Will this rig run games well?

darthxaos

Feb 24, 2015
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-FX-4-Core-Configurator/W/256051

I don't need the prettiest graphics, just need the games to run good.

(inb4 build your own, I don't have the time or the skills)

Games I play:

Planetside 2
Warframe
Smite
Team Fortress 2
probably GTA V when it goes on a big sale

Sep 14, 2009
the cpu is fine, and most of the build is fine, but the graphics card is definitely on the weak side, if you're doing that prebuild I would highly recommend beefing it up to a gtx 750 ti model if you can (67 dollars more, but I feel the performance gain will be worth it.)

it's been a while since I've used any of those computer parts as references though and I don't play 4/5 games you listed, so perhaps wait for another opinion.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The graphics card and CPU are on the weak side, and you could stand to get more ram, ram is cheap as hell.

darthxaos

Feb 24, 2015
also I have a Radeon HD 6850 in my old computer that died? /not worth trying to salvage?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Spend more on the GPU and less on other nonsense like water cooling, unless you are overclocking that shit is a waste. I would say at least Radeon 270(or 270x preferable) because games rely far more on graphics power then anything else. You might also take the list of your components and look at other places, I have found most of these parts come cheaper on amazon.

And dear fucking god that site is spammy, every single corner is stuffed with some slimy deal they want you to look at.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Browsing through that site gave me cancer. What a fucking disgusting layout. You're welcome. The things I do for you people!

OT: Agreed on the GPU. It needs a bit of a buff. 750 TI or 270/270x will do fine. The CPU is alright, though nothing spectacular, but it'll run for sure. In terms of ram, you're fine. Scrap the water cooling. That stuff is for things like 5th gen 8 core Intels with dual 980s and stuff (Exaggerating, relax). Even my computer doesn't really need it. Besides, water cooling is risky if not done properly, and I'll never trust it because of that.

Besides that, decent stuff. Can get a pretty neat rig for less than $800, so, no issues there! (GTA V though... Yeeaahh, might need much more power on that one if you wanna hit the Highs~)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
darthxaos said:
also I have a Radeon HD 6850 in my old computer that died? /not worth trying to salvage?
The 6850 is marginally better than the 250X that is in the build, but I still would think about getting something beefier, and if it is dead, then there isn't all that much that can be done.

As for the build itself, the CPU and RAM will do fine, but the real issue is the GPU. The 250X is a fine card, but definitely on the weak side. If you want to be playing more recent games on the higher settings (especially GTA, and I hear that PS2 is like a black hole for performance), then I would aim for around the 270/270X/760/960 area, but SMITE, TF2 and Warframe should do fine with the 250X.

On another note, watch out for that PSU, as it doesn't list a brand, and generic PSUs are pretty liable to poop out on you, and sometimes even explode. So you might want to think about dropping some extra cash on one that wont.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
How much do you want to spend? Odds are you could build a rig yourself cheaper than what they have and it would be better overall.

Helps to go to newegg or tigerdirect and buy the parts a few weeks/months apart when they go on sale. It requires patience but it can save you hundreds.

seris

Oct 14, 2013
the CPU is on the weak side for planetside 2. i have an FX 8320 (8 cores) and planetside 2 doesnt run above 40 fps in large battles because of cpu bottleneck. all the other games you mentioned should run well

jackknife402

Aug 25, 2008
Planetside 2 never plays well with AMD processors. I had one that more than met the recommended requirements and could never get above 50 fps when sitting still at warpgate. Got an i5 for roughly the same specs and I sit pretty at 60 fps in all but the most chaotic battles.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
darthxaos said:
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-FX-4-Core-Configurator/W/256051

I don't need the prettiest graphics, just need the games to run good.

(inb4 build your own, I don't have the time or the skills)

Games I play:

Planetside 2
Warframe
Smite
Team Fortress 2
probably GTA V when it goes on a big sale
Yes on all those things, but everything besides TF2 is going to be pretty ugly and run at some low FPS, so prepare yourself for that. CPU and GPU are both on the trailing edge of current technology, so don't expect them to last much longer.

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
While you say that building your own PC is out of the question, how about putting a graphics card in?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101063 - I5 base unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127801 - GTX750 (fastest card you can get without requiring external power)

Total cost; $630 + shipping

I could recomend something more suitable if you told us a budget and also what parts from your current/old PC are going to be reused. Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers??