden campaign (she worked on Obama's and Buttigeig's campaigns, but I've not seen anything having her directly work for the Biden campaign) filled with the exact words needed to make something go viral in the algorithm. Honestly, it wasn't much to talk about for me because, again, I'm not sure she's working with the campaign.

What I can say for sure is that that combination of buzzwords hit the sweetspot to get every actual and wannabe pundit writing about something other than COVID-19 for a day, which I'm not convinced was an improvement.

Reactions: Kwak

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Yeah, I saw that tweet. It's a quote from a consultant who it's unclear if she's working with the Biden campaign (she worked on Obama's and Buttigeig's campaigns, but I've not seen anything having her directly work for the Biden campaign) filled with the exact words needed to make something go viral in the algorithm. Honestly, it wasn't much to talk about for me because, again, I'm not sure she's working with the campaign.

What I can say for sure is that that combination of buzzwords hit the sweetspot to get every actual and wannabe pundit writing about something other than COVID-19 for a day, which I'm not convinced was an improvement.
With such evident manipulative political acumen she certainly SHOULD be working for The Campaign To Reanimate Biden. Give that lady a job!

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
With such evident manipulative political acumen she certainly SHOULD be working for The Campaign To Reanimate Biden. Give that lady a job!
Will they be one of the priests on the side who's soul gets drained to create his phylactery?

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Will they be one of the priests on the side who's soul gets drained to create his phylactery?
I think you're confusing Biden with Dick Cheney... Who is somehow still alive by what I'm sure can only be described as full on necromancy at this point...

Biden is the hero Goofy is when he accidentally beats all his other opponents through sheer luck and unintentional timing. The Jousting episode comes to mind.

But, in all seriousness, Biden won because he had a combination of a message that most Democrats were okay with, name recognition, and a coalescing of the field that Sanders straight up didn't plan for and reacted to way too late. If he wins in November, it'll likely be the same way: a fundamentally non-ideological message of "being better than this" and letting Trump be exhibit A for it.

Back on topic, I don't see him being removed as the nominee at this point. Even now the scandal at the heart of this thread is petering out in large part because the story has ran its course and there's not enough new details to keep running it when COVID-19 and other stories are choking the journalistic bandwidth right when pretty much every outlet is trying to deal with serious hits to revenues as what little advertising they have falls and people reconsider their subscriptions as part of their budgeting. the columnists and pundits have said their piece, most readers and watchers are disengaged from the topic, if not the news at all, and most have done the calculus that, all thing balanced out, Biden could have done it and worse and he would still be a preferable alternative to Trump. The party and the party base is pretty much behind him at this point. The nomination contest is over and we've clearly shifted to the general election.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I think you're confusing Biden with Dick Cheney... Who is somehow still alive by what I'm sure can only be described as full on necromancy at this point...

Biden is the hero Goofy is when he accidentally beats all his other opponents through sheer luck and unintentional timing. The Jousting episode comes to mind.

But, in all seriousness, Biden won because he had a combination of a message that most Democrats were okay with, name recognition, and a coalescing of the field that Sanders straight up didn't plan for and reacted to way too late. If he wins in November, it'll likely be the same way: a fundamentally non-ideological message of "being better than this" and letting Trump be exhibit A for it.

Back on topic, I don't see him being removed as the nominee at this point. Even now the scandal at the heart of this thread is petering out in large part because the story has ran its course and there's not enough new details to keep running it when COVID-19 and other stories are choking the journalistic bandwidth right when pretty much every outlet is trying to deal with serious hits to revenues as what little advertising they have falls and people reconsider their subscriptions as part of their budgeting. the columnists and pundits have said their piece, most readers and watchers are disengaged from the topic, if not the news at all, and most have done the calculus that, all thing balanced out, Biden could have done it and worse and he would still be a preferable alternative to Trump. The party and the party base is pretty much behind him at this point. The nomination contest is over and we've clearly shifted to the general election.
The story will come right back up before November and the strategy of "just being a generic Democrat to make this a referendum on Trump" is a terrible terrible strategy. I think the first whiff of this is the special election they just ran in California where a touted centrist Dem ran to replace a centrist Dem and got crushed by over 12 points. If you set yourself up as "voting against Republicans", then corporate Dems are not who you field.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The story will come right back up before November and the strategy of "just being a generic Democrat to make this a referendum on Trump" is a terrible terrible strategy. I think the first whiff of this is the special election they just ran in California where a touted centrist Dem ran to replace a centrist Dem and got crushed by over 12 points. If you set yourself up as "voting against Republicans", then corporate Dems are not who you field.
The thing is though even democrats such as Pelosi have proposed very progressive ideals such as basic income. Show me a republican that supports Basic Income.. Show me a republican that supports welfare expansion at all.. Oh yea that is the primary thing that republicans Unify around:

