Windows 10 is Upon Me

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'd done my best to avoid Windows 10, with its weird new desktop interface and fairly negative reception, but now the company I work for is putting it on our computers, so I've got not choice but to deal with it and learn to use it.

Are any of you Windows 10 vets? Should I be feeling this sense of foreboding right now, or will everything be just as good as before when I learn how to use it? What are your thoughts on Windows 10?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
sageoftruth said:
I'd done my best to avoid Windows 10, with its weird new desktop interface...
It's not weird, really.

Are any of you Windows 10 vets?
Yes.

Should I be feeling this sense of foreboding right now, or will everything be just as good as before when I learn how to use it?
Unless you're working in some IT capacity where you're supporting W10, it should be a fairly painless switch over, end user wise. It's not like they added foot pedals or anything.

What are your thoughts on Windows 10?
It's fine. There's some data collection stuff one could argue about, but since its your work computer, I don't see why you'd care. It performs well, the interface is familiar with a few new features that range from 'neat and useful' to 'well, its not intrusive at least.' Edge is a massive upgrade from Explorer (Through the 3rd party options are still better).

In short, everythings ok, W10 is ok, just calm down.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
It's fine, the interface is basically the same as Windows 7 and they've worked most of the real annoyances out.

I mean from an end user perspective there's not much difference. You click the app and it launches. You get virtual desktops though, which are cool if you've never used them before and I think Powershell is now the default CLI so if you like that that's cool. Aside from that odds are your admins will remove most of the metro apps and it'll just be Windows 7 but newer.

Oh, unified alerting is cool if that's your thing, personally I just leave my phone under my screen.

DefunctTheory said:
Unless you're working in some IT capacity where you're supporting W10, it should be a fairly painless switch over
Even then it's not too bad, our W10 rollout was just a question of getting to grip with the new features and building out GPOs, it's nowhere near as hellish as XP -7 was. The biggest pain point we had was understanding how the new update options worked and getting to grip with the templates for switching off online updates but aside from that no complaints.

Oh the WSUS upgrade category thing was a pain but once we realised what was going on there that again wasn't too bad.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Well, hard to answer without knowing how you are used to using Windows, but in short I'm inclined to say that almost everything will be as good as before.
( Seeing as it's a company thing you probably won't have control over this, but I would strongly advise to make a fresh installation rather than upgrading from a previous version if you ever decide to update your private computer ).

I have been using Windows 10 on my potato2000 ever since it released and it has been doing a good job, I like its flat and clean look and it runs rather snappy, so no complaints from me. Although a small thing, I especially like being able to customize the applications that show up on your Start Menu, having only the applications that I actually use on there is a tremendous help. Sure, I could pin them to the top of the previous Start Menu in Windows 7 and the like, but I like this grid layout more as it allows for more customization.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Its been fine for me personally. I think most of the controversy was how bad they were pushing the upgrade and how doing that to a personal 7 computer may break stuff. Starting fresh on a new computer, it is perfectly fine and critically it was well received.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Yeah, looks like it's not that big of a deal after all. My computer is still Windows 7 in my office, but I tried logging in on one of the other computers, and things seem pretty similar. I'd been worried because my new personal laptop had Windows 10 and I was unable to find lots of files from my previous laptop. I'd thought they were all hidden behind an obscure new file storage system, but it looks like they just never made it onto my new laptop. I'll have to look into transferring them from my desktop later.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
DefunctTheory said:
In short, everythings ok, W10 is ok, just calm down.
More or less this, plus if you are really worried about the privacy thing, they have the option to turn that stuff off. But yeah, I've been on W10 for a while and it's been fine since I got it, apart from the odd minor hiccup here and there.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I'm one that held off until I couldn't no more and have been running it for just a few months now. While overal it's been a good transition, much better then I thought it would have been, I would recommend something like windows X app remover. Just to get rid of all the build in bloatware that windows comes with. Get rid of things like the build in skype as it's horrible, get the normal one if you need/want skype. Get third party versions of many build in apps because most of the windows ones are also terrible, some I find worse than those that windows 7 and down had.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
As someone who had to move to Win10 (thanks to nothing being able to get the Windows 7 installer to work with the USB3.0 slots on my new AM4 mobo) I can recommend "O&O ShutUp10", a program designed to give you complete (or as complete as is possible) control over Microsoft's reporting.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's pretty good.

Like... It's so inoffensive but unremarkable that that's all I can say.

