Wisconsin Teens Claim They Stabbed Friend To Please Slenderman: Update

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
It's times like these that I understand where the NRA and other organisations with similar stances are coming from when they claim that works of fiction which romanticize wanton violence on innocent people may be the problem. I mean, that Elliot Rodger guy who went on a shooting rampage a while ago supposedly adored Game of Thrones and Hannibal, and we shouldn't forget about that guy who shot up that movie theater while claiming to be The Joker.

Some will say that these are all isolated incidents; but to me it looks like a pattern is starting to take shape, and that greatly disturbs me.
Yeah... Because there was never any violence before video games, TV, movies, music, etc. etc.

In fact, Afghanistan under the Taliban was the most violent-crime-free society on earth because they banned this sort of nonsense.

... Oh, wait.

You know what we all need? To stop playing our violent video games, watching game of thrones, reading "catcher in the rye" and listening to Slayer, and go pray for our souls in our local church.

Because if there's one thing that has never led anyone to violence, it's a nice, peaceful thing like religion.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Stu35 said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
It's times like these that I understand where the NRA and other organisations with similar stances are coming from when they claim that works of fiction which romanticize wanton violence on innocent people may be the problem. I mean, that Elliot Rodger guy who went on a shooting rampage a while ago supposedly adored Game of Thrones and Hannibal, and we shouldn't forget about that guy who shot up that movie theater while claiming to be The Joker.

Some will say that these are all isolated incidents; but to me it looks like a pattern is starting to take shape, and that greatly disturbs me.
Yeah... Because there was never any violence before video games, TV, movies, music, etc. etc.

In fact, Afghanistan under the Taliban was the most violent-crime-free society on earth because they banned this sort of nonsense.

... Oh, wait.

You know what we all need? To stop playing our violent video games, watching game of thrones, reading "catcher in the rye" and listening to Slayer, and go pray for our souls in our local church.

Because if there's one thing that has never led anyone to violence, it's a nice, peaceful thing like religion.
Now there, no need for thinly-veiled hostility.

I agree that consuming violent media isn't necessarily the cause of violent behavior in real life. That being said, I can't help but wonder whether or not it can (or does) influence the way people view violence. I know that it's a rather strange opinion to have for someone who enjoys video games - even violent ones - but unlike many other gamers I can enjoy my hobby without dismissing the idea that perhaps it's not great for me. I mean, I know Oreos aren't great for me either yet I enjoy those too every once in a while.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Neeckin said:
That's not even how slenderman works
I've had similar thoughts, although to be fair Slendy does apparently have minions/cultists in the "Marble Hornets" version.

That said, the authorities are keeping this very quiet, so the obvious questions are not being answered. For one, I haven't been able to find anything on that website that includes a ritual like this connected to Slenderman, or find any form of the mythology with such specific instructions. Secondly, the girls claim to believe the site master WAS Slenderman according to some sources.

The girls are only 12, and the big thing I have to ask is if we're accepting this "confession" what details are being used to reinforce it? If this is true, does this mean they had communication with someone over the Internet that had been telling them to do this? If they had planned this for months, and presumably had to be convinced that this was a good idea before that, we're looking at communication that could have started when they were like 10 or 11 years old.

All conspiracy theory and "weird" explanations aside, the way this seems to me is that someone convinced/conditioned a couple of impressionable girls to attempt murder, and it wouldn't be the first time things people have been convinced to do extreme things via communication online, or even through snail mail communication with prison inmates and the like. Being conditioned to kill by some weirdo online might act as a serious mitigating factor, or even absolve them of responsibility, depending on the details. They could potentially be victims even if a lot of people don't want to consider that at this point.

It occurs to me that The Authorities need to either correct people on the motives and stop seeing the online Creepypasta community blamed, if the girls did this on their own for unrelated reasons (jealousy, cheerleading, etc...), or if they are sticking to that story out the people they were in communication with since they at least share responsibility. Claiming to be Slenderman is not that site operator's usual schtick/MO so the big question is when did he claim this to them, or who did, furthermore what happened to the pasta they apparently got these instructions from, it apparently existed, and if it's disappeared or was presented as part of a "private stock" to an underage audience that does point some definite fingers.

