With Great Power ...

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
SpiderJerusalem said:
moviedork said:
Seventh Actuality said:
I look forward to more hate for Peter Parker's floppy hair and hipster getup. "We love Spidey because he's a nerdy outcast, and we can all relate to...wait, he's not OUR KIND of nerdy outcast? WHAT A HIPSTER EMO **** LOL"
Kind of odd for someone to complain about considering that hipsters are the nerds of today.
Except, you know, shallow, store made, lifeless versions of nerds. They're the hot topic variety of nerds, marketed and created to have kids buy into this variety of "cool" for now.
Let's look at the hipster steretype:
Social isolation from "cool" people- check
Accepted by their own subculture- check
knowledge of obscure or independent pop culture- check
Unique fashion sense- check
Teased and ridiculed by the majority- check

Sounds very much like the outdated, stereotype of the nerd/geek culture.
Hipster-ism is a fashion statement for some and not a lifestyle but you can also say that about punk rockers or geek/nerd culture.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ccesarano said:
Some of the complaints here I can understand, but others are genuine biased nitpicking. There's no "maybe Bob is biased" about it. Picking on how Peter Parker is dressed and the hoodie he wears is all aesthetic. It doesn't actually change the substance of the film, and let's face it. Hollywood having a character wear that current era's popular fashion? NO WAI.
I'd call it "petty" more than "biased."

I don't have HIGH hopes for the film, but it's like he's going out of his way to find anything possible to hate about it.

Far as Captain Stacy goes, I'm hoping there's a character arc there. I'm cool with him starting off as a dick, long as he goes through some sort of progression.

animehermit said:
I think a lot of the dislike Bob is having with this movie is more to do with the general non-outcry of the fandom. A lot of people are looking forward to this now. At the same time looking back at the Raimi films and realizing that they weren't as good as we remember them being(and not just the 3rd one). I think he views it as a bunch of people shitting on a great director, while praising the guy who did 500 Days of Summer (which is a really good movie).
Personally, I've never liked Sam Raimi and thought he did a lot to get the Spider-Man franchise wrong. I kind of wish there was more outrage at the time, and not petty crap like Spidey's web-shooters. Yeah, I prefer the mechanical ones, but it's not that big a deal in the long run. Parker's character was butchered (as were many of the mains), and I cannot picture this movie being any worse on that front.

As a tangent, I often hate "ITC" rants. Now, there are some elements that shouldn't be messed with. Bob has a salient point with Uncle Ben. But a lot of the comic stuff isn't that integral. Again, labcoat. When you switch media, you present things different. hell, different writers can have different ideas in the same media, and we often see retcons happen to fix disparate concepts. Spidey himself has had a pretty screwed up past, even ignoring his parents.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This film just isn't going to be for me, whether it's good or bad.

The previous movies had some levity with a dash of camp which fit Spider-Man perfectly. This new film is trying to be The Dark Knight to a tee, and even there the boring and bland grittiness was a detriment.

Not saying they should've continued with the previous movies, because it was pretty clear that by the third movie the magic was gone, but this whole endeavour feels like a flat attempt to keep Spider-Man in the picture.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Re-boot...? I have stuff in my freezer that's older than the last movie! That is not a good sign! For several reasons...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm with Bob in this one, judging by how many things they could possibly get wrong with one single 2 minute trailer, I think this one will join the stinker along with Spidey 3.

The Lizard looks almost exactly (or at least resembles) like Killer Croc from Arkham Asylum, I don't want a humanoid Lizard, say whatever you want about Mainframe/Mist Walker's Spidey CGI series, at least I liked how those guys portrayed Lizard as a huge humanoid iguana, instead of someone who looks like a bad imitation of Hulk with tail and claws.

Also, dark + broody = bad.

I don't approve this.

At least they got it right with the web shooting mechanism, but still, I don't have high hopes with this one.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
I can't take Denis Leary seriously as an actor, because all I hear from him is Ice Age's Diego.
Or that bit on the simpsons, where he screams my tots really seriously, yeah I went there.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Has anyone seen the image of killer croc, were he has a human shaped head, but reptilian features. Now lets look at some of the images in the Spiderman trailer. Is anyone else getting a disturbing feeling that the similarities are more than coincidental?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
anthony87 said:
I'm not really getting the whole lab-coat complaint. What we have is a scientist who tries to regrow his missing arm and ends up turning himself into a big lizard monster who apparently looks wrong because he doesn't keep his lab-coat?
Hulk kept his pants, the Lizard kept his coat. It was just one of those things.

What *I* hate is how human the lizard looks.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Its good to know that in the course of a few years we went from Emo Douche to Hipster Douche as our main protagonist.

To be honest, I just dont feel there was a need for his. I still dont really see why you couldnt just redo the third one, since one and two were rather solid films. I mean, we didnt just go redo the whole x men series just cause three sucked.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The Parkers being secret military scientists and Captain Stacy hating the shit out of Spider-Man are parts of the storyline in Ultimate Spidey. Of course, they're not exactly following any of the main plot Ultimate Spider-Man had so that's probably forgiveable. (And, screw you Bob! Ultimate Spider-Man was fucking awesome)

Also, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the whole Uncle Ben thing doesn't happen until the end of the film - hence setting up the entrance for Mary Jane. I can't remember where I read that though, so it could be total nonsense.

kman123 said:
I can't hear your criticism over the sounds of Marc Webb, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.

I'm fucking hyped for this. Go ahead, shoot me down.
And I got to agree with this. Marc Webb directed what is possible my favourite film of all time (500 Days of Summer) and Garfield and Stone have just been in some cracking films, from Never Let Me Go and Social Network for the former and Easy A, Zombieland and Crazy, Stupid Love for the latter.

And Martin Sheen as Ben Parker? TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
I know MovieBob is a smart guy, but no one would deny that he's also really opinionated. I'll give this movie the benefit of the doubt... for now.