Windows 11 is out!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Not sure. I networked the computer and copied all I could, set up the application (without license: he has a USB that has some key in it and the vendor has to assign it to the active computer). As it was, the records have not yet transferred. Quite a mess. But really: end of support likely in February. I'm begging him to get onto something from this century! But thanks for your input!
I have one client that had a single win 98 machine hooked up to a really old server just for their accounting system, this went on till like 2019 when the printer hooked up to it finally stopped working right and they updated to a new version of the accounting/check printing system. Getting some people to spend money on computers is harder the pulling teeth. I think it comes back to them always getting cheap slow machines anyway so they have no sense of how good computing can be.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have one client that had a single win 98 machine hooked up to a really old server just for their accounting system, this went on till like 2019 when the printer hooked up to it finally stopped working right and they updated to a new version of the accounting/check printing system. Getting some people to spend money on computers is harder the pulling teeth. I think it comes back to them always getting cheap slow machines anyway so they have no sense of how good computing can be.
I built my buddy a 2nd PC in 2011. He had a disc based system. You typed in some stuff to see a list of parts for the applicable part. After typing your stuff, it would chug for a while and only then show your stuff. After I updated his stuff? He typed it in, hit enter, and too fast to measure, his stuff was on screen. He literally laughed out loud at the increase in performance. Very rewarding. They can be taught!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I built my buddy a 2nd PC in 2011. He had a disc based system. You typed in some stuff to see a list of parts for the applicable part. After typing your stuff, it would chug for a while and only then show your stuff. After I updated his stuff? He typed it in, hit enter, and too fast to measure, his stuff was on screen. He literally laughed out loud at the increase in performance. Very rewarding. They can be taught!
Yeah, once they see a fast computer they can really get into it, but till then... pulling teeth.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
My taskbar is burned into my LED monitor after seven years and auto-hide SUCKS, because a ton of the time the taskbar just doesn't pop up. Is 11 any less buggy with this? Assuming not, since Windows always carries over the same broken code from previous versions.

Windows logo visible.

Reactions: Gatuno and gorfias

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
My taskbar is burned into my LED monitor after seven years and auto-hide SUCKS, because a ton of the time the taskbar just doesn't pop up. Is 11 any less buggy with this? Assuming not, since Windows always carries over the same broken code from previous versions.
I had that happen, I switched to the dark color layout and that resolved things.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I've been using dark Windows for a year or two. Have no idea if the taskbar was burned in before that.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've been using dark Windows for a year or two. Have no idea if the taskbar was burned in before that.
Depending on the type of monitor you have, just not having that UI element there could 'repair' the issue. Like, you could try moving the task bar to the top or swapping your primary monitor, if you have multiple, and the burn in might disappear.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

So first Microsoft tells everyone they need the latest CPUs to use their new OS, and now we find out it could cause data damage. Seems like their on again/off again track record is still holding true to form.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

So first Microsoft tells everyone they need the latest CPUs to use their new OS, and now we find out it could cause data damage. Seems like their on again/off again track record is still holding true to form.
I'm waiting for another 18 months and hope they have the bugs out by then.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I discovered that a possible cause of a very rare instance of my computer randomly slowing down for about two seconds (audio/video slow and stutter, programs hitch) is the TPM module in my motherboard. I've shut it off, and now Windows Update has a very large alert telling me that my computer isn't ready for Windows 11.

(Insert "oh no/anyway" .jpeg here)
I'm waiting for another 18 months and hope they have the bugs out by then.
I'm hoping they have the bugs out by Windows 18.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

That’s what happens when you release an unneeded product, and do so all shitty-like with misleading system requirements.

Geez, Microsoft really is batting 100 for their on again, off again OS launches.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Dear Windows 11, get your shit together. I have had like 8 crashes due to driver issues.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Didn't pay proper attention and ended up updating to Win11 on my laptop.

Not having the start menu in the bottom right is kind of tripping me up, but otherwise it's fine, I guess.

Removed all my pinned aps and replaced them with a bunch of junk I don't need tho, so that was annoying.

Reactions: Gatuno and gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Its looks ever worse than windows 10
I'm using it on a work laptop. No games on it so dunno what I'll think about it next year. I wonder if this will be like Win 8 mess fixed by Win 10: will there be a Win 12 by next year that fixes any game problems. For business purposes, little learning curve but it's fine.

Reactions: Gatuno