Windows Live won't let me play Bioshock 2 on Steam

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
So I have Bioshock 2 on Steam and I want to replay it (because I want to hit things and drill holes in people with my big drill) and Windows Live asks me to sign in. Then it asks to do an update then when the download is done it tells me to exit the game and let the update install. I do this and I start up the game again. The version in the corner still says 1.0 and I have to download, exit, and restart game. I would be fine playing the 1.0 version but it won't allow me. I have to sign into Windows Live to be able to save and if I don't update it will sign me out of Windows live.

How do I fix this? Also it is really getting on my nerves considering it's on Steam and it updates your games for you.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Well, if you created an offline profile I'm not sure it would force the patch on you. You wouldn't have online play or access to your saves on another system though.

Of course it's a shame Bioshock 2 double dipped DRM like this, if they hadn't used GFWL you wouldn't have this problem.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Did you try to download and install the patch manually? Else Id also try an offline profile.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a crack you can download to bypass GFWL? You do own the game after all. So I am in no way endorcing piracy.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I'd feel bad for you but I myself wrestled with the dilemma of GFWL vs cheap bioshock 2 and have come to the conclusion that buying any game that has GFWL is supporting the practice and deserving of all the pain it brings you. They screwed me once with section 8 prejudice and their crappy service making the game more trouble then its worth, never again.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
Yeah you can use saves while offline.

I can't play ANY GFWL game while signed in cuz I have 64 bit and the update is 32.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
First Question: Why are you using Windows Live?
Second Question: Why do you want to play Bioshock 2?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Try running Steam as a Local Admin even is your logged in as a power user or Admin. (Right click > Run as Administrator) As a result, Steam and the games it launches will run under more permissions. If this doesn't help, force the game to go into offline mode for GFWL.