Witcher 2 Price Goes Up Down Under

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
kman123 said:
Typical. I'm surprised though, if I went to say, EB Games and bought a hard copy it would cost easily 100 bucks. So comparably...it's STILL cheaper.
They are being punished because they are offering the game at a really low price? Sometimes I love free enterprise. Stops crap like this.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Don't know if it'll work but it may be worth simply going to the EU or US versions of digital download sites selling The Witcher 2 and seeing if you can buy it from there. It works sometimes for D2D and is worth a shot at least.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
remove stuff increase price ... force people to pay more for less with no good reason did a renegade prompt come up or something?

ok theres gotta be something ilegal about this someplace right? something in in fair trade?

Im not Australian but I still think this is a load of crap

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Since this is online distribution, can't Australians just buy the version a different country gets? Or are there some sort of legal ramifications prohibiting this that I don't know about?

It's not hard or illegal to use the IP of another country... and with other digital distribution services the country you are from doesn't even enter into the price, or anything important at all for that matter, as far as I know.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
And to think I was considering buying this game.

*sigh*

I suppose I could always pre-order it and then get another copy from elsewhere.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Huh. "having the nicest beaches tax" that Yahtzee mentioned sure seems to be ballbustin'

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Man, what a bunch of douchebags you have running the "show" in Australia.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
ZombieGenesis said:
I hereby declare it OKAY in the law of my own little world for Australian gamers to pirate EU or US versions of The Witcher 2.

Would be my pitch line if I wanted to be elected in Australia.
Given how many gamers there are in Aussie land, and how much they seem to hate the current system, I think it's a good plan...
That would be pretty cruel considering the developers have already removed DRM to see if it reduces pirating. Just do the sensible thing, tie 15 duck billed platupi together and head over to New Zealand.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Well this kinda sucks,I feel for you guys living in Australia.

Hope you will be able to get(somehow)the uncensored version,else without the excess of the "goodies" that the game has to offer,the game won't be the same.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
ThisIsSnake said:
That would be pretty cruel considering the developers have already removed DRM to see if it reduces pirating. Just do the sensible thing, tie 15 duck billed platupi together and head over to New Zealand.
Nah, if you went over to New Zealand you'd still be paying through the nose for the game (plus the same censored aussie version of Witcher 2).

When I was over in NZ for christmas, I wandered through many of the game shops there and they were all ridiculously overpriced than what I could get back home in Canada. Infact, in order to buy some of the games that Steam has on sale during the Christmas holidays, I had to work with Steam Support to have my Canadian account tagged so that I could make purchases while in NZ. The price differences from the north american to southern hemispherian were an eye opener even on Steam discounts (and game availability).

edit - must type faster and spell better

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Jaeger_CDN said:
The price differences from the north american to southern hemispherian were an eye opener even on Steam discounts (and game availability).
Indeed... and guess what prompts that? Publishers setting the prices on digital distro so it doesn't have a massive advantage ove the local physical distro.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Shamus Young said:
This is probably the best look we've gotten at Aus. distribution that I've seen in years. I've always wondered why prices were so high down there. Government? Retailers? Publishers?

This deal points directly at distributors.
Correct.

It was even worse in the days of 'dual importation' laws which basically made it illegal to import media that was already under a local publishing and/or distribution deal... regardless of how long the physical distro of that deal may have taken (wasn't uncommon for Aus to get music releases pushed back as far as 18 months).

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
ThisIsSnake said:
ZombieGenesis said:
I hereby declare it OKAY in the law of my own little world for Australian gamers to pirate EU or US versions of The Witcher 2.

Would be my pitch line if I wanted to be elected in Australia.
Given how many gamers there are in Aussie land, and how much they seem to hate the current system, I think it's a good plan...
They removed the DRM?

Okay out of principle I shall now buy Witcher 2.
Despite not giving a damn about playing it.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
ZombieGenesis said:
They removed the DRM?

Okay out of principle I shall now buy Witcher 2.
Despite not giving a damn about playing it.
I'll just qualify this by adding that The Witcher 2 only has no DRM if you buy it from GOG.com... which you should do anyway, GOG is awesome ;).