Witness The Evil Within's Terrifying Gameplay

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Witness The Evil Within's Terrifying Gameplay

Watch 12 minutes of "pure survival horror."

Earlier this week, our own Josh Vanderwall gave a [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10391-The-Evil-Within-is-Pure-Survival-Horror]first-hand account[/a] of Bethesda's upcoming survival horror game, The Evil Within. Now, you can watch a 12 minutes gameplay demo and see what the buzz is about for yourself. It's like having your own personal E3 demo, only without the all the waiting and pervasive sweat-esque odors.

The video is part of Sony's Playstation Livecast, and is narrated by Bethesda's Pete Hines. The Evil Within comes from Shinji Mikami, the father of Resident Evil, and Hines talks a lot about his intentions for the game. First, it's not an action-horror hybrid, it's "pure survival horror." Stealth plays a huge part, as ammo is very scarce. To wit, Hines confirms that The Evil Within will kick your ass: "We don't want it to feel like oh this is just really easy and I can make mistakes and I'll be fine. Part of the survival aspect and the horror aspect is creating that tension."

They spend a good potion talking about the games graphics, which come courtesy of ID's Tech5 engine. If the demo looks too good to run on current gen consoles, that's because it's not. [a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-14-the-evil-within-gameplay-trailer-is-bloody-disgusting]According to Eurogamer[/a], it's running on a PC.

The Evil Within launches on PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4 next year.

Source: [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pfw2MUoEdM4]Games HQ[/a] via [a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-14-the-evil-within-gameplay-trailer-is-bloody-disgusting]Eurogamer[/a]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
So, is it called "The Evil WIthin" [sic], "The Evil Inside" or "The Evil Within", OP? :)

Eh, just for Playstation? Not going to play it then. It also looks very basically "jump-scary" and gory and may involve too much combat. If there's a video review, I'll be sure to read/watch it, though, just out of curiosity.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I like the cut of this game's jib. Think I'll be picking it up- although I would have anyway, considering that Shinji Mikami is on the dev team. He's never done me wrong before.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Skeleon said:
Eh, just for Playstation? Not going to play it then. It also looks very basically "jump-scary" and gory and may involve too much combat. If there's a video review, I'll be sure to read/watch it, though, just out of curiosity.
I think that just has to do with the presentation - You know, it's a Sony event... So no mention of Microsoft eventhough it'll be multiplatform.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Hold up.
Look closely at 1:42. The giant combat knife he just cut himself down with and would've been really useful in his situation goes poof into thin air.

Though I guess it could just be in his inventory or something.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Funny how "12 minutes of pure survival horror" turns into 4 minutes of footage, repeated twice, followed by Batman.

That being said, this seems really cool. I'm looking forward to this coming out.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Looks very lackluster, like very outdated design.

That tripwire part is really mediocre, even if the player noticed he couldnt do anything about it.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I seem to remember the developer saying the game was going to use older techniques/ideas like the pre-rendered backgrounds and whatnot.
Was I crazy or did that never happen?

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Actually I am worried. Great 'games' have a mechanic the player can rely on, even if the actually outcome cannot be totally forseen by the player.

The way, they cosntantly change the mechanics to keep you on the edge, like they seem to want to do, esp. with enemy behaviour, will make gameplay on this one a mess.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
gotta say, this looks fairly dull which is a shame.

although ive only seen this small bit of game play so i guess i will wait for a bit more detail

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
bliebblob said:
Hold up.
Look closely at 1:42. The giant combat knife he just cut himself down with and would've been really useful in his situation goes poof into thin air.

Though I guess it could just be in his inventory or something.
Also would have been really useful a few moments before when the bad guy was unarmed and had his back turned. Forget calling for back-up, END THAT FUCKER!
Exactly. Then again, maybe this Sebastian fellow has seen enough slasher flicks to know that role-reversing the main baddy never works out, especially when using his own weapon. So leaving him be was actually some brilliant quick thinking.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
Actually I am worried. Great 'games' have a mechanic the player can rely on, even if the actually outcome cannot be totally forseen by the player.

The way, they cosntantly change the mechanics to keep you on the edge, like they seem to want to do, esp. with enemy behaviour, will make gameplay on this one a mess.
They aren't going to be changing the actual mechanics though; in reality it's just that things are going to pan out differently more often than you see usually. Enemies will still follow patterns, they just won't be set patterns so you can't learn patrol routes etc.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Pete Hines is a well documented liar. You can't really trust anything he says.
Then again, Mikami is a master. Hmm...

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Looks like it could be hit or miss. But I'm intrigued, I hope it's as puzzle based as they say.

Skeleon said:
Come on man, it's right there in the article.
IanDavis said:
The Evil Within launches on PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4 next year.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Lovely Mixture said:
Come on man, it's right there in the article.
I either missed that - mea culpa, mea culpa - or it was edited like the typos. But Casual Shinji is right, it might've been due to them not saying a word of it in the video, too. I watched the presentation, but skimmed the article.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Jamous said:
BloodRed Pixel said:

They aren't going to be changing the actual mechanics though; in reality it's just that things are going to pan out differently more often than you see usually. Enemies will still follow patterns, they just won't be set patterns so you can't learn patrol routes etc.
Hopefully. But already the part where "shooting in the face might or might not work and they stay or won't stay dead" sounded too arbiratry to me.

Of course this is very early footage and thus should not be leading to unbased conclusions.
But I think they have a long way to go or at least to bake the code into it's final form.

captcha: attila the hun

yeah, everybody wants to get a-head.

Feb 9, 2011
I wish it was actually showing the game play instead of just showing the same scene over and over and then panning back out to listen to these two folks chat about it. *sigh*

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
Jamous said:
BloodRed Pixel said:

Hopefully. But already the part where "shooting in the face might or might not work and they stay or won't stay dead" sounded too arbiratry to me.

Of course this is very early footage and thus should not be leading to unbased conclusions.
But I think they have a long way to go or at least to bake the code into it's final form.

captcha: attila the hun

yeah, everybody wants to get a-head.
Can't argue with the headshots point, though it'll probably end up being like Dead Space's creatures. They played dead quite a lot. The only issue I can see here would be the ridiculous scarcity of ammo and stuff. Oh well. I'm certainly going to be checking it out, I guess I can only wait to see how it plays.