Will the disaster in Japan affect the anime and manga industries?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
If you are worried about their livelihood, you shouldn't have limited the discussion to anime. There are too many people out there who care more for what they perceive to be the finest Japan has, and ignore the rest.

A better discussion topic would have been to talk about how the Japanese industries as a whole are going to be affected. The country relies heavily on exports, and without the means to produce or ship everything they make, the country's economy could collapse.
Yeah. That's what I was trying to say. Unfortunately I couldn't find the right words to describe what I wanted to say for some reason. This is a pretty delicate issue to handle so I got a little nervous.

Once again, I apologize to anyone I offended. My heart goes out to Japan.

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
My honest guess on the japanese entertainment industry is that it's going to take a serious blow for a while.
The main market that is. I still think that the doujin/indie scene of mangas is going to be roughly what it is now, since we're talking self-published and sold at conventions(primarily).
But the bigger publishers, the animation-companies and the production-companies for movies and television are most likely going to see some budget-cuts over a few months upto perhaps a few years.
However once the country finds it's feet again, people are going to want something else to think about.
That's where the entertainment-industry comes in and that's when we'll start seeing them really get on their feet again.
For now... Be patient.

That's my take atleast. Because I felt a serious answer was needed.

kokoban83

Sep 12, 2009
Absolutely it already has. One of my favorite animes One Piece has already been affected. The episode that comes out every week like clock work was canceled at least for this week. I stream my anime from the web subbed and this week it was not on but that is to be expected. They I'm sure had more important things to worry about like an earthquakes and tsunamis.

As for long term no one can say truly until all survives found and assessment of the damage from the earthquake is taken, buildings will need to be repaired and that will definitely take time. On the bright side Japan has a large voice actor network and if unfortunately one person should pass on then they can probably find someone with similar voice to take over the role, but lets hope no ones passed on for them and us.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Eldarion said:
I hate to admit thats the first thing I thought about when I heard about the quakes.

I feel really bad about it. I gave money to the red cross to help out.
There is nothing wrong with worrying about the fate of a source of your entertainment.

There IS something wrong with ONLY worrying about that. As long as you don't forget that there are people suffering there, you've nothing to be ashamed of.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Eldarion said:
I hate to admit thats the first thing I thought about when I heard about the quakes.

I feel really bad about it. I gave money to the red cross to help out.
There is nothing wrong with worrying about the fate of a source of your entertainment.

There IS something wrong with ONLY worrying about that. As long as you don't forget that there are people suffering there, you've nothing to be ashamed of.
I'm also getting into lolita fashion and this will probably affect my shopping. Both because the places I shop online might have been hit and because I'm putting part of my paycheck into charity trying to help the disaster victims.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Far from me to say it (I think someone else has mentioned it, actually), but I think the Japanese economy has bigger fish to fry than anime & manga (even though I like the media).

Let's not forget that a certain portion of the country has neither power... nor much that would need the power any more, so anime is probably the last of their problems right now.

Having said that:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10704
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Magnitude_8.0

This was an anime that was produced a couple of years ago that I found difficult to watch but considered brilliant anyway.
god that anime was the first thing to come to mind when i heard about this tragedy and second was about the lives lost and only then was i thinking about the economic disaster that has just been brought to the Japanese people who were all ready suffering from a recession

SenorNemo

Mar 14, 2011
I'm nigh certain the OP didn't mean to say that this was a priority - there really are much much much - more pressing issues, but it is an interesting question.

For the sake of actually contributing to said discussion, I believe this was discussed in the recent ANNcast special, about how it's a good possibility a lot of workload will be outsourced to Korea. There's the potential for this to be a permanent shift, depending on how things go, so the answer is that it's already affected the industry, but only time will tell what and to what degree the effects will be.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Anime and manga is cool 'n all, but I'm more worried about that possible nuclear meltdown that Japan is facing along with the thousands of deaths and the 150 billion dollars in damages.
Yeah, prettymuch this. I'm sick and tired of all these weaboos making a fuss only because it's Japan and it affects their anime and pocky desu. When other disasters happen, not nearly as much buzz gets generated...

There are people getting killed. Your Hetalia manga schedule is the least of anyone's concerns.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
AetherWolf said:
Casual Shinji said:
Anime and manga is cool 'n all, but I'm more worried about that possible nuclear meltdown that Japan is facing along with the thousands of deaths and the 150 billion dollars in damages.
Yeah, prettymuch this. I'm sick and tired of all these weaboos making a fuss only because it's Japan and it affects their anime and pocky desu. When other disasters happen, not nearly as much buzz gets generated...

There are people getting killed. Your Hetalia manga schedule is the least of anyone's concerns.
Where the fuck did he state that this was a priority? get of your fucking high horse.

