Winter is Coming

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Winter is Coming

MovieBob scopes out the fall and winter movie season, you know, when all the good movies come out.

Read Full Article

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I got to admit I thought this was going to be about Bob telling us he started watching games of thrones.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
After seeing all the hype about the Ender's Game trailer, I read the book and wasn't that impressed. The only stand out thing from it is how the kids deal with each other. Which isn't that surprising really. Being told that you are training to save the world is more than a little bit of pressure.

Jan 12, 2012
JackBauer47 said:
How does "The World's End" not make the list?
That is the most summery of summer movies. This piece is focusing on things in the fall/winter.

OT: I hadn't heard of The Monuments Men before, but now it's a must-see; I'm just hoping they don't succumb to the temptation to make it into Indiana Jones.

JackBauer47

Oct 21, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
JackBauer47 said:
That is the most summery of summer movies. This piece is focusing on things in the fall/winter.
Not "This is the End", "The World's End" from Pegg/Frost/Wright. Its release date is August 23rd, which is covered by this list.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
An impressive line-up but I'm surprised "The World's End" wasn't mentioned (Thanks, JackBauer47) but, hopefully, Bob will cover it in a future review.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Surprised there wasn't a parody of Hunger Games prior to this. I have to say though, I am going to avoid the hell out of Oldboy.

On the one hand, the hallway fight was badass enough that it's been ripped off in all sorts of other movies. Having seen the original, however, I really don't want to go through the last third of that jacked up movie again.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one a little disturbed by the lack of Applegate's character in the Anchorman 2 trailers. There was an opportunity in the original to make her character yet another fun-hating prudish quasi-mom surrogate trying to bring order to a "boys club"- but instead, she was every bit as nuts as all the other characters in the movie, and it was awesome.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I have to say, Elysium sounds awesome. On another note the trailer for The World's End just doesn't look that funny (apart from the fence gag, although it being in the trailer isn't a good sign), I'm a bit worried. I'd be really disappointed if it wasn't close to Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz in quality, but I think asking it to be as good might be a bit much to ask.

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Machete Kills is gonna be senseless awesomeness! Looking forward to this!

Jan 12, 2012
JackBauer47 said:
JackBauer47 said:
Not "This is the End", "The World's End" from Pegg/Frost/Wright. Its release date is August 23rd, which is covered by this list.
My bad. "The World's End" comes out July 19th in the UK. I don't know why he passed that one by.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
An intriguing list. The Monuments Men has gained particular attention on my part. I wonder if they will adress blunders such as the Monte Cassino bombing or conveniently step around issues that would portray the Allies as anything but flawless.

Apart from that, I suppose I can look forward to Thor 2, despite that they will probably have weird set locations for it (Heck, the prolouge to Captain America was more source-linked than the whole first movie).

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
OT: I hadn't heard of The Monuments Men before, but now it's a must-see; I'm just hoping they don't succumb to the temptation to make it into Indiana Jones.
Agreed. Only movie in that list that interested me and I'd never heard a peep about it. I hope it gets released here in Europe and doesn't go all action movie.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I must be getting jaded in my old age because none of those movies sound interesting except for Saving Mr Banks. I don't know what it is about this kind of behind the scenes of creative endeavors that intrigue me, but they do. But since I'm aware of this bias, I am eyeing that one more suspiciously, unsure if my interest is genuine or indicative of potential enjoyment or not.