I'm vaguely reminded of the Manson cult here, as that was based on a lot of weird sources used to brainwash he girls who committed the crimes. It came down to the belief in the Beatle's occult leanings and hidden messages in their songs that can be interpreted with instructions. Combined with a lot of Black Islam, Manson's "Helter Skelter" was basically about the impending war between blacks and whites which blacks would win, but could recover and return with preparation and by doing the right things. This is based off of Black Islam (Nation Of Thizzlam, Malcolm X, etc...) and it's belief in the ancient scientist sorcerer Yakub, who created white men as a false man to oppress the true black man, but was prophecied to fail with the black man taking his place as the world's rightful ruler after centuries, the time of which of course is approaching (if your curious that's for real, look up Yakub on Wikipedia and other sources). In this case however it seemed to be being done using internet stories, perhaps combined with conspiracy mythology that they (along with certain found footage clips) represent truth being hidden by presentation as fiction, and the proliferation of such things (found footage movies, creepypasta, etc...) so nobody will belief the truth when shown through mass media and commonplace recording.... silly... but we're talking about impressionable 10 and 11 year olds, who were probably both a bit odd to be on sites like this to begin with at their age.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
There's a YouTuber called AlphaOmegaSin who covered this in a video and said that he felt they were pulling the "Slenderman" thing to try for an insanity plea.

Regardless of anything else, this is a horrible thing that's happened, and I hope the kid gets better from the wounds. I just hope that one day she's able to trust her friends again.

Well, not those friends, those harpies deserve every punishment they get, but I mean, you know, real friends.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
The thing is, none of these things depict wanton violence as something "cool" or "appealing" to do. Can you tell me which Beatles song advocates murdering people?
That depends on the mind doing the interpretation. Charles Manson very much believed that The Beatles were calling on him to start the race wars and he heard that in the lyrics. He/his followers wrote "Helter Skelter," "rise," and "Death to Pigs" in blood at the murder scene, which corresponded to messages he heard in the songs Helter Skelter, Blackbird, and Piggies, respectively.

"You were only waiting for this moment to arise"
-Blackbird

"In their styes with all their backing
They don't care what goes on around
In their eyes there's something lacking
What they need's a damn good whacking"
-Piggies

See more here:

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/manson/mansonbeatles.html

------------------

EDIT - one can only imagine what message Manson would have gleaned from Maxwell's Silver Hammer, which The Beatles recorded the following year!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What i find funny is people have killed due to sports, road rage and religion. But they never react against those obvious links...sports, religion and driving. But kill due to a game. They come screaming down to ban game ever.

Glad she survived though am surprised. I hope she get all the help she needs to get past the trauma. I know she will have those scars forever, though i hope she can move on and enjoy life at some point.

Im thinking we will see more of this a parents allow kids to have smart phones that allow them to look at and play whatever they want without supervision. I do wonder what their real life was like to make them live in this fake world.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Ten Foot Bunny said:
That depends on the mind doing the interpretation.
Sure an insane enough mind could construe, say, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" as an endorsement of genocide.

That being said, I think the whole "The games/movies/songs didn't make them crazy, they were crazy to begin with!"-argument while true, misses the point. A crazy person using something harmless as "inspiration" is inconceivable to most of us, but the stylized, almost idealized way some movies, games etc. depict violent, morally depraved characters (think The Joker) really doesn't leave much to the imagination.

SonOfVoorhees said:
What i find funny is people have killed due to sports, road rage and religion. But they never react against those obvious links...sports, religion and driving. But kill due to a game. They come screaming down to ban game ever.
Speaking only for myself, I'm not against violent media for entertainment. Not on principle at least. That said, I do people should be allowed to discuss whether or not violent media is good for people. Attitudes like "They were already crazy!" or "It's just a game so shut up about it!" do nothing but stifle any chance at discussion.