Wireless mouse & keyboard recommendations

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I recommend any Logitech that will fit your budget. Razer are nice, but they fall apart so easily and don't last long.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'll second the solar powered keyboard and a basic logitec wireless mouse. I use the wired kit that came with my computer, but that's because I didn't already have a keyboard and I like a mouse with and adjustable DPI setting now that I realize what that little button does.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I use my laptop keyboard and a $12 mouse, don't go wireless. The batteries are a pain and they are more expensive as a whole.

wfieldb

Mar 25, 2011
I went wireless about two years ago with a Logitech setup, nothing fancy or expensive (K350 and the trackball mouse) but it works great and I can't recommend them enough, I notice pretty much no lag and the batteries last months (at least in my peripherals). A little advice though, If you plug the wireless receiver directly into your PC there's a decent chance you'll get interference ESPECIALLY if you also use a wireless card, all you need to remedy this is a short USB extension cable from the PC to the receiver though so it's not too much of a problem.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I don't really see why everyone is complaining about battery life. I have 2 different mice and the batteries last like 8 months at a time. And I get a warning light a few days before the batteries die. Just get some chargeable AA's or buy like a 50 pack if that's a problem. Batteries don't expire for like 5 years.

Unfortunately for your topic, I don't own a gaming mouse so I can't recommend one but I'm sure most modern wireless mice won't give you any trouble with range and responsiveness

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
I really don't get why so many people are bitching about wireless. I've had a logitech wireless mouse (the same one) for over 8 years. It works great, It's lasted through 3 pcs and still works great. The only recently it is becoming harder to charge as the metal conductors on the mouse are beginning to rust. But still it's amazing. And battery life, pft, I usually have to charge it once a week, and I'm on my pc a fair amount. When it's getting down to one bar of 3 I just let it charge overnight. No big deal. As for keyboards I've also been looking at getting one and just plan on getting a logitech one as well since my mouse has been so amazing I figured they have earned more business. Some idiot talking about the lag when you move or type, that's a load of bullshit, either he used a ridiculous POS one or never has and is just too close minded to humor the idea of going wireless.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I have a cheap Logitech keyboard and mouse I use for a PC that renders videos and stuff.

The closest thing I can find to it is this: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/desktop-mk120?crid=27

Cheap and cheerful, not for gaming mind. You can get some serious input lag.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Everyone on this thread telling you wireless sucks need to chill out. I have a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard and they both function nearly identically to my wired ones, except of course with less annoying cords to deal with. The batteries running out is barely an issue, I think I've replaced the battery in my mouse once since I got it over a year ago and my keyboard's hasn't needed replacing yet at all.

If you can buy a mouse+keyboard combo set I would. Usually they go for the same price as a good mouse or keyboard on their own and you'll only use one usb port which is convenient.

Logitech seems like the Steam of PC hardware accessories, they seem way too dominant and ubiquitous but you can't really argue with their quality.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GoaThief said:
Anybody at all?

I know there's a lot of you here, where you hiding PC gamers? ;-)
They could smell the casual on you when you said "Xbox 360 controller."

You know how baby birds will be abandoned if handled by humans?

The_Tron said:
The only recently it is becoming harder to charge as the metal conductors on the mouse are beginning to rust.
Is it rust? You could probably scrub (more like scrape) it down if it is, but most other contact issues can be cleaned up with some rubbing alcohol and/or a standard eraser.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
OlasDAlmighty said:
Everyone on this thread telling you wireless sucks need to chill out. I have a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard and they both function nearly identically to my wired ones, except of course with less annoying cords to deal with. The batteries running out is barely an issue, I think I've replaced the battery in my mouse once since I got it over a year ago and my keyboard's hasn't needed replacing yet at all.

If you can buy a mouse+keyboard combo set I would. Usually they go for the same price as a good mouse or keyboard on their own and you'll only use one usb port which is convenient.

