Wind Waker Symbolism Video! Winds of Change (Feedback?)

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
I know I barely post here any more, but I hope to change that. Here's a new project I recently completed. For those who are new, I'm EmceeProphIt and I make needlessly long videos on Symbolism and narrative stuff in Videogames. I'm also finally starting to branch out to a wider range of subjects, but still focus on Game Reviews or Analysis.

Now let's dive in to the surprisingly deep subtext of Wind Waker, which tackles dealing with change, and the consequences of not moving on.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Check out the channel and junk here if you tolerate my existence: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSwIxTBkr6lL79B8VA9KlvQ

Feedback is always cool. Lemme know what ya think.

False Nobility

Jul 29, 2012
I already saw this, but seeing you link to the Escapist brought back a wave of nostalgia. Seems like this place hasn't changed much. Still cool.

It's a good vid, as I commented before. I like how ridiculously long the second part is. If I can ask, why not split it into 3 parts? I think this is as long as the Majora one. Either way, it's cool. Guess it doesn't make a difference.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
False Nobility said:
I already saw this, but seeing you link to the Escapist brought back a wave of nostalgia. Seems like this place hasn't changed much. Still cool.

It's a good vid, as I commented before. I like how ridiculously long the second part is. If I can ask, why not split it into 3 parts? I think this is as long as the Majora one. Either way, it's cool. Guess it doesn't make a difference.
Thanks man, and yeah, it's been way to long since I've posted here.

And I guess I just wanted this damn think off my computer. Due to all the delays I just wanted it all done at once. Plus I genuinely did not expect it to be this long, but I guess I can't stop rambling about this series.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I was kind of bummed that you didn't cover more about the game. Though, I haven't played it, so maybe there just wasn't as much as there was in Majora.

Though, there are some bright sides to not covering all the symbolism. :)

xD For one it won't take you forever to get through the game. Plus, it leaves more for new players to discover on their own. :D

As for the length, eh, it didn't bother me. Long or short, as long as a video is entertaining, I'll watch it. Your "ramblings" are more entertaining than you give them credit for.

Anyway, hope to see whatever else you want to do soon. Best of luck! =w= b [sub](<-thumbs up face)[/sub]

Penitent

Oct 25, 2008
I'm 11 minutes in, but I'm getting an overtly TGWTG feel from your style, which I'm not a fan of. You're trying to say a point that I want to get, but it's often broken up by the overabundant amount of jokes or attempts at humour. You force the tone to change way too much. I've no idea whether to listen seriously to you, or pull myself out, because that's exactly what your jokes are doing - they pull me out of your actual point. Especially when you actually stop talking about your actual point for the sake of them. Case in point, how you dealt with describing Ariel's kidnapping and meeting Link's grandmother at the start; "it's all so saaaaaaad" in an exaggerated voice is way less effective than calling it "an emotional scene", for instance.

I suggest you cut back on the comedy, as I feel you have an interesting analysis to make, which your comedy is getting in the way of.

You've got a good voice to deliver your points, though; keep working on that.

EDIT: With all of that said, I just want to stress that this angle for the Wind Waker is not one I've paid a heavy amount of attention to. You're doing me a favour bringing it to light, and IMO you have a good case. I look forward to watching part 2 when I get the time.

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
Imp Emissary said:
Well, I was kind of bummed that you didn't cover more about the game. Though, I haven't played it, so maybe there just wasn't as much as there was in Majora.

xD For one it won't take you forever to get through the game. Plus, it leaves more for new players to discover on their own. :D

As for the length, eh, it didn't bother me. Long or short, as long as a video is entertaining, I'll watch it. Your "ramblings" are more entertaining than you give them credit for.

Anyway, hope to see whatever else you want to do soon. Best of luck! =w= b [sub](<-thumbs up face)[/sub]
Thanks man. My next video is also ridiculous in length, as most of them are. And yeah, Once a series hits fifty minutes I'm ready to move on.

Penitent said:
I'm 11 minutes in, but I'm getting an overtly TGWTG feel from your style, which I'm not a fan of. You're trying to say a point that I want to get, but it's often broken up by the overabundant amount of jokes or attempts at humour. You force the tone to change way too much. I've no idea whether to listen seriously to you, or pull myself out, because that's exactly what your jokes are doing - they pull me out of your actual point. Especially when you actually stop talking about your actual point for the sake of them. Case in point, how you dealt with describing Ariel's kidnapping and meeting Link's grandmother at the start; "it's all so saaaaaaad" in an exaggerated voice is way less effective than calling it "an emotional scene", for instance.

I suggest you cut back on the comedy, as I feel you have an interesting analysis to make, which your comedy is getting in the way of.

You've got a good voice to deliver your points, though; keep working on that.

EDIT: With all of that said, I just want to stress that this angle for the Wind Waker is not one I've paid a heavy amount of attention to. You're doing me a favour bringing it to light, and IMO you have a good case. I look forward to watching part 2 when I get the time.
Thanks for the feedback! I get that every now and then, and I'm always playing with the balance of jokes and analysis. Each episode is a little different in that way.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Overusedname said:
Imp Emissary said:

Thanks man. My next video is also ridiculous in length, as most of them are. And yeah, Once a series hits fifty minutes I'm ready to move on.
:D YAY! More symbolism!

Eh, your videos may be longer than the average Youtube video, but you have a topic with a lot of depth.
Your videos are paced about as well as similarly long videos (like Angry Joe's reviews for example). That said, I understand ya can't put ALL that you want in. So far you've done a good job of putting in what you need though.

As for the jokes, while I like your humor, I can understand Penitent's point.
Like ya said, it's a balancing act, and even if the balance is "mathematically" sound, you still have to account for taste.

If people like the jokes, they will probably let ya go with as many as ya want (within reason), and if they don't,then they'll probably just want them gone.

If ya have to decide to keep a joke in or not, I'll say (as a fan of the jokes) that removing some of them will be fine.
I came for the symbolism analysis and stayed for the personality & jokes. I'll still keep watching for the Symbolism & Personality and fewer jokes. ;D

[sub][sub][sub] <.< Plus, dat voice bro. =w= b [/sub][/sub][/sub]

Overusedname

Jun 26, 2012
Imp Emissary said:
If ya have to decide to keep a joke in or not, I'll say (as a fan of the jokes) that removing some of them will be fine.
I came for the symbolism analysis and stayed for the personality & jokes. I'll still keep watching for the Symbolism & Personality and fewer jokes. ;D

[sub][sub][sub] <.< Plus, dat voice bro. =w= b [/sub][/sub][/sub]
Oddly enough the next one is more on the side of funny. XD But lots of major analysis too. It's more of a normal review. I'm premiering it in about an hour or two. I'll post it here probably next week.