Will Metro going to be Greatest Trilogy in the history of Gaming?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
No.

Now that we've got the obvious out of the way. Perhaps a better question would be does gaming have any great trilogies in general. Trilogies are tricky things. Almost invariably you get stuck with middle filler or you get disappointing endings. Its only made worse in games which have a exponentially longer amount of time to fill up in each installment to try and keep things a pace for that long

Feb 7, 2016
I used to adore the Metro series. I owned the books. The games. I've replayed them multiple times.

Now I literally can only think of B-Cell fanboying over an unreleased game.

I can't fathom how you can praise the first two Metro games with a straight face, when they are the most linear, story-less games I've ever played. You get a little bit of voiceover between loading screens, and some really basic, flat writing from characters. About as much story as in...let's say...Far Cry 5 BUT WAIT. FAR CRY 5 BORING, MY FRIEND. FAR CRY 5 HAVE BAD CHARTERS AND VILANS.

I'll admit, your threads give me something to do for a few minutes.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
distortedreality said:
I?m finding it hard to really lock onto a trilogy that had at least one instalment released sometime in the past decade that managed to hold a consistent high quality across all three instalments....
Batman Arkham series

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
distortedreality said:
I?m finding it hard to really lock onto a trilogy that had at least one instalment released sometime in the past decade that managed to hold a consistent high quality across all three instalments....
I'd say Gears of War even though it was almost 12 years ago the first game came out.

Before this gen we could see a trilogy/3 games getting released in less than a generation, this gen we're lucky if a series gets past 1 game.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
To you I must confess
Metro 1 game is the best
Metro 3 have yet to test
Metro 2 is a wobbled jest

So this trilogy you bless
Or unconditionally molest
With glee and childish zest
May be a tricky guest

Sincerely, a nested messed up fluff from west pressed for avoiding rest lest be hunted to be vest for human chest

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
dscross said:
distortedreality said:
Batman Arkham series
Arkham Knight? I didn't hate that game but I didn't think was anywhere near as good as the first two. In fact, I'd say Mass Effect was a better trilogy because it was only the ending that was screwed up.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
trunkage said:
dscross said:
distortedreality said:
Batman Arkham series
Arkham Knight? I didn't hate that game but I didn't think was anywhere near as good as the first two. In fact, I'd say Mass Effect was a better trilogy because it was only the ending that was screwed up.
I LOVE Arkham Knight just as much, if not more, than the other two so I'll need to disagree.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
No way. I liked the first two games, but there was never a moment that i thought to myself that this is the best thing that i have ever played. I didn't even enjoy the first game enough to finish it, not until the redux version came out and i gave it another chance.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
dscross said:
distortedreality said:
Batman Arkham series
Arkham was fun, but the writing was flat out amateurish at times. Borrowing from an old post of mine on the subject of Arkham City:

Mr. Freeze knows exactly what compound he needs but is unable to synthesize it (alright)...Batman recognizes its chemical model at a glance (what.) as belonging to the Lazarus pit. Oracle does much the same and both reference a long history with both Ra's and Talia Al Ghoul...both of whom confirm it (hell, Ra's still wants Batman as heir to the League of Shadows)...and then after the confrontation with Ra's, Batman gives Oracle a crash course in Ra's Al Ghoul and the Lazarus Pit as if neither of them had known anything about those things before the events of this game.

It was critically important that the Joker not be allowed to use the Lazarus pit because it could make him immortal and thus unstoppable! ...When it doesn't work like that...at all. Even the game itself made it explicit that it healed and rejuvenated rather than granting true immortality or invincibility. Ra's could certainly attest to that...if it wasn't for the fact that he was suffering another severe case of deadness by that point in the game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Since this has been the game of "best game trilogy," I guess I can nominate the following in the scope of personal experience:

-Classic Crash Bandicoot (Crash 1-3)
-Gears of War original trilogy
-Halo original trilogy
-Sonic the Hedgehog 'Death Egg trilogy' (STH2, STH3, S&K)
-StarCraft II Trilogy

If I had to nominate a personal favorite, it would either be Halo, StarCraft, or maybe Sonic. I guess technically Halo because that easily extends into a quadrilogy with Halo: Reach, keeping the same quality, whereas an SC2 quadrilogy is dragged down by Nova Covert Ops.

Course, entirely subjective.

Xsjadoblayde said:
To you I must confess
Metro 1 game is the best
Metro 3 have yet to test
Metro 2 is a wobbled jest

So this trilogy you bless
Or unconditionally molest
With glee and childish zest
May be a tricky guest
To this I say, do not despair,
You may just be a silly bear,
But at your poem, while I stare,
Your skill, it caught me unaware.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
I think Warcraft can be lauded as the overall best trilogy in gaming by a wide variety though.
Warcraft I drags it down. A lot. WC2 was reasonably fun, WC3 was really fun, WC1 is lacking in both gameplay and story. Also doesn't help that while Reign of Chaos could concievably cap out the overall story, Frozen Throne is very much a "to be continued").

dscross said:
There have been too many better ones mate. Warcraft,
See above.

