Will Microsoft survive to make another console?

Nov 12, 2010
You needed to ask that question?
No,they've got Halo,they've got Battlefield,they've got Call of Duty whether I like the last one or not,and frankly,Kinect is starting to bud out in coolness levels.
Yes,how can you ask that they die?

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
Vykrel said:
and i cant think of a single game that Nintendo has in the works that doesnt have anything to do with Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon, or any other Nintendo-owned series that has been around for over 12-20 something years.
Nintendo has more than Sony and Microsoft combined it's just the lot of it is really old and needs to be revived.
Did you honestly know who Icarus was before brawl or Ness before smash brothers.
They are MUCH older than that.
The NES alone has 799 games I doubt that the majority of people know the potential of solid AA to AAA games that sleeps waiting to be revived.
oh believe me, i fully understand the need for revivals when it comes to certain game series... but dude, they keep reviving the same series over and over and OVER again.

Kid Icarus 3DS & Star Fox 3DS = good ideas

Super Mario Bros. 3DS = unnecessary

The Epicosity

Mar 19, 2011
Sorry, Microsoft going out of business?
Hahahaha! (Sorry for my laughing, can't help it.)

For one thing, a lot of their money is probably made off of PC & etc., not gaming.

Another, Halo isn't getting old anytime soon, as far as I can see, and the new kinect releases are urging new people that normally wouldn't game and some hardcore gamers to get it (Ryse looks amazing!)
I can't think of other reasons right now, but I know Microsoft is not going anywhere soon.

Kevon Huggins

Jan 27, 2011
hmmm I sense a fanboy in the force
Of coarse not they did bad at e3 but to say they are just gonna act like a kid and cry and just stop No. They like money they built + a loyal fanbase hmm what do you think

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
If anyone should be worried about a game company dying off it should be Playstation because their entire network was taken down for like a month and who's stopping someone else from doing the same thing. Everyone has an off year or two. Microsoft and 360 gaming will be juuust fine.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
SeaCalMaster said:
Vykrel said:
you know the Xbox 360 is the only home console ever to have increasing sales during every year of its existence, and that the Kinect, despite being fucking ridiculous and kiddie, has sold over 10 million units already... i dont think i even need to mention the fact that they just announced that Halo, their flagship series, is getting a whole new trilogy (not to mention an HD version of the first game).

i think MS will be just fine.

although i know there is no need to worry about any of the big 3, Nintendo seems to be in the worst shape (imo). all theyve been doing for the past 5 or so years is regurgitate the same game series year after year after year.

last couple of years: hey were going to come out with remakes/reboots of Super Mario, Donkey Kong, and even Kirby for the Wii!

now: hey, were going to do the same exact thing weve been doing for the past couple of years, but with the 3DS!

seriously, i bet would most people would be hard-pressed to be able to come up with just one or two NEW game series' for the Wii that managed to gain enough popularity for at least one sequel. all i can come up with is like De Blob...

and i cant think of a single game that Nintendo has in the works that doesnt have anything to do with Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox, Pokemon, or any other Nintendo-owned series that has been around for over 12-20 something years.
No More Heroes
The Conduit
Red Steel (kind of crap, but still)
Wii Sports, etc.
Pikmin
Luigi's Mansion
Fire Emblem (internationally, at least)
Golden Sun

That's just off the top of my head. The problem with saying that Nintendo's in bad shape is that it's not a subjective statement. They're leading the market right now in both home consoles and handhelds, so it is objectively wrong to say that they're in the worst shape.

OT: Microsoft managed to make a console add-on successful. You really think they can't stay around? If anyone is going to leave, it's Sony; they're managing to be in third despite having brand loyalty in Europe and the Xbox 360's sub-par sales in Japan.
i was actually talking about Wii games. Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion are Gamecube, right? and lets just not count Wii Sports, because thats just not very original of them. but the rest, yyoure right... its just still not very much, and honestly, there isnt a single game there that i was interested in playing. then again, im a hardcore gamer. The Conduit and Red Steel 2 looked okay to me, but i dont like motion control.

