Winter is Coming

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
I have to say, Elysium sounds awesome.
If Elysium sounds good to you then I highly recommend that you check out the Battle Angel Alita manga series which, judging from the trailers, this movies rips off mercilessly. I cannot spot a single iota of original thought in the trailers that I've seen for this movie. I am also, as a fan of Battle Angel, still incredibly disappointed that James Cameron (who holds the rights for a film adaptation of the manga) is still, apparently, just sitting on the project.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Really worried about the Oldboy remake. The original was such a perfect film, there's nothing I can see a remake adding to it. I know Spike Lee is a great director when he's on form, but even so, Oldboy as it is already is just sublime. The hallway fight, the octopus scene, the plot twists, the pitch-perfect casting and acting... everything is just spot on.
Watching the original Oldboy is on my 'To Do' list but I suspect that this remake will be similar to the American versions of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Let the Right One In. Unnecessary, forgettable and in every way worse than the original.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
MrBaskerville said:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/park-chan-wooks-sympathy-for-mr-vengeance-getting-a-remake/

Unfortunately, they are going to remake all of the films. I was hoping that they would stay away from Mr. Vengeance, as it´s my favourite of the three and i don´t really see what an Americanisation would add to it...
I´m gonna avoid all the remakes as the plague as i don´t really see the point. It´s like the american remake of Let The Right One In, why even bother?

Aside from that, i´m not really that up to date with upcoming films at the moment. But i usually watch a lot of smaller movies during the fall, mostly because a lot of movies are postponed to january and february here in Denmark (Not sure why, probably something to do with the oscars). Fortunately it often leads to better experiences as the local niche cinema usually has a lot of cool stuff during the fall, great movies released during the year from a wide variety of countries, both small and bigger releases.
Ugh. I don't even want to delve into why Mr.Vengeance would be worse off but on the positive side, I hope they take out the stupid piece of dialogue at the end of the film. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

Borania

Aug 24, 2009
am I the only one that tought the gravity would have been so much better without sound. Everything has to be so incredibly loud all the time now that people forget how effective silence can be. it would just be so jarring to see that destruction and not hear anything

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
They also worked to "flag" buildings, museums and statuary of historic value so that Allied bombers would know what not to destroy during bombings, ultimately saving countless irreplaceable artifacts that might otherwise have been lost to history.
Really? The High Cathedral of St. Peter in my home city, containing among other priceless artifacts the Shrine of the Three Kings (the remains of those three dudes bringing presents to baby Jesus) was hit by 70 (seventy!!!) bombs. Saint Ursula was almost completely destroyed, the historic Golden Chamber barely escaping destruction. There are a lot more examples I could name and that is just my own home city.

I'm really curious about that movie now...

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
The Dubya said:
Tom Hanks...playing WALT FREAKIN DISNEY...telling the behind the scenes of one of the more beloved Disney films "Mary Poppins", i.e. Hollywood gets it chance to pat itself on the back for how awesomely awesome they are...

GEE, I WONDER WHO'S GOING TO WIN BEST PICTURE AT NEXT YEAR'S OSCARS. THIS IS GOING TO BE SUCH A CLOSE RACE.
My money was on the steve jobs movie coming out.

OT: Nothing incredibly noteworthy but some stuff like elysium might be kinda cool.

josephmatthew10

Jun 24, 2010
Nouw said:
MrBaskerville said:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/park-chan-wooks-sympathy-for-mr-vengeance-getting-a-remake/

Unfortunately, they are going to remake all of the films. I was hoping that they would stay away from Mr. Vengeance, as it´s my favourite of the three and i don´t really see what an Americanisation would add to it...
I´m gonna avoid all the remakes as the plague as i don´t really see the point. It´s like the american remake of Let The Right One In, why even bother?

Aside from that, i´m not really that up to date with upcoming films at the moment. But i usually watch a lot of smaller movies during the fall, mostly because a lot of movies are postponed to january and february here in Denmark (Not sure why, probably something to do with the oscars). Fortunately it often leads to better experiences as the local niche cinema usually has a lot of cool stuff during the fall, great movies released during the year from a wide variety of countries, both small and bigger releases.
Ugh. I don't even want to delve into why Mr.Vengeance would be worse off but on the positive side, I hope they take out the stupid piece of dialogue at the end of the film. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.
I can't be the only one here who loved Let Me In as much as Lat Den Ratte Komme In, can I?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
RoonMian said:
They also worked to "flag" buildings, museums and statuary of historic value so that Allied bombers would know what not to destroy during bombings, ultimately saving countless irreplaceable artifacts that might otherwise have been lost to history.
Really? The High Cathedral of St. Peter in my home city, containing among other priceless artifacts the Shrine of the Three Kings (the remains of those three dudes bringing presents to baby Jesus) was hit by 70 (seventy!!!) bombs. Saint Ursula was almost completely destroyed, the historic Golden Chamber barely escaping destruction. There are a lot more examples I could name and that is just my own home city.

You do realize that at the start of the allied bombing campaign that simply hitting the correct city was considered a success?

Both sides bombed historical sites by accident and on purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baedeker_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Mannheim_in_World_War_II

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
Is it bad that the movie I'm most excited for is MACHETE KILLS?
Not at all. It's definitely the movie I'm most excited to see out of this list. I suppose I'll be keeping an eye on all of them, though.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Ed130 said:
RoonMian said:

You do realize that at the start of the allied bombing campaign that simply hitting the correct city was considered a success?

Both sides bombed historical sites by accident and on purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baedeker_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Mannheim_in_World_War_II
Oh sorry, I didn't realise the Ministry of Propaganda by the NSDAP had also made a movie about their heroic historic art saving special unit... Oh wait.

You missed the point there a little.

Besides, do you know how my home city looked like in the 1940s? There was hardly a building taller than five stories and then smack at the middle there is this:

More than 500 feet tall. And it wasn't his by one or the other stray bomb. It was hit by 70 (again: SEVENTY!!!) bombs. Volunteers were camping on the roof to put out the fire bombs thrown on it when the whole city around it was already reduced to rubble. The rubble you see on the picture? 95% of the city looked like this. There was already nobody living in the city anymore and it was still bombed into oblivion.

That's why I said I am curious about the movie. Because if it handles that special unit any more seriously than "The Men Who Stare at Goats" then I'll have a hard time believing that "they were real, they were awesome" part when it is true what MovieBob's column said about them telling allied bombers not to drop bombs on historic sites.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
After reading the wiki article on Tomorrowland, it sounds like it's more of a continuation of that period of time when Disney thought basing movies off of it's attractions was a good idea after Pirates of the Caribbean, giving us the masterpiece that was The Haunted Mansion.