Witcher 2 Patch Fixes Bugs, Removes DRM

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Corporal Yakob said:
This may sound stupid but whats DRM?
It stands for Digital Rights Management, where the "rights" in question translate to "not yours". When you install a game and have to type in a massive activation code before you can play it, that's DRM - it's a system designed to restrict your use of a product somehow, and you're only ever going to notice it because it annoys you or otherwise causes some sort of problem, since it never adds any positive benefits from a consumer standpoint (systems like Steam provide a lot of useful features and convenience along with the DRM so people don't mind, but the features they like aren't because of the DRM but rather in spite of it).

The SecuRom that was bundled with retail versions of The Witcher 2 was just a one-time activation with unlimited uses, so there was none of that "you get 5 installs and if you somehow use them all up it sucks to be you!" malarkey going on, but it evidently caused framerate issues for a lot of folks so I'm happy to see it chucked out the door so quickly.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
So basically the Steam version is now the only version with DRM now, right?

Since in the Steam update history of W2, there's nothing about removing the pesky Steam (or other) DRM.

# Added Troll Trouble DLC
# Fixed DLC download issues
# Fixed Module updates
# Fixed various game crashes
# Expanded Movement Key Mapping includes arrow keys & Number pad
# Fixed NVidia 3D Vision Surround issues
# Improved auto-detect to improve game efficiency
# Fixed bug preventing the completely of the quest "Blood Curse"

Yay for Steam again!
If you didn't want Steam as DRM, you shouldn't have bought it through Steam. Or if you haven't bought it on Steam, what are you talking about? Obviously the Steam version will use Steam.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
Baresark said:
I want to say I told you so... so I will.

A game company came along, and they created a content full game and offered it up to people DRM free. And, it's a game that is worth everyone's dollar if you like RPG's. And what are they getting for it? All the praise they completely deserve for it.

They are my favorite game company now, my absolute favorite.
If I may be indulged, I would like to join the "I told you so" brigade.

I had CDPR as the runner up in my March Mayhem bracket, but unfortunately I was in the minority.

(My winner was Naughty Dog for anyone curious)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
If they keep this up then Witcher 3 will probably only be released on torrent sites.

...Not that it'll make a difference because it'll probably still have the same number of non-pirated copies as Witcher 2.

Azahiel

Apr 7, 2009
Great news and a great move on CDP's side. They did a similar thing to The Witcher 1. However not that fast, it was a couple of patches later.

To add to the praising. Not sure whether there was news about it...CDP announced that they prefer to make a few big payed addons rather than many small payed DLC.
So most likely any DLC like items or short quests will be free in the future.

Also CDP is not only a great game developer, they were and still are the biggest game distributor in Poland.

I recall what they did to the Polish version of Mass Effect.

Not only they released it with quite a good voice-over and translation, but they gave an option to choose the language you like (Polish or English). An option I like very much, because I almost always prefer the original voices over dubs. Too bad it's a rarity...
But, most importantly - they released the game without SecuROM!

Now Mass Effect 2 was released by EA directly, so...DRM, not so good Polish voice-acting, no choice whether or not you want English or Polish dub (unless you dig around in the game files), problems with DLC support.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
AMAZED said:
I will probably sound stupid asking this but what is the DRM?
It was a release date checker. The first time you ran the game disc, it queried an online server to ask what the date was. If it was still before release, it stopped you running it. So, seeing as the release date's been and gone, it made no sense to keep it.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Actual said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Now that is an excellent sentiment!
Too bad I probably won't play this, as there is so much (MMO)RPG goodness that has better gameplay. And I value gameplay over story/setting in my RPGs. Of course the really good ones nail both! ;)
Sorry, it's my bed time and I'm sleepy so may have misunderstood you. The Witcher 2 is a single player RPG, it's has no MMO aspects, or feel to it at all.

In my, admittedly not worth much, opinion the combat gameplay is excellent, somewhere between Dragon Age 2 and Demons Souls. Simplistic in theory but difficult to master. Hard mode is a real challenge too, I actually had to turn it down but I'm confident I can manage hard on my second playthrough.

OT: I freaking love these guys, I want to have sex with their business plan and have little baby documents. I have actually bought the game twice, for me and once I'd played it for a friend I knew would love it.
I wrote that there are so much more appealing games in the RPG genre that appeal to me more. One of those is WoW (I'm currently on hiatus), Torchlight (got it last week) and the upcoming Diablo 3. I am sure this is a nice game, maybe even a good one. But my budget allows not much spending. I just wrote this to clarify my original statement, I'm not trying to call you out or anything. You where tired and just misread. Going to bed now myself ;)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Camarilla said:
AMAZED said:
I will probably sound stupid asking this but what is the DRM?
It was a release date checker. The first time you ran the game disc, it queried an online server to ask what the date was. If it was still before release, it stopped you running it. So, seeing as the release date's been and gone, it made no sense to keep it.
Wow, these guys really do believe in only having DRM to protect a game in development.
Massive, massive kudos to CD Projekt! I hope they read this :D

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
TestECull said:
I'm half-tempted to buy a copy just to support a lack of DRM. It's something the entire industry needs to adopt. DRM does not, never has, and never will work.
To be fair, DRM technically works, insofar as the functionality is there.

The problem is that it targets the wrong people.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
TestECull said:
Not really. Witcher 2 is evidence enough of that, copies with DRM suffered more glitches and a significant performance hit compared to DRM-free versions.
Kinda my point.

DRM actually does "work", from a technical perspective. It limits the things one can do with the software.

The problem is that those limitations are imposed on the legal customers instead of the actual pirates, since they just remove it.

Maybe I'm just not explaining it well, but what I'm trying to get at is that DRM works, just not as intended.

Sebster 105

Feb 27, 2011
I've noticed much better performance, to the extend I can turn the gfx up a bit,

BUT, there's a delay in conversations

Hello, Geralt
Hello, Triss

you get me?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Yes. You are awesome. Thank you.

Someone finally gets it. Dont punish the regular gamer, but dont help the Pirate.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
The more I hear about Witcher 2, the more I want to take everyone at CD Projekt out and buy them a drink.
This game is completely unapologetic about the content, and what I have seen of gameplay looks solid. But if I bought this game now, I would have to kiss away seeing some good movies this summer. Patience will be my power.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
This and the fact the game is amazing, is why I'm seriously debating buying another copy of the game to give away. Greedy publishers, please take this as an example of what great companies can do.