and Nintendo may have the highest number of console sales, but their sales have been dropping, and after E3, their stock showed a dramatic decrease (probably due to the disappointing announcement of Wii U, rather than a new HD version of the Wii)

as for Sony, you can at least tell that they give a shit in general. sure, they came out with their own gimmicky motion control device, but theyve also been coming out with the hardcore titles that their true fans have always wanted. Microsoft has also been doing this (maybe not as much recently, due to how much theyve been focusing on Kinect), but Nintendo is the only one that has ONLY been doing casual/kid-friendly games, with the exception of just a select few titles... and even those titles force the player to use motion controls, which doesnt appeal to everyone. this, in my opinion, puts Nintendo in last place because they are the only one of the Big 3 that ONLY makes games. Microsoft has Windows, Sony has all kinds of appliances, but Nintendo just has their game consoles and games, and they arent doing every thing they can to keep their business thriving. theyve only survived thusfar due to the fact that so many fucking people are only casual gamers. thats changing now, and a lot of those people are getting into all sorts of games now, you know? Nintendo just doesnt have those other sorts of games.

tl;dr :p

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
It seems to me like they might be losing momentum as of late, but I think they'll make it to the next generation.

But who knows when that'll be? A lot can happen before then.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
If the Xbox sector of Microsoft crashed, it would literally mean the end of my interest in console videogames. I don't buy anything from any other company (okay I bought Pokemon Black for the DS I've had for a thousand years, stop looking in my room from the internet)
To me, Xbox has struck the greatest balance between diverse, substantial titles and hardware and software capabilities. I don't give a damn about Wii or its titles, and Sony just cannot work my interest up hard enough to buy their system. Its as if Sony is stuck being pulled in two different directions, and the indecisiveness is a major repellent of my money.

The Epicosity

Mar 19, 2011
I think people comparing MS to Sega or even to Sony is not a correct comparison, Sega being a game-only developer (I think?) and Sony doing other things but not having something as large as Windows. It should stay in the race for at least as long as Nintendo, unless they do it for a reason that is not financial.

Warmoose

May 21, 2011
TheTurtleMan said:
If anyone should be worried about a game company dying off it should be Playstation because their entire network was taken down for like a month and who's stopping someone else from doing the same thing. Everyone has an off year or two. Microsoft and 360 gaming will be juuust fine.
For some reason, people keep on saying that the electronic super-giant, who has done huge things in the gaming business(if not this generation then at the very least the last two) is going to die off, or do terribly. Does anyone remember the days of the PS2 when (although there was some third party shit) there were quite a few exclusive titles on it. So I think the next Playstation could turn Sony's console into the best of the three.

On Nintendo's side, although they do usually do things a bit differently than everyone else, they usually come out striding with a bigger fanbase than Microsoft and Sony combined, the only thing that might bring them farther down is if they completely throw out everything hardcore.

Over to Microsoft, their lineup at E3 however a little mediocre did show some innovation, and started putting their voice recognition software to good use. As many have already said in this forum, Microsoft is still alive and doing well.

P.S. I do own a Xbox 360 and a Wii, so I may be a bit biased against Sony.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
No, they will not. There will be a sequel to the 360. Or hell, there may be a "xbox pc" that they make which would be neat. But the xbox brand is much too strong to die. Yeah, they were unimpressive this year, but they still have a great online service... which they can't seem to get to work on pc...

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Vykrel said:
GrimHeaper said:
Vykrel said:
Nintendo has more than Sony and Microsoft combined it's just the lot of it is really old and needs to be revived.
Did you honestly know who Icarus was before brawl or Ness before smash brothers.
They are MUCH older than that.
The NES alone has 799 games I doubt that the majority of people know the potential of solid AA to AAA games that sleeps waiting to be revived.
oh believe me, i fully understand the need for revivals when it comes to certain game series... but dude, they keep reviving the same series over and over and OVER again.

Kid Icarus 3DS & Star Fox 3DS = good ideas

Super Mario Bros. 3DS = unnecessary
Someone needs to rally a group and just tell them really(I don't mean complain and scream at them, just tell them). I mean some of those NES games are still great even today.
They could have done something like this with 3ds mario brothers
http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Nice edit, OP. I really did think you meant it until I read it. Remember, we don't know you and this is the internet, so never assume the people you're talking to understand your intelligence level. Quite a few escapists don't even understand irony (though they'll argue it ad nauseum).

Microsoft has the resources and currently offers the best overall system of this generation. It is extremely premature to say that they will leave the market. It's a 3 horse race and definitely will be in the next generation as well. I think it will for the next 2 or 3, at least.

