Windows 11 is out!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Is that old saying still true, where every version of Windows always seems to alternate between good and bad?

Either way, I'm getting Vista vibes from this. ie: an unnecessarily large UI overhaul, and some hefty system requirements. Well, maybe "hefty" isn't the right word, but it still requires updated hardware that I imagine most people don't have.
Vista ended up being pretty good after it got some patches. The main issue was manufacturers didn't have drivers ready for its launch so you ended up with a lot of weirdness. But after that it was fine, the problem is that by then the damage was done and no one wanted to touch it and would rather just stick with XP. If you want to talk about unnecessary UI overhauls then you want to talk about windows 8, which had a garbage UI. Like, seriously, its soooo bad, even after patches its so bad, its an ok tablet UI that they put on a desktop/laptop. A lot of what they did under the hood in 8 was pretty good, and would find its way into 10, but the UI was sooo bad.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Hold off on upgrading to windows 11 if you have a Ryzen CPU.

I've noticed that AMD stuff tends to have a lot of compatibility issues over the years compared to NVIDIA. Sounds like the tradition continues.

As for Windows 11, it sounds like the same old story. They get an OS working to a decent level after being crap and clearly inferior to the previous one for a long time and thus finally usable, then they start trying to force a new OS onto people at the point when nobody actually wants it. Everything since Windows 7 at least has been like this.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be the final form? They had that huge push to get everyone on the same opperating system because they were not going to make new OS anymore and instead push out updates to the Windows platform itself. They even spend a year given everyone 10 for free.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be the final form? They had that huge push to get everyone on the same opperating system because they were not going to make new OS anymore and instead push out updates to the Windows platform itself. They even spend a year given everyone 10 for free.
C’mon now this is Microsoft we’re talking about; the richest company in the world that perpetually still doesn’t really know wtf they want to do.

Want more proof?

Yay?

Reactions: Gatuno and BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I do recall that being their exact, published position. So much for that idea.

Reactions: Gatuno

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I do recall that being their exact, published position. So much for that idea.
Technology and especially in the Software space is ever evolving. To think that would be ridiculous. Especially for a For-Profit driven company.

As for Windows 11 itself, I may have to get used to it once I buy a brand new PC to replace my old one (its still working, but woefully behind the times if I wanna play the latest games) since Windows 10 support will be dropped come 2025.

I have been told that whatever fears of compatibility issues between 11 and 10 are nearly zero at this point. So you can still play your old CD-ROM PC games of the 1990s somehow.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Technology and especially in the Software space is ever evolving. To think that would be ridiculous. Especially for a For-Profit driven company.

As for Windows 11 itself, I may have to get used to it once I buy a brand new PC to replace my old one (its still working, but woefully behind the times if I wanna play the latest games) since Windows 10 support will be dropped come 2025.

I have been told that whatever fears of compatibility issues between 11 and 10 are nearly zero at this point. So you can still play your old CD-ROM PC games of the 1990s somehow.
Might have been another thread in this forum we discussed this. Windows had been saying, this is it, just updates from here on out. Seemed to make sense. They are competing with Google Chrome, Ubuntu, Android. I can hook my phone up to my TV and have a desktop like experience. But, it was pointed out, at some point, the hardware of my phone will not run the newest Android and I'll either miss out or need a new phone.

I try to get my desktop builds to live 6 years. Mine is at 4. 2 to go, and I'll go for Windows 11. Hopefully, by that time, decent graphics cards will be available again, and any bugs have been ironed out (if it isn't Windows 12 already).

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

For me personally it’s a firm pass on this shit show. Might just end up skipping it altogether like I did ‘93, ‘98, Vista, 8 and waiting for the stupid Microsoft pendulum to swing back into the realm of sanity.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
I like some of the ease of getting to dtuff. And its relearning other areas. My biggest problem is when i leave the laptop closed for a while and the screen remains black for a while.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I think 11 will require that your motherboard have an encryption chip onboard. Great for security, lousy for ease of use. Buddy had a computer power supply die and he needed fast access to his data. I took out the hard drive and moved it into a known good box and he was back up and running. Doubting it will be that simple in the future.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think 11 will require that your motherboard have an encryption chip onboard. Great for security, lousy for ease of use. Buddy had a computer power supply die and he needed fast access to his data. I took out the hard drive and moved it into a known good box and he was back up and running. Doubting it will be that simple in the future.
Just being able to move your c drive between machines as easily as you can now is pretty new. Back in the xp and win7 days you would have all these issues with drivers and windows wanting to reactivate and sometimes not taking it. It was a mess, but now it can just work, I have a feeling they won't get rid of that.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
The user decides whether or not to enable Bitlocker on Windows.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I helped a friend set up a new computer tonight. Windows 11. Some stuff to get used to but... doesn't seem to suck.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The chip you're talking about is the Trusted Platform Module. It is a critical part of using the inbuilt drive encryption in Windows however you don't need to turn it on. Also, when you DO encrypt with BitLocker, it generates a recovery key so that if you DO fuck the password up or have to move the drive, it acts as the master key to unlock the drive in the new environment.