"Republicans, at both the state and federal levels, are largely unified around an agenda of cutting spending for programs such as Medicaid that are targeted at low-income people, defending Americans’ ability to own and purchase guns, limiting abortion, and reducing regulations and taxes on businesses. "

Democrats, in comparison, may bicker about how we go about solving these issues, but by large agree that we should expand Medicaid, and increase programs to help low income people. There is a huge difference between having outliers in the party that side with Republicans on support for the middle class and poor vs the entire party unifying around polices that directly crush the middle class and poor.

In the end, a conservative democrat is still a huge improvement over any Republican due to what the party platform represents.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
The thing is though even democrats such as Pelosi have proposed very progressive ideals such as basic income. Show me a republican that supports Basic Income.. Show me a republican that supports welfare expansion at all.. Oh yea that is the primary thing that republicans Unify around:

"Republicans, at both the state and federal levels, are largely unified around an agenda of cutting spending for programs such as Medicaid that are targeted at low-income people, defending Americans’ ability to own and purchase guns, limiting abortion, and reducing regulations and taxes on businesses. "

Democrats, in comparison, may bicker about how we go about solving these issues, but by large agree that we should expand Medicaid, and increase programs to help low income people. There is a huge difference between having outliers in the party that side with Republicans on support for the middle class and poor vs the entire party unifying around polices that directly crush the middle class and poor.

In the end, a conservative democrat is still a huge improvement over any Republican due to what the party platform represents.
I'm not going to do this again. This has been done to death.

Obama was a shit president. He made things worse all around. I'm not voting for corporate Dems because they don't help. And the Dems fielding corporate centrists and pretending that will get people out to vote in droves against Republicans does not work, it has not worked.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I'm not going to do this again. This has been done to death.

Obama was a shit president. He made things worse all around. I'm not voting for corporate Dems because they don't help. And the Dems fielding corporate centrists and pretending that will get people out to vote in droves against Republicans does not work, it has not worked.
Without winning the senate, we can do NOTHING. We have to flip republican seats to win the senate, as shown in the congressional thread here. That is the MOSt important thing we need to have happen in order to pass Bernie Sander's plans here.

Droves are not necessarily what is needed in republican districts to flip the seats. We need the Senate, that means we have to be able to flip seats from Republicans to Democrats. We can only shift those seats further left when the people in those regions agree with those ideals.

Republicans voted for a democrat to take Roy Moore's seat in ALABAMA of all places due to Roy Moore being a child rapist. Look at where he sits on the field of dots here:
He is almost a republican, and barely won the seat. Is likely to lose it this go around , he likely would not have won the seat at all if he were further left because the district he is trying to win is not. It has worked, even in the reddest of places, and FYI, when you look at the dots on that link above, you can plainly see that many you think are centrists are anything but when you actually look at them more closely. The dots are usually spread out pretty far there. Claiming they are because of something they said does not actually make them one.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Without winning the senate, we can do NOTHING. We have to flip republican seats to win the senate, as shown in the congressional thread here. That is the MOSt important thing we need to have happen in order to pass Bernie Sander's plans here.

Droves are not necessarily what is needed in republican districts to flip the seats. We need the Senate, that means we have to be able to flip seats from Republicans to Democrats. We can only shift those seats further left when the people in those regions agree with those ideals.