If they don't have the bricking problems that they had earlier on in this gen, and if they either integrate what they're trying to do with Kinect into the out-of-box console or come up with a cheaper alternative, they're practically guaranteed to do well in the next generation. I mean, Hell, only Nintendo really knows how to alienate 3rd parties :p

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
It's been said before in other posts, but Microsoft is just too big of a company. It's a recognizable brand, the XBOX has become a pop culture staple, and there's a very established core fanbase. Plus, Nintendo and Sony have a lot of fun new products, but they are gimmicky (3DS) or problematic (PSN). The XBOX has been a powerful console in the past (and today) and being a little mediocre right now isn't going to change that. Just wait: once the new console is announced, things will be as they once were.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
they'll be fine, as long as they don't rely on the kinect stuff, yes they wanted to show it off at E3 because it's what they have that is cool and new and that's what E3 is for. There are still plenty of other games coming out that will be holding the customer base.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Vykrel said:
i was actually talking about Wii games. Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion are Gamecube, right? and lets just not count Wii Sports, because thats just not very original of them. but the rest, yyoure right... its just still not very much, and honestly, there isnt a single game there that i was interested in playing. then again, im a hardcore gamer. The Conduit and Red Steel 2 looked okay to me, but i dont like motion control.

and Nintendo may have the highest number of console sales, but their sales have been dropping, and after E3, their stock showed a dramatic decrease (probably due to the disappointing announcement of Wii U, rather than a new HD version of the Wii)

as for Sony, you can at least tell that they give a shit in general. sure, they came out with their own gimmicky motion control device, but theyve also been coming out with the hardcore titles that their true fans have always wanted. Microsoft has also been doing this (maybe not as much recently, due to how much theyve been focusing on Kinect), but Nintendo is the only one that has ONLY been doing casual/kid-friendly games, with the exception of just a select few titles... and even those titles force the player to use motion controls, which doesnt appeal to everyone. this, in my opinion, puts Nintendo in last place because they are the only one of the Big 3 that ONLY makes games. Microsoft has Windows, Sony has all kinds of appliances, but Nintendo just has their game consoles and games, and they arent doing every thing they can to keep their business thriving. theyve only survived thusfar due to the fact that so many fucking people are only casual gamers. thats changing now, and a lot of those people are getting into all sorts of games now, you know? Nintendo just doesnt have those other sorts of games.

tl;dr :p
Both Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin have sequels in the works.
I'm curious as to why you think Wii Sports isn't very original. Of all the criticisms you could level at it, that's the one that makes the least sense. I can tell you have an issue with the game because it's "casual." While we're on that point, I've got some questions for you: What does "hardcore" mean, exactly, for games and for gamers? Is there a hard-and-fast distinction? (Bonus points if you can come up with a meaningful definition that doesn't include Twilight Princess or Corruption, for example.) Do you think that a "casual" gamer can become a "hardcore" gamer?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion about the relative quality of the companies' offerings. In case you hadn't noticed, though, this thread is about predicting those companies' relative successes in the next generation of consoles. In that context, stating that Nintendo is in the weakest position because you don't like their games is rather disingenuous.

P.S. In case you hadn't worked this out yet, Wii U is the HD-upgraded Wii. It's an actual new console.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
captainordo said:
Megacherv said:
Kopikatsu said:
I don't think they'll die out...it's extremely difficult for such a large company to collapse.

Their E3 showing was rather uninspiring, though.

...Although, I do kind of wish Xbox Live Gold was free, but hey, pigs will fly, amiright? I wonder if Microsoft would become more popular overall if they did make it a free service.
If not free, at least cheaper

UltraHammer said:
And for that matter, will there be a PS4? Well maybe not. Not if all these bad things continue happening to Sony.
You mean the one hack on PSN? Has that happened about 5 times and I've simply been on a coma?
I think that he ment the multiple attacks on sections of Sony and the Earth Quake in Japan that did some damage to their profits.

OT- I MS will make another console because they are still making money on the software sales, and even though they don't have as many exclusives, many multiplatform titles are played much more on the Xbox.
The thing is that they're attacks on Sony in general, some parts of it that are completely separate to SCE

pyrrhic victory

Jun 9, 2011
Vykrel said:
It's sad that some actual innovation caused stock decrease, and that a simple graphical upgrade would have likely resulted in stock increase.

Vykrel said:
this, in my opinion, puts Nintendo in last place because they are the only one of the Big 3 that ONLY makes games. Microsoft has Windows, Sony has all kinds of appliances, but Nintendo just has their game consoles and games
The original topic of this thread is moot. If anyone is in trouble, it's Nintendo.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
It's nice to see console gamers stop screaming into my ears about PC gaming dying for a while and instead being prophetical about each others' apparent doom-laden futures.

Carry on.