will you play Quake Champions beta???

CrazyZee

May 10, 2017
Hey!

Will you play Quake Champions beta that is starting tomorrow [https://software.informer.com/Stories/quake-champions-will-start-a-10-day-open-beta-this-week.html] already?

Which is your favorite one in the series?
I spent many of my student's nights playing quake 4)))

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
unless they have a mode with no dumb special abilities specific to champions, no
and even if they do, probably not
I was never a quake guy
More unreal tournament

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Maybe. Still on the fence about Quake Champions.

My favorites would probably be Quake III and the original Quake. I have many fond memories of both, though in the case of the latter mostly cuz of Team Fortress.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No. It doesn't help that I rather see a true sequel to the original Quake or that I've already done Quake III: Arena back when it came out. Besthesda and Id seem to be going further in an opposite direction when MachineGun Games proved you could do an single-player FPS with no hacked/forced multiplayer as an afterthought with Wolfenstein: TNO. Doom was an awesome game where Besthesda did not have faith in their own product, trying sell the multiplayer, when it was really shitty. Good thing positive word of mouth spread on the single player campaign, otherwise Doom might have been in trouble. Now, they seem to be doing what every hack publisher is doing by just doing a multiplayer only shooter and hopes that will sustain them enough. Multiplayer has worked in the past, but if the gameplay is not good or has nothing to stand on, the life expectancy will be real short. It's why a lot of servers are dead for 7th gen console shooters with tacked on mutiplayer.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I manage played QC once. The others times I tried it crushed....
My favourite is Quake 2 all the way!!!

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
May give it a go depends on the file size if its over 10 gb will prob pass also not sure my PC will run it but its free so no harm done if it does not.

Honestly was never a fan of the old shooters but I did get some fun out of Quake 3 with friends. Unreal Tournament was always my favourite of the older PC shooters although was not a huge fan of that either tbh.

CrazyZee

May 10, 2017
"May give it a go depends on the file size if its over 10 gb will prob pass also not sure my PC will run it"

The same thing with my PC)))

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Nature Guardian said:
I was moderately hyped as it looked like my kind of game.
Then I saw it was a "PC only" circlejerk.
Really fast paced twitch shooters doesn't work that well on consoles.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I played the closed beta a few times during the weekend a week or two ago. It's okay, but nothing amazing or anything. game feels a tad bit slower than previous Quake games. The Champion powers also feel a bit lacklustre for some and op for others. Starting round machineguns should be buffed I think, especially since I have to rely on picking up something better each round.

I can see myself giving the open beta a go, to confirm whether or not I'll buy the game. They said they wanted to make Quake for PC, they didn't exactly close the door on consoles, but this makes me think that they really are designing it with consoles in mind, so that becomes another factor to think of before buying the game. I do not want to get screwed over by another dev chasing a different platform's cash. Quite a few PC exclusives in recent years have suffered because of that.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Nature Guardian said:

Tell that to how much I'm playing Drawn To Death.

No, it works just great on consoles, but there's been this weird marketing decision of turning both classic multiplayer ID games (Unreal Tournament and Quake Arena) into PC exclusives.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Nature Guardian said:
Nature Guardian said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Nature Guardian said:

No, it works just great on consoles, but there's been this weird marketing decision of turning both classic multiplayer ID games (Unreal Tournament and Quake Arena) into PC exclusives.
I'll bite; how the hell is Quake supposed to work properly on consoles? The combination of having to be pinpoint accurate and being able to turn 360 degrees in 0.1 seconds makes it really unsuitable for a controller. Can you hook up any old mouse and keyboard to the current gen or do Sony and MS still reserve that for one specific, overpriced piece of junk?

They can throw a lot of aim assists, auto-aim, double the size of hit boxes etc. They can do a lot to make this game "work" on console.
It would be a bit different game tho, but I'm somewhat sure that they will port it at some point.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Nature Guardian said:
Nature Guardian said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Nature Guardian said:

I'll bite; how the hell is Quake supposed to work properly on consoles? The combination of having to be pinpoint accurate and being able to turn 360 degrees in 0.1 seconds makes it really unsuitable for a controller. Can you hook up any old mouse and keyboard to the current gen or do Sony and MS still reserve that for one specific, overpriced piece of junk?
For example, I play shooters much better with a game controller than with keyboard+mouse.

I never was good at playing with the keyboard+mouse set, which means that even when I'm playing a PC shooter I kinda try to see if it can work with a controller.

On a less personal and more general perspective: shooters work as fine on console as they do on PC; the only difference is that there's some tweaks in things like hitboxes or autoaims. But the final result is roughly the same experience.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
chrissx2 said:
They can throw a lot of aim assists, auto-aim, double the size of hit boxes etc. They can do a lot to make this game "work" on console.
It would be a bit different game tho, but I'm somewhat sure that they will port it at some point.
They could but they'd be spending money on what would ultimately be a subpar version. Its up to Bethesda but I can totally understand if they don't make a port.

Not really... Games like CSGO, Quake Arena and (hopefully) Quake Champions can flourish because they are competitive and have an extremely high skill ceiling. If you're playing with a controller that skill cieling drops like a rock, add stuff like aim assist and large hitboxes and it drops even further. You're breaking the thing which makes the game fun for 90% of the playerbase. Thats why Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament never really worked out on consoles.

And who decided 90% of the players base wants the "high skill ceiling"?
Furthermore, who decided the console version doesn't have a high skill ceiling just because it's different?

Because I can imagine someone used to keyboard+mouse would get rekt when playing the console version. So how's that for high skill ceiling?

In the end, it's the same question I posed in my "Injustice 2 and feminism" thread: why do some people not want everyone to enjoy the product they like? Adding a console port would not hurt the PC version and more people would get to play the game.