Canatrix

Feb 10, 2011
I... what? Really? This was a concern? =/ I hate to say it but they'll restabilize the manga industry when they get around to it; that and we may see some manga inspired by the tsunami coming.

Other then that... let them recover before we go asking for our Summer 2011 releases.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
AetherWolf said:
Casual Shinji said:

No one is saying that the impending disaster isn't at the front of everyones thoughts. I cried when I saw the first stories on the news. No one here thinks this isn't terrible.

But its fine to be a little worried about your hobbies. Thats all this thread is for. No one needs your internet tough guy bullshit. You post was unnecessarily rude and hateful. I just spent like 80$ on a lolita dress on a sale where 100% of the profit goes to help the earthquake victims. I hope that insulting me and everyone else who posted here made you feel better.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
My apoligies. I didn't mean to target anyone in particular, but rather the internet's general reaction to the quakes.

Light 086

Feb 10, 2011
ThongBonerstorm said:
Ya, it really would be great if the Auto Industry got wiped out. It would really mean good things for people around here.
How so? Toyota has made several factories in North America, while Ford has made several in Mexico and some in Vietnam (building the body frame for pick up trucks). Seems to be bad if it got wiped out.

Before you jump down my throat; the above is fact. I have worked in both places as a student (Chrysler and Toyota), and my step-dad and his family also work in the automotive industry. The 'Big Three' fucked themselves and us into the situation, not foreign companies.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I'm sure every industry is affected, though I don't give a shit. I'd live quite happily in a world without the contributions of the Japanese cartoon industry. I'm more concerned with the people receiving basic amenities and shelter.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
Far from me to say it (I think someone else has mentioned it, actually), but I think the Japanese economy has bigger fish to fry than anime & manga (even though I like the media).

Let's not forget that a certain portion of the country has neither power... nor much that would need the power any more, so anime is probably the last of their problems right now.

Having said that:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10704
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Magnitude_8.0

This was an anime that was produced a couple of years ago that I found difficult to watch but considered brilliant anyway.
FFFFFFFUUUUUU

Just started watching it and I'm already on episode 3
It's sad to watch now though :(

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
hem dazon 90 said:
No and how is this your primary concern?
Maybe because its not the primary concern, its a concern, but not the primary one. Where did anyone say that this was more important then the lives which were lost, or the nuclear plant, or the huge amounts of damage? I certainly haven't seen anyone say that and if they do then sure those select people are wrong. This is, however, a concern, manga, video games, and anime shape a large part of our entertainment base, I would think someone who is posting on a gaming site wouldn't see entertainment and the arts as something that doesn't even deserve to be addressed in times of crisis...
I would be a liar if I said I wasn't worried about the idea of never getting to see the end of bleach, thats not saying I don't care about all the other issues, its just saying that this is an issue which directly effects me, where as I myself will probably only become involved with the tsunami and huge loss of lives very mildly. Its my medium of identifying with the people who are suffering over there, my way of seeing the reality behind it, otherwise it might as well be the same to me as saying, tens of thousand of people died of the black plague.
Sure, art and leisurely things shouldn't be a top concern but that doesn't mean they should be ignored, I mean after all, the loss of the great artists of japan effects us all. Also, posing the question about how this will affect the entertainment industries of Japan does the overall effort no harm what so ever, I see no reason for people to be coming to this thread simply to state "I have nothing to do with those industries so I don't care" and then trying to give themselves some sort of morale high ground by pointing out how they care more about the 'bigger issues' I would like to address this bit to you, stop trolling -_-
Actually if you had bothered to read someone of the posts before yours you would see that he clearly stated that this WASN'T his biggest concern.

Now, on topic, I have no idea how this will effect the industries that write up and give life to my favorite characters however, I am rather interested in how it will, anyone have any ideas?

ThongBonerstorm

Feb 22, 2010
Light 086 said:
Before you jump down my throat; the above is fact. I have worked in both places as a student (Chrysler and Toyota), and my step-dad and his family also work in the automotive industry. The 'Big Three' fucked themselves and us into the situation, not foreign companies.
No worries mate, I too have many family members in the Big Three, and the economy of the area i live in is dominated by them, so it doesn't overly matter about where it comes from, but any boost is nice. and for those two factories abroad, there are 10 times as many locally. The pick up in production will surely funnel around.

CannibalRobots said:
You disgust me, people are dying, and you're saying, "Oh good, now people with terrible work ethic can make cars now!"

The Japanese auto industry is driven by hard work and quality product, quite the opposite of the American auto industry, we're bailing out the American companies for a damn good reason, the competition caught up, while they made the same old shit over and over again.
Now to Mr. Troll. The Asian auto industry does not succeed because they work hard and produce quality products, the succeed because they cut corners and exploit workers for pennies a day, all while in work conditions that would make Auschwitz look like daycare.

And i also never said anything about people dieing, only seeing some good in a few empty buildings being washed away.