Wireless keyboards and mice - Do you use them?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Wireless technology is a modern marvel. Wireless mobile phones give us immense freedom to talk where ever we are, wireless modems allow us to have multiple devices in separate rooms all connected to the one modem without cables. Wireless controllers and headphones let me move animatedly about my room without accidentally ripping my Xbox off the wall.

But I just don't like wireless keyboards and mouses (mouses? mice? - whatever.)

I struggle to type this on my wireless keyboard because the centimetre of balsa wood the damn thing rests on periodically interferes with the signal causing lag, failure to recognize key strokes and stuck repeated keys.
Not to mention the AA batteries it now runs on which seem to increase errors when they start to get low.
It just seems like such a unnecessary addition to a piece of vital technology that gives no real gain beyond a lack of a single cable (which isn't an issue considering both my keyboard and tower are 100% stationary anyway) And I always have these connection issues with every wireless keyboard/mouse that I have tried.

I've had four wireless mice over the past 8 years and I've ended up back with the original wired lazer mouse because they've all malfunctioned or just have been utterly crap, which means I'm currently using this:
Which has a faster response time, no errors in placement, no lag, no batteries, and never randomly spins off to the corner of the screen like my other mice did. It's just better in every way.

So what's your opinion of wireless keyboards/mice - Good use of wireless technology, or a development that isn't worth the hassle it produces?

Also are there any other cases where you prefer to use less 'advanced' technology because the newer versions have downsides you aren't prepared to compromise for?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Wires are a pain in the ass. The tangle up too much, they get in the way and when they are caught on something it's annoying. So wireless mice and keyboard are a dream. Easier to take everywhere with less space being used.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Do you buy your wireless mice from the back of a truck? I've been using a cheap wireless Logitech mouse for the last few years, and it's worked fine. Only had to change the batteries a few times. Maybe you should try a reputable brand

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
DrownedAmmet said:
Do you buy your wireless mice from the back of a truck? I've been using a cheap wireless Logitech mouse for the last few years, and it's worked fine. Only had to change the batteries a few times. Maybe you should try a reputable brand
The most recent was a HP one, but it stuttered and lags ridiculously. The one I had before that ate batteries and was really inconsistent with the signal, and the one before that just plain stopped working after several months. Not sure what make, but they were all proper brands.
I've also had 1 work which was crap and I just ended up raiding our IT department for an old wired mouse, which again has given me no issues.

I don't know if I've just had really bad luck or what, but I always seem to get defective ones in some way.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
You definitely need to take a closer look at Logitech. Even the worst mouse they have ever had is better than the best mouse Fujitsu ever put their name on. HP bundle tons of useless crap in their software. You've had bad brand luck.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Ive never had a problem with keyboard and mouse wires, and im someone who moves his desktop around semi-frequently. Honestly my dislike for wireless things stem from way back with Wireless Gamecube controllers. They required a supply of batteries, you could easily lose or mix up which port went with which controller, and then syncing it up was a pain.

Now of course i don't need to worry about mixing up ports and syncing as much with the keyboard + mouse, but still needing to use batteries and possibly losing one necessary small piece to it when moving it around is not worth the cost when i don't have any issue with wires in the first place.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I have a cheap wireless mouse I use on my desktop if I'm lying on my bed watching videos. I don't have a wireless keyboard and my main mouse is a wired gaming mouse.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I really dont see the point of wireless keyboards and mices unless you want to use them on the coach or something. I have a wireless mouse and it is incredibly annoying. It has a battery life of maybe 5 hours, so half of the time its wired in to recharge, which itself would be fine if that cable wasnt more annoying than most wired mouses. Freakin worthless logitech wireless mouse.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nah. I go USB. USB is a standard that doesn't require batteries or signal strength. Most efficient system.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I used to use wireless exclusively and it was really awful, the amount of batteries I went through was just insane and the number of times shit would crap out when it was most critical to not crap out was beyond insane. Not to mention there is lag, you might not register it visually but the feel of one over the other was night and day once I switched back.

