Windows 10 Launches Next Month

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I'll download it, since it's for free, but I'll wait for a while to install it on my desktop.

I'm sure there will be a few bugs at launch that Microsoft will patch out.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I wonder if MS will change their handling of OEM and SB licenses after a mainboard change.
Changing the mainboard (to a different model or manufacturer) is currently considered a new PC therefore nullifying the OEM or SB license. However Microsoft never actually enforced this with Win 7 or 8. You were able to call the activation hotline for a new activation key and they simply supplied it.
That MS recently explicitly stated in a Win 10 upgrade FAQ that a mainboard change will render any OEM or SB license of Win 10 invalid can either indicate a change in policy or is merely repeating the legal state ignoring their actual handling of the issue.

Seems to be around the time AMD releases their Fiji powered Fury cards. Maybe a good time to build a new beast.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
What are the benefits of Win10 to someone who doesn't care about anything Xbox related?
I have Windows 8 and may just upgrade to remove this vile abomination from my computer. But I am scared that Win10 might be even worse than 8.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
... Hmm...

No, I think I'll wait it out and see what people actually think of it. Upgrades always tend to be a real pain at the best of times.
I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I even think about it.

Besides, free upgrade sounds good on paper, but what are the downsides?
And considering I in fact have a retail copy of windows 7 ultimate (which is amongst the least restrictive kind of windows license you can get), I stand to actually lose quite a bit if my product key becomes invalid, and windows 10 turns out to be a bit of a dud in comparison.
I am also playing the waiting game, for pretty much the same reasons. Cards on the table, Microsoft. Enough pussyfooting around.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Fanghawk said:
On the gaming front, the Xbox app will let you stream PC games directly to your Xbox One or Windows 10 tablet.
Other way around I think. Stream from your Xbox One to your PC.

You can play games on your PC, streamed directly from your Xbox One console to your Windows 10 tablets or PCs,
The PC to Xbox stuff seems to just be talking about integrating xbox live interactions with windows.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Ishigami said:
I wonder if MS will change their handling of OEM and SB licenses after a mainboard change.
Changing the mainboard (to a different model or manufacturer) is currently considered a new PC therefore nullifying the OEM or SB license. However Microsoft never actually enforced this with Win 7 or 8. You were able to call the activation hotline for a new activation key and they simply supplied it.
That MS recently explicitly stated in a Win 10 upgrade FAQ that a mainboard change will render any OEM or SB license of Win 10 invalid can either indicate a change in policy or is merely repeating the legal state ignoring their actual handling of the issue.

Seems to be around the time AMD releases their Fiji powered Fury cards. Maybe a good time to build a new beast.
Glad I only recently upgraded my PC then. I likely won't need a new board or new anything until Win 11 or even win 12. OEM sucks but I only have a single PC to install on so I'm not really losing anything by spending less.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i watched the ad without sound and it looked like one of the most obnoxiuos things ive seen. Maybe the naration makes it better?

Personally ill probably decide whether to upgrade or not on the 11th month of the offer, when it will be live-tested for a while. So far it does not look to be something ill want.

NLS said:
Aight, nothing wrong with waiting. You've got a full year before the offer runs out, so no rushin.
Btw: You can't "downgrade" your windows license from Ultimate/Pro 7/8.1 to Win10 Home. You're gonna get Win10 Pro (since there's no Win10 Ultimate (Windows 7 Ultimate was just a glorified home version of Enterprise, and succeeded by Win8.1 Pro)) if you get the upgrade.
How about those of us that actually run Win 7 Enterprise, or is MS going to try and trap me out of features with its versioning again?

Li Mu said:
What are the benefits of Win10 to someone who doesn't care about anything Xbox related?
Task view, multiple desktops, Cortana, DX12 and other features. It does look like its an improved version of 8, but the UI looks too much like the bastard child of Win 7 and 8 and looks horrible again.

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
Interesting, I shall grab it off of Technet when it's available and poke it in a VM for a while before making any kind of real decision on upgrading.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Well I'm signed up. I'll test it out on my current rig and if I like it, then it can go on the new one I'm getting when I can afford it.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Windows 8 drove me so crazy I went back to Windows 7, far from perfect but not quite as bad as 8. I might upgrade but only if they have cut all the bullshit and designed an operating system that actually works properly on a PC rather than one designed for a tablet that kind of works (poorly) with a mouse.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Clickity Clickity......

