Windows 7 with 2GB RAM

LordKraven

Dec 24, 2008
W& have just about the same requirments at XP, so it should run great with 2GB of RAM, might want to taink about getting a 64bit system and upping it to 4 or 6GB or RAM anyways soon.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Woodsey said:
Your RAM is fine for 7. I've seen the figures for Windows 7 running along side Vista and it's far better optimised then Vista ever was or will be.

Although I'd get more anyway, especially if you're using DDR2 - RAM's dirt cheap.

EDIT: Someone's bound to say "link or it's not true" but I read it quite a while ago on one gaming site (the figures were definetely official though) and I can't remember what site, nor am I prepared to search all over just for a link. Believe me or not, but there's no point in me lying.
Something like this?:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236

I upgraded from Vista Business to Windows 7 RC, and it's remarkably better. I'll certainly get the full version once it's released. I was learning Ubuntu just in case Windows 7 turned out to be a dud, but it performed so much better than Vista (and for the record, I never hated Vista, it was just a resource hog) that now I barely use Ubuntu.

I was using 2GB of RAM to run it and it was just fine. But I had some extra $$$ lying around so I upgraded to 4GB and got a reasonable improvement in performance. Not required, but definitely recommended.

internutt

Aug 27, 2008
If there are any Uni College students in the UK. Microsoft will be selling 7 for £30 to students, all you have to provide is an authentic college/university email address. Otherwise, if you are on a Computing course (like myself) Microsoft allow Students free access to just about all of their products for free. That is how I got my copy of 7.

If anyone here is annoyed with Vista or had any problems with Vista then you will love 7. After playing round with the OS for a few hours it certainly runs a lot smoother and does things a lot faster than Vista. It is not the memory hog Vista was.

The only slight inconvenience was having to install Firefox onto a USB stick on my old PC and then load it onto the laptop through the USB stick. This is because by EU law, Microsoft are no longer allowed to sell OS in the EU with Internet Explorer. So be sure to have a way to install a web browser onto windows 7.