Witcher 3 Devs "Trying to Get Rid of DRM"

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I don't think I'll ever get tired of CD Projekt Red saying they won't use DRM, well not until it becomes the norm for more developers at least :p

Until then get ready for more of my money CD Projekt Red.

TKIR

Sep 7, 2011
Entitled said:
People shouldn't expect LOWER piracy rates just because a game doesn't have DRM, pirates will pirate.

World of Goo also lacked DRM, and when it reported a 90% piracy rate like every other game, everyone was in an uproar as if the general audience just broke some unsaid agreement about making an exception and not pirating it at all.
I wonder how many people pirated it and played a few levels and just decided that it just wasn't a game for them. Lots of pirated content that people enjoy ultimately ends up a sale in the end and conversely lots of people just dislike the content they have pirated.

Geralt Witcher

Apr 4, 2013
I think they might use one-time on-line activation (download a small part of the game) to make sure pirates don't start playing before legitimate game owners. And a month after launch they will get rid of one-time activation in all newly produced/available copies.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
"When we removed DRM, people on those torrents were actually asking people not to download our game."
That is pretty much a standard comment on every single game/music torrent and has nothing at all to do with drm.

Dr.Awkward said:
The best DRM is to remind players and would-be pirates that people built this game, not robots. Whether is was lovingly or grudgingly depends on the workplace environment, though.

Wouldn't you find doing a wrong harder if it had emotions and feelings attached to it?
Not not really. The emotions and feelings of some random person I dont know and dont give a shit about will never effect my actions.

To all you idiots out there who might take this the wrong way. I am not saying that I pirate games I am just making a simple statement.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
The whole "lock-comparison" is inaccurate, since nonbody who should be stoped/hindered by DRM actually is. The people who crack/hack the games do so for fun and sport, and the "enduserpirate" never ever encounters the DRM, since the people who hacked the game already got rid of it for them. They mostly dont even have to wait, most games are released on those websites on the official release date, or very shortly after.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
A lovely sentinment, and much respected, but nope...

Sadly, there's Sim City 5, which basically forces you to get butt-holed while playing, and still it sells like hotcakes...

So it 'won' basically on all levels, because it's also impossible to 'crack'