Or, again, just don't use it and the problem ceases to exist.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The chip you're talking about is the Trusted Platform Module. It is a critical part of using the inbuilt drive encryption in Windows however you don't need to turn it on. Also, when you DO encrypt with BitLocker, it generates a recovery key so that if you DO fuck the password up or have to move the drive, it acts as the master key to unlock the drive in the new environment.

Or, again, just don't use it and the problem ceases to exist.
Thanks, good to know.

I do have a feeling if he doesn't follow my advice (My buddy that got the new Win 11 PC) and get his stuff off of a PC still running XP! he is in big trouble. If I moved that drive into a new box? The Windows XP would not recognize the new environment. I don't think it would boot up.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks, good to know.

I do have a feeling if he doesn't follow my advice (My buddy that got the new Win 11 PC) and get his stuff off of a PC still running XP! he is in big trouble. If I moved that drive into a new box? The Windows XP would not recognize the new environment. I don't think it would boot up.
Are you talking about just moving the drive with xp on it to the new machine and trying to boot to XP? I mean it would probably boot, but you would have a lot of issues till you installed drivers for everything.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Are you talking about just moving the drive with xp on it to the new machine and trying to boot to XP? I mean it would probably boot, but you would have a lot of issues till you installed drivers for everything.
Yep. Assuming his 19 year old PC power supply blows or motherboard dies but the hard drive survives, will I be able to just move it to another box?

All of this was kind of a happy accident. He turned on his PC that his business runs on (Auto repair shop) and it would not turn on for about 1/2 a day. Then it just did. He asked me to take a look and long story short, his vendor says that in February, they end support for the application his business depends upon. We would not have known so otherwise. So I'm telling him to migrate to something from this decade already! He has 2 to choose from. He gave me a gift cert to a brewery in thanks. Totally unnecessary but I will enjoy it!

Sucks, I've seen this before. Most of his database will convert to a new system. Name, invoice, car, vehicle ID. But not the notes he entered regarding work done. He's incredulous but I'm telling him, when I converted from one DNS server to another, IPs and DNS name traveled. Notes about what the thing was and where it lived. Gone.

I've left him with the old box and a brand new one I recommended running side by side and advise he make the db transfer than update manually his last year in notes.

I'll think kindly of him over a pint of IPA.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yep. Assuming his 19 year old PC power supply blows or motherboard dies but the hard drive survives, will I be able to just move it to another box?

All of this was kind of a happy accident. He turned on his PC that his business runs on (Auto repair shop) and it would not turn on for about 1/2 a day. Then it just did. He asked me to take a look and long story short, his vendor says that in February, they end support for the application his business depends upon. We would not have known so otherwise. So I'm telling him to migrate to something from this decade already! He has 2 to choose from. He gave me a gift cert to a brewery in thanks. Totally unnecessary but I will enjoy it!

Sucks, I've seen this before. Most of his database will convert to a new system. Name, invoice, car, vehicle ID. But not the notes he entered regarding work done. He's incredulous but I'm telling him, when I converted from one DNS server to another, IPs and DNS name traveled. Notes about what the thing was and where it lived. Gone.

I've left him with the old box and a brand new one I recommended running side by side and advise he make the db transfer than update manually his last year in notes.

I'll think kindly of him over a pint of IPA.
Well, he could hook up the old drive and try and boot from it, but it would be better to just connect the old drive to the new computer without swapping drives and copy over all the data that way, or through ethernet if the old machine still works. A new machine will still read an old hard drive, the only issue could be if it's encrypted and he lost the password.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Well, he could hook up the old drive and try and boot from it, but it would be better to just connect the old drive to the new computer without swapping drives and copy over all the data that way, or through ethernet if the old machine still works. A new machine will still read an old hard drive, the only issue could be if it's encrypted and he lost the password.
Not sure. I networked the computer and copied all I could, set up the application (without license: he has a USB that has some key in it and the vendor has to assign it to the active computer). As it was, the records have not yet transferred. Quite a mess. But really: end of support likely in February. I'm begging him to get onto something from this century! But thanks for your input!