Yes https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/ start10 exists.

So i am ok with this upgrade

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Will probably switch straight away, heard good things from friends who have been using the more recent previews.

alj said:
Clickity Clickity......

Yes https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/ start10 exists.

So i am ok with this upgrade
Windows 10 will allow you to have just a normal 7-style start menu natively.

TallanKhan said:
Windows 8 drove me so crazy I went back to Windows 7, far from perfect but not quite as bad as 8. I might upgrade but only if they have cut all the bullshit and designed an operating system that actually works properly on a PC rather than one designed for a tablet that kind of works (poorly) with a mouse.
Whaaaaat, Win8.1 works great with a keyboard and mouse, I'm using it right now and I'm having no issues

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Megacherv said:
TallanKhan said:
Whaaaaat, Win8.1 works great with a keyboard and mouse, I'm using it right now and I'm having no issues
The system is designed for touch-screen rather than mouse or touchpad, as such the layout is inefficient and cumbersome if you are using a mouse, just look at that ridiculous bar that comes up on the right side of the screen when you move the cursor there, comes up every time I am scrolling down a webpage using the scroll-bar. Furthermore I found - and when visiting forums for help, seems a lot of other people did too - that when using a mouse or touchpad the pointer would regularly freeze, you could still use the left and right buttons, but the pointer wouldn't move.

I have no idea what the 8.1 update fixed (as I said I went back to 7) but fixing some of the problems later doesn't excuse releasing something that doesn't work properly in the first place.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
TallanKhan said:
The system is designed for touch-screen rather than mouse or touchpad, as such the layout is inefficient and cumbersome if you are using a mouse, just look at that ridiculous bar that comes up on the right side of the screen when you move the cursor there, comes up every time I am scrolling down a webpage using the scroll-bar. Furthermore I found - and when visiting forums for help, seems a lot of other people did too - that when using a mouse or touchpad the pointer would regularly freeze, you could still use the left and right buttons, but the pointer wouldn't move.

I have no idea what the 8.1 update fixed (as I said I went back to 7) but fixing some of the problems later doesn't excuse releasing something that doesn't work properly in the first place.
Having used 8 exclusively with a mouse and keyboard since its release preview, I have never once had this problem. Are you sure it's not a hardware or driver issue on your end?

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Strazdas said:
How about those of us that actually run Win 7 Enterprise, or is MS going to try and trap me out of features with its versioning again?
You can upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise, but it's not included in the free consumer deal though. You'll have to contact your work/study IT-department (or wherever you got your Enterprise license from) about it, they'll likely have a deal with Microsoft when it comes to OS upgrades and be able to help you with it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Definitely gonna upgrade, but I'm waiting a few months before doing so, just to see if everything is running smoothly.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
TallanKhan said:
Megacherv said:
TallanKhan said:

Don't worry, you don't need to tell me how it's designed :p

I've been using Windows 8 since it was in preview stages, since before the charms bar. I now use it on every machine I own i.e. my laptop, phone and my tablet. I also use it regularly at university. I use it with touch, mouse, and even trackball (Logitech Trackman Pro), and I can use it perfectly fine, and it didn't take me long to get used to it at all. I actually find it easier and more efficient to use now than Windows 7 (the start menu search for starting a program up is great), and the fact that it's the same UI on my tablet which works so intuitively there makes it that much nicer. Even then, I only started using it on tablet a few months ago. Windows 8.1 makes Start a bit nicer, adds the start button for easier access (but to be fair the Win key works just as well if not better), and makes the Metro usage much nicer as well (hooray for X button in the top-right).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
NLS said:
Strazdas said:
You can upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 10 Enterprise, but it's not included in the free consumer deal though. You'll have to contact your work/study IT-department (or wherever you got your Enterprise license from) about it, they'll likely have a deal with Microsoft when it comes to OS upgrades and be able to help you with it.
Enterprise users getting screwed again, yay MS!

I got the enterprice license on my own, because it was basically ultimate minus shitty MS DRMs. They knew companies wont stand for shitty DRMs and didnt put them in enterprise versions. that made the choice between ultimate and enterprise for me.