They do come in very handy if you need to do something away from the desk, but for high powered use they don't cut it.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
If I didn't game on my PC then I wouldn't mind a wireless mouse/keyboard, but since I do a wired version is simply superior for all the reason others have already mentioned.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Keyboard's I don't massively see a point, sans the logitech media keyboard for my tv which is evident why it needs to be wireless, but a desktop keyboard don't need to be - that said both my microsoft curve and the older natural ergonomic keyboards I use at home and work respectively have no issue over the older wired version I had of the natural. Both solid boards and responsive as a wired and the batteries last an age even the heavy use they get.

Wireless mice on the other hand are a thing of beauty, no worry about snagging the cable on desktop clutter. And again, I use ergonomic mice that came with the 'boards and they work flawlessly.

Bonus, as I get the keyboard/mice set they use one transmitter dongle, so only 1 usb slot needed for both devices (not much of an issue on the home rig, but the work laptop is a little sparse on ports).

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I haven't had cause to use my $20 logitech in a while, as my laptop has become stationary since last year, but I had none of these lag and poor input issues people keep claiming wireless devices have. Of course, I'm sure keeping my drivers up to date helped. And, with a pair of rechargeable USB port compatible rechargeable batteries, I never had power issues. (Mostly because I'm attentive enough to notice the huge, half-hour plus window wherein the low battery light flashes on the damn thing). Hell, last season I made Gold in LoL using that mouse, which I suppose gives me some license to say "get on my level scrubs" (Moreso because I definitely did NOT have the West Coast advantage).
Honestly, my only complaint is that the on/off switch has worn down to the point where actually being able to flip it takes considerable effort, or a paperclip.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I with you OP! Wired > Wireless.

I mean sure I did used to have a wireless keyboard and mouse (it was an expensive microsoft one that some developer used) during my days at uni. It got annoying that I had to buy batteries in the first place when I never had to with wired (don't mention recharged batteries) meaning extra spending and the amount of times it lose its signel during my online gaming!

The final straw was when I build a new pc and I lost the installment disc for the two so I figure "screwed it, I'm going back to wired". Even then I never get people annoying on how the cables tangle up since the two are simply at the back with all the other cables.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I like the idea of wireless, cleaner desk and all that, but the reality is that you either end up with more wires for the recharge station etc or are spending a crap load on batteries.

They really aren't solving the problem they are supposed too.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I use a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard, never had any problems with them. They don't need their batteries replacing more than once a year and since my monitor is some distance from the actual computer box it's just more convenient to use wireless. Then again I don't tend to play competitive games on my PC so if there is input lag I wouldn't notice it.
I also use a wireless keyboard on my laptop, because screw laptop keyboards.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I've had a real hit-and-miss with wireless stuff, but I've settled in a very niche application for my things now. Problems I've had (only using reputable brands) has been recharge stations crapping out very quickly, laggy inputs, keyboards finicky about what batteries are used, interference or much less range than advertised. So stationary computers (office and home) I use wired only. I did use one wireless logitech for ages, MX 5500, served me well until it's keys became worn and shiny and all the rubber from the wrist guard peeled off.

Right now I'm only using a wireless for my HTPC, and one for my sim racing chassis set up. Thankfully, those are great and serve the purpose.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
As for your second question OP:
The car I drive is 20 years old and has the bare minimum of technology that I require, meaning power windows/steering/locks, A/C, fuel injection and an upgraded head unit to play music through USB and bluetooth.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I used the wireless mouse that came with my laptop.

It was great having no cable get in the way. Then it ran out of batteries and I never could be arsed to get new ones. Went back to my old wired mouse.

Did they ever make wireless mice/keyboards with built in rechargeable batteries that you can just plug in via USB when they run dry?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I had a wireless mouse for like 2 years. Never again.

Exactly the same issues you mentioned: lag, not responsive, generally just inferior; even though it was supposed to be pretty high-end back then. Went back to a wired gaming mouse after that and I only really even realised how shitty the controls had been then, don't know how I even did 2 years with it.

If you're only doing work or simple games that don't require precise input at your computer, wireless is fine. Attempt any serious gaming and you'll pull your hair out, in my experience.