I still have an issue with BSODs while internet browsing, but that's model-specific, rare and fixable if I'm really inclined to fix it. Apparently, it's caused by some deprecated driver or other never being updated past Windows 7.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've been pretty happy with windows 10 for the most part, fewer issues then their other os's after some patches and everything feels more accessible then even in windows 7.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
It's pretty good. I'm forced to use Mac for my work and I honestly prefer W10's user experience much more.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Its been fine for me personally. I think most of the controversy was how bad they were pushing the upgrade and how doing that to a personal 7 computer may break stuff. Starting fresh on a new computer, it is perfectly fine and critically it was well received.
That and people got pissed off in preview because it was unstable and nagged them a lot, presumably because they didn't know what a beta test would actually entail and thought it was just a fake 'beta' like EA occasionally does with its games.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I quite enjoy it.

Its more Windows 7 than 8, but it took design cues from 8 as everything looks a lot more square, but at its heart, it is Win 7.

It boots up in what feels like mere moments on my SSD, so there are certainly no complaints when it comes to that. Games seem to run a tad faster, too.

Literally the only problem that I have ever had with Windows 10 was when there was a bug that caused my Start menu to crash, and there were no buttons, but that seems to have been patched out.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
its weird new desktop interface and fairly negative reception
waiut, are you talking about windows 8 or windows 10 ? the desktop on windows 10 work perfectly fine, and it was fairly well received for as long i remember.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I have been using it since it came out and it works just fine. In that time it crashed once on me, perhaps twice, i don't recall. Usually i tend to reinstall my OS at least once a year because it gets slow, so far i don't see the need for it. The only bad thing i can say about it is that it doesn't always agree with my external hard drive, but the thing itself might be at fault here.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Laggyteabag said:
I quite enjoy it.

Its more Windows 7 than 8, but it took design cues from 8 as everything looks a lot more square, but at its heart, it is Win 7.

It boots up in what feels like mere moments on my SSD, so there are certainly no complaints when it comes to that. Games seem to run a tad faster, too.

Literally the only problem that I have ever had with Windows 10 was when there was a bug that caused my Start menu to crash, and there were no buttons, but that seems to have been patched out.
I find that the reason Windows 10 boots up so quickly is that when you tell it to shut down, it doesn't actually shut down but enter some type of low power state.

My keyboard has a Function key that swaps the F buts (F1, F2 etc) into commonly use commands. When booting up with Windows 8.1 the Function key light it lit and I have to turn the feature off.

Yet I shut down and boot with Windows 10 installed and that light remains off, telling me that the PC never actually shut down.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
votemarvel said:
I find that the reason Windows 10 boots up so quickly is that when you tell it to shut down, it doesn't actually shut down but enter some type of low power state.

My keyboard has a Function key that swaps the F buts (F1, F2 etc) into commonly use commands. When booting up with Windows 8.1 the Function key light it lit and I have to turn the feature off.

Yet I shut down and boot with Windows 10 installed and that light remains off, telling me that the PC never actually shut down.
Not so sure about that, I always cut the power to the extension box that my computer is plugged into when I'm done using it and my computer still boots up in what can be described as "moments", even on a normal HDD.

Think Windows 10 might just have a very light boot schedule that excludes superfluous functions such as turning on keyboard lights?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I thought I read that Windows 10 doesn't actually boot up from scratch when you shut it down normally and instead saves a lot of settings to file as you're shutting down for quicker booting. I don't remember where I heard it, though, and a brief Google search doesn't turn up anything.
[hr]
I'm still resisting Windows 10. I have Windows 7 with the classic Windows95 theme. I just hate the way companies are all pushing towards constant connectivity at all times between every device you own. And how Microsoft just makes things so obtuse these days by removing options in order to make things user friendly. Computers were better back in the day when you actually owned them and could uninstall whatever you wanted.

Kind of unrelated, but I was trying to make an alias email on Outlook.com and I found out that the stupid thing still shows your real name when you send an email with an alias! Like what the heck Microsoft! What is the point of an alias that isn't actually an alias? The worst part is that there doesn't even seem to be a way of telling that it will show your name before you send it. Retarded! Outlook.com is just the epitome of Microsoft bloat, Hotmail was way better before they got their greasy hands on it. Thank goodness for smaller companies like GMX.com that actually know what they are doing, and also don't require you to have an email address to make an email address to make an email address.