Classic Sonic,
Isn't that like a quadrilogy? STH1, 2, 3, S&K. I lump STH3&K together, but narratively, I'd say they're distinct.

Classic Resident Evil
Maybe. You could call RE1-3 something like "the Raccoon City Trilogy," but from a story perspective, it doesn't really close out its narrative (unlike, say, Sonic, which as thin as the narrative was, could be said to have reached a final conclusion with the Death Egg being destroyed).

Also, RE1 drags it down. A lot (unless you repalce it with REmake, then its quality is elevated significantly).

Mortal Kombat,
Maybe.

Mass Effect.
Probably.

Poetic Nova said:
I'm gonna say no.

Instead I'm gonna say Machine Games' Wolfenstein, as they have yet to make a bad Wolf game imo.
Isn't that a duology? (unless you include New Blood)

Silentpony said:
Hell even with Dawn of War 3 its a better trilogy than Metro.
Didn't you (and a lot of other fans) dislike DoW 3? Like, really, REALLY dislike it?

I'm also dubious of calling DoW a trilogy, considering the no. of expansion packs, and the lack of (as far as I can tell) really any central narrative, but TBH, I stopped playing at Dark Crusade, so can't comment too much.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Trying to think of trilogies that might fit that accolade now.

Closest I can think of is either Mario or Just Cause. And to be fair JC1 was a bit barebones, even if it was huge and pretty.

GTA 1-3 are pretty great too when you think about it, as are 3-San Andreas.

If only Free Radical got to release Star Wars Battlefront 3. Or Timesplitters 4. Either of those would have capped off a great trilogy.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
For my own part, Id throw in the second Ultima Trilogy (The "Avatar Trilogy" of 4-6) or Heroes of Might & Magic (though that has the Warcraft issue of the first one being kind of the early prototype and rough around the edges)

Hawki said:
-StarCraft II Trilogy
Traditionaly, expansion packs wouldn't make a trilogy.

Squilookle said:
Closest I can think of is either Mario.

GTA 1-3 are pretty great too when you think about it, as are 3-San Andreas.
Mario what? The first 3? Cause Mario 2 isn't even an actual Mario game.

GTA is a series, but not a trilogy, notably. There's no through connection (similar to Final Fantasy). Which might also apply to Mario (though that at least keeps the same characters and such).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Seth Carter said:
Traditionaly, expansion packs wouldn't make a trilogy.
They wouldn't, but we're all picking and choosing what constitutes a trilogy, and it was called "the StarCraft II Trilogy" from the moment it was announced as such.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
"Will Metro going to be greatest trilogy..."

Engrish is strong..

OT: While they are good games, they aren't ever really great...

They have great moments, sure, but nothing is done any better than other game series...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ezekiel said:
My favorite is Metal Gear Solid. Metro was too scripted, linear and dull for me to ever play more than two hours.
Which 3 games are you counting as a Trilogy here? The first 3(MG,MG2,MGS), MGS1-3, or MGS4-MGS:pW-MGSV?

Or are you just saying MGS is an awesome game?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
I did. I absolutely despised Dawn of War 3. Its everything I hate about gaming right now - trend following. Taking any random IP and just forcing it into the mold of whatever game is popular at the time of development, so at launch its just another wet fart in a room filled with other wet farts.
If they announced DW3 this week, at release it'd be a battle royale meme game.

but to the metro question, I maintane even with DW3 plague ridden corpse shambling along begging for death, the dawn of war trilogy stands firmly on dawn of war and dawn of war 2, high enough to be collectively better than the fist three metro games.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Hawki said:
Poetic Nova said:
I'm gonna say no.

Instead I'm gonna say Machine Games' Wolfenstein, as they have yet to make a bad Wolf game imo.
I included The Old Blood, even if it may be cheating a little as it is a stand alone expansion to The New Order.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Poetic Nova said:
Hawki said:
Poetic Nova said:
I'm gonna say no.

I included The Old Blood, even if it may be cheating a little as it is a stand alone expansion to The New Order.

machinegames wolfenstein games are awful imo. RTCW was masterpiece. and its shame machinegames dont know what make wolfenstien great.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Dalisclock said:
Ezekiel said:
My favorite is Metal Gear Solid. Metro was too scripted, linear and dull for me to ever play more than two hours.
Which 3 games are you counting as a Trilogy here? The first 3(MG,MG2,MGS), MGS1-3, or MGS4-MGS:pW-MGSV?

Or are you just saying MGS is an awesome game?
I'd say MGS1-3 keeps a pretty consistent quality with 3 being the best one.

OT: Metro is fun but it's not anything amazing, I bought Metro 2033 at launch but didn't finish it until the redux version 3-4 years later. Last Light was an improvement but the games still have that b-game feeling with a pretty atrocious sound design, wonky animations and sub-par voice acting.