Logitech seems like the Steam of PC hardware accessories, they seem way too dominant and ubiquitous but you can't really argue with their quality.
Honestly, it surprises me to see so many people denouncing wireless. Because my PC is hooked up to the TV in my living room, I've completely switched to a wireless keyboard and mouse. I don't use anything special, though--Just the Logitech K260 keyboard which came with a mouse. The pair was on sale for $30 on Newegg last Christmas. I have a small cache of rechargeable batteries so when one device runs out, I just put a fresh pair in and set the old pair on the charger. But even after playing on the computer for hours I find the rechargeables last for a number of days. Having a wireless keyboard and mouse has not been a detriment to my gaming at all--In fact, it's probably enhanced it since it has allowed me to comfortably use my large screen TV in place of my old small-screen monitor.

The_Tron

Jun 8, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
GoaThief said:
Anybody at all?

I know there's a lot of you here, where you hiding PC gamers? ;-)
They could smell the casual on you when you said "Xbox 360 controller."

You know how baby birds will be abandoned if handled by humans?

The_Tron said:
The only recently it is becoming harder to charge as the metal conductors on the mouse are beginning to rust.
Is it rust? You could probably scrub (more like scrape) it down if it is, but most other contact issues can be cleaned up with some rubbing alcohol and/or a standard eraser.
it's definitely rust, and ya I had to do some scraping just to be able to complete the circuit. It's still more finicky than it used to be. But still I'm not upset about it. I've more than gotten my moneys worth.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
GoaThief said:
Whilst I mainly use a 360 controller for all PC games these days, the immanent launch of Rise of Triad has thrown a spanner in the works due to it's fast paced multiplayer which is right up my alley. Currently I have a Razer diamondback and MS (wired) keyboard combination which I do enjoy but now pretty redundant due to my rig being hooked up to a HDTV.

I've had one poor experience with a wireless bluetooth mk years ago, where the range was poor over a metre or so. This time I'm needing about three and I'm hoping my fellow Escapists might be able to come up with a reliable option to recommend, even better if you've had experience with the product, or even scrapping the idea and opting for USB extention cables.

I'm open to anything you can suggest, and it goes without saying all advice will be much appreciated.

:)
Just browsed through the first few responses and saw pretty much nothing but "WTF?! Wireless?!" But I actually do have a good suggestion: Logitech. They make some pretty good stuff. I'm actually sitting on my couch typing this on a wireless Logitech keyboard because, like you, I've got my computer hooked up to my TV. It's pretty nuts though, the keyboard I have is solar powered o.o

Works pretty damn well though, I've gotta say, and evidently I'll never have to buy batteries for it. As for a mouse, again I've got a Logitech and it works really well. It's getting pretty old though, and now has a tendency to register one click as like, 5 rapid-fire clicks and sometimes I'll have to click two or three times on something for it to register, but I've had this thing for damn near 5 years now so it's about time to pick up a new one. But yeah, if you're looking for good wireless stuff, I'd say Logitech is the way to go.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I've got to echo what everyone else has said.
I bought a wireless mouse because my wired one was acting kind of wonky, and was getting old. (It was useable, but sometimes the pointer would jump to crazy places by itself)

After a week of the wireless one, I switched back to the failing wired one.
They seem to be very nebulous in maintaining the connection to the USB receiver and batteries are a nuisance.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I don't recommend using wireless peripherals at all, the amount of times I've had to swap batteries in the middle of a game is very frustrating and occurs more and more frequently as the batteries steadily decline in quality over time.

For a keyboard I use a Ducky Shine 2 with cherry red switches, was one of the cheapest mechanical keyboards I could find and is excellent quality. Its pretty basic with only a couple of special keys and a very minimalistic, optimized design but has good backlighting. Its very reliable and I'm pretty sure they have a version without a numpad if you want to go even more minimalistic, great value.

As for a mouse I use a Tt esports level 10M, its very similar in design and feel to a Cyborg R.A.T, but it doesn't suffer from any of the horrendous tracking issues people who buy the R.A.T will experience. It has a few extra buttons on both sides of the mouse to be programmed to your needs and has a button for shifting sensitivity on the fly. It also looks really good to my tastes at least and I've never had any problems with it, the most comfortable mouse I have ever used and I have pretty small hands. You can adjust the height of the palm rest and skew the thumb rest according to what grip you are most comfortable with.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks for all the great replies, looks like it's going to be the solar powered Logitech keyboard for me. Still mulling over which mouse but I'll certainly keep the thread updated with choices and feedback once it's arrived.