Republicans voted for a democrat to take Roy Moore's seat in ALABAMA of all places due to Roy Moore being a child rapist. Look at where he sits on the field of dots here:
He is almost a republican, and barely won the seat. Is likely to lose it this go around , he likely would not have won the seat at all if he were further left because the district he is trying to win is not. It has worked, even in the reddest of places, and FYI, when you look at the dots on that link above, you can plainly see that many you think are centrists are anything but when you actually look at them more closely. The dots are usually spread out pretty far there. Claiming they are because of something they said does not actually make them one.
It won't work. Fielding right wing candidates to appeal to right wing voters when you're not the right wing party (ostensibly) does not work. Further, winning with right wing candidates gets you right wing policies. I don't see how this is different from 2008.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
It won't work. Fielding right wing candidates to appeal to right wing voters when you're not the right wing party (ostensibly) does not work. Further, winning with right wing candidates gets you right wing policies. I don't see how this is different from 2008.
First of all, none of the Democrat candidates are really even right wing, if you look at the Ideology leadership charts. Claiming they are does not suddenly put their dots over there with Tom Cotton and Ted Cruz. . What is your proposal to get the senate seats flipped so we can pass anything then if you think we can flip the needed seats by not appealing to voters in those regions?
Researching the regions is how we have flipped these seats int he past, and without them, we have no hope of being able to do anything, at all. Wanting people to believe the same thing you do does not make it reality. The problem is it doesn't matter if the majority of Americans want Medicare for all, unless they move to the districts we need to flip to win the majority of districts, their votes won't matter. Hell even Hillary won the popular vote by almost 2.9 million votes, but because she did not win enough rural districts, she lost the election.

Neither Hillary or Biden are over there with Cruz, Cornyn, or Graham..
They are not even centrists as far as the current Republican party is concerned, look at how heavy the republican party is weighted to the right these days:
They are not even close to the " centrists" really.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
The American politic is right wing. Like all of it. Outside of a few very obscure names who are basically never in government. But even within the confines of American politics, the DNC is to the right of the average American, and you can't convince me that voting for right wing candidates will result in left wing policies in spite of years of history showing otherwise. Even on it's face it's a silly supposition.

Even now, this very day, Pelosi's big plan to help America is maybe one more round of single checks to the people and a big fat bailout of corporations. The DNC is not being a left wing party right now while they're trying to tell you that they are. It's ridiculous.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The American politic is right wing. Like all of it. Outside of a few very obscure names who are basically never in government. But even within the confines of American politics, the DNC is to the right of the average American, and you can't convince me that voting for right wing candidates will result in left wing policies in spite of years of history showing otherwise. Even on it's face it's a silly supposition.

Even now, this very day, Pelosi's big plan to help America is maybe one more round of single checks to the people and a big fat bailout of corporations. The DNC is not being a left wing party right now while they're trying to tell you that they are. It's ridiculous.
Sometimes I really have to wonder where you get your news.
Pelosi proposal would ban corporations receiving coronavirus aid from lobbying

You also do remember Pelosi being relentlessly ridiculed by Republicans for her Basic income proposals when she was talking about musicians artists being able to pursue their arts back when Obama was running don't you? She only dropped it back then due to the backlash at the time.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Sometimes I really have to wonder where you get your news.
Pelosi proposal would ban corporations receiving coronavirus aid from lobbying

You also do remember Pelosi being relentlessly ridiculed by Republicans for her Basic income proposals when she was talking about musicians artists being able to pursue their arts back when Obama was running don't you? She only dropped it back then due to the backlash at the time.

It's a giant corporate buffet with some tiny inconveniences to make it look like not-a-giant-corporate-buffet.

This is why, if you look at what the Democrats do historically instead of just their contextless voting record, you would see they aren't your friend.

By the way, thanks for brushing off my piles of sources by saying "that's in the past and doesn't matter", only to turn around and spam old voting records at me.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The DNC is not being a left wing party right now while they're trying to tell you that they are. It's ridiculous.
Indeed, it's not, partly because the DNC isn't a Party at all. The Democratic Party, of course, consists of the DNC as well as countless other factions, including the Sanders campaign (and his delegates), AOC, Warren, various others further to the Left as well.

But, yes, the point that the Democratic Party generally is right-of-centre is a valid one. I'm uncertain how you expect rewarding the Republican Party to convince anybody that right-